LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How long has Lyme been around?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long has Lyme been around?
4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had severe back pain, fatigue and "fog" since 1981, diagnosed as fibromyalgia. Tried literally everything, but no relief. I was backpacking on Vancouver Island 3 months before mysterious onset of symptoms. My 13 year old daughter has had mysterious symptoms her whole life, but the last year developed virtually every symptom of lyme & coinfections. She is a medical mess. We're working with a LLDR and are on the way to a diagnosis for her. I think I gave it to her via breastfeeding for 2 years. Does anyone have any experience with this? Was lyme around in the early 80's in central Calif. or Vancouver Island? Since her symptoms are so severe, will they put her on IV abx? Can lyme be fatal?

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IMHisda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IMHisda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MarlaSue

Yes, Lyme has actually been around and in my newspaper when I was a kid (Michigan) (70's). Yes you can get it from breastfeeding. Yes, some people die from complications of Lyme (heart issues, cancer, etc.) I would take this very seriously. maybe IV trx or HBOT might help if really severe. Has your LLMD worked with someone as severe as yourself or your daughter? Might be good to find out. I've had it since 1990.

--------------------
RV

Posts: 249 | From Healing in USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome marla,

lyme has been around 100 plus years, but was given the name LYME in 1970s when LYME, CONN. kids got this disease and alan steere was called in to solve it!

lyme is also bioterrorism created by our US govt. at PLUM ISLAND across the river from Lyme, Conn. [cussing]

also go to SUPPORT and read the LYME OBITUARIES post; many young kids!! [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually,

There is belief that the Tchefuncte Indians (500bc to 300ad) may

Have been infected with Lyme disease.

Guess which river I live on? [shake]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MarlaSue - I was bit in 1981, probably in the Big Sur area. I presented with fibromyalgia. Clindamycin abx, 150mg 4x/day, worked for me for six months.

I've talked with someone who says she was bit in 1951 in the Santa Barbara area - that's the furthest back I've heard of around here. Maybe others have more info.

I think the Lyme bacteria is a very old bacteria, dating back perhaps 400 million years.

Best to have your daughter work with a really experienced LLMD.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, are garnii and afzelii (sp) infections as hard to treat

as those with burgdorferi (for MarlaSue--this is the weaponized

one.) are?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borrelia burgdorferi has been found in hundreds of years old ticks in the British Museum and actually borrelia burgdorferi DNA was found in the well-preserved body of a child from 1000+ years ago that was found in a Louisiana swamp!!!
That's near you, eh Geneal*)!*)!??? So it HAS been around a looooong time!

WELCOME MarlaSue*)! I am in Aptos, California, Santa Cruz County, which has the #1 infection rate in ticks in all of California, 17.8% of adult ticks in Nisene Mark State Park!!!

22% of people who get Lyme develop fibromyalgia as Doc Steere of Yale documented early on- it is a common Lyme symptom!!!

I had horrible fibromyalgia and it is 100% GONE with treatment.

If you ever want to call, my number is 1-831-662-2895 and West Coast Daylight hours are best (except wait until Monday if you call this weekend because my older daughter is having a seven girl sleepover for her birthday and the house will be chaos VERY sooN!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Anyway, YES Lyme is VERY MUCH in California and was documented there early on. I will post that for you!!! Way back in 1979 California was identified as being a focus of Lyme disease.

There is a yahoo group called CaliforniaLyme for all Lyme patients in California and we have a local one in SC County called SCLyme if you happen to be here!!!

We also have Babesiosis and Ehrlichiosis in california which are two common tick borne infections often occuring with Lyme- and people don't get well unless treated for everything they have- they are treated with different meds than lyme so they can be identified as Post Lyme Syndrome even if Lyme has been successfully treated-

ANYWAY,
WELCOME TO LYMENET*)!*)!

Fibromyalgia sucks- I am so glad to have mine gone!!! We have great Lyme docs in CA and many take insurance.

Best wishes,
Sarah
in Aptos, CA
1: Annals of Internal Medicine 1979 November

Cases of Lyme disease in the United States: locations correlated with distribution of Ixodes dammini.

Steere AC, Malawista SE.

Lyme disease, defined by erythema chronicum migrans and sometimes followed by neurologic, cardiac, or joint involvement, is known to have affected 512 patients in the United States.

The disease seems to occur in three distinct foci:

along the northeastern coast,
in Wisconsin,
and in California
and Oregon,

a distribution that correlates closely with that of Ixodes dammini in the first two areas and with Ixodes pacificus in the last.

Residence in or travel to endemic areas and history of tick bite may be important clues to diagnosis.

PMID: 496106

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart goes out to you and your little one. We are here if you need help.

BTW-

Spirochetes have been found in the midgut of a termite that was fossilized in solid amber... which was determined to be millions of years old.

Yep, even older than ME!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement