LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » POLL - Quinolones: Cipro, Levaquin, others

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: POLL - Quinolones: Cipro, Levaquin, others
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are all aware of the dangers emerging of the quinolones, some of us are afraid to use them and are trying to avoid them. One of my LLMD's told me "floxing" is extremely rare, the drug does more good than harm. Both LLMD's I see will and do prescribe them. Burrascano in a video at a conference, says Levaquin has cured some of his patients.

I have taken Cipro pre-lyme w/o any adverse effect. However, according to this site ( http://www.fluoroquinolones.org/ ) we all have a "threshold" after we reach it we could be "floxed".

At medications.com Levaquin is listed second as the most reported drug w/ side effects, you can check any drug side effects posted by actual users of the meds here: http://www.medications.com/drugs

The truth is EVERY abx has some (serious) adverse effects that could occur, Flagyl is one of the worst. If we avoid these drugs,is it possible for some of us to get well?

SO....

Lets get some experienced FACTS from users of the quinolones, that will help all of us see if more people are helped or hurt by this class of drugs.

Copy and paste if you'd like to your post:

1). Have you used a quinolone?
2). Any good or adverse effects?
3). Were the effects (good or bad) long lasting?
4). What lenght of time were you on them?
5) Would you use them again?
6) Quinolones are more dangerous (supposidly) if used w/anti inflammatory such as Ibuprofen -if you used this drug did you take it with an anti inflammatory and was there any adverse effect?

[ 10. February 2008, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yes, Levaquin for a few months for Lyme/Bart, Cipro a few times for UTIs

Major improvements on Levaquin. No adverse effects.

I back tracked, but am still better than before I used the Levaquin. But I have other issues, such as mercury toxicity that need to be dealt with and I have liver/pancreas problems that were probably caused by Ketek (the abx I took after Levaquin) that have slowed my treatment.

I think 3 months. Cipro has been 3-8 days a time.

Yes

6) Quinolones are more dangerous (supposidly) if used w/anti inflammatory such as Ibuprofen -if you used this drug did you take it with an anti inflammatory and was there any adverse effect?

No, I don't take anti-inflammatories.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mushroomman06
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mushroomman06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. used quinolone?
Yes- Cipro

2. Any good or adverse effects?
Helped put a stop to new pains in body. At this time do not have a positive answers to effects, will have a better idea as time goes on.

3. Were the effects good or bad long lasting?

I believe the effects where good and as stated it has put a stop to the pains that where increasing thru-out my body and no new ones have developed. As of now they are good long lasting effects,

4. What lenght of time were you on them?

4 months at 2 aday, 500mg
2 months at 1 aday 250mg
Had a one month break as I was concerend about tendon pain thats when it was adjusted to 250mg.
Not on cipro at present

5. Would you use them again?
Yes

6. Quinolones are more dangerous (supposidly) if use w/anti inflammatory such as Ibuprofen-if you used this drug did you take it with an antu-inflammatory and was there any adverse effect?
No

Posts: 108 | From maryland | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottie
Member # 9956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scottie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Levaquin. In Oct 2007 5 weeks, developed Achilles pain (tendonitis), then retried in Dec 2007 for 3 weeks. While on it the second time I developed severe ear ringing, headaches, and eventual knee pain.

Some of my Bartonella symptoms did resolve so it definitely works in some ways. However, I think I was floxed. About 3 weeks after having stopped it for the second time I developed severe insomnia along with the ear ringing that has never gone away (very severe ear ringing) and other CNS stuff (headaches, adrenaline rushes, CNS agitation)

Because I am so distracted by the floxing it is hard to determine what is Lyme and what is from the levaquin. I don't know if the floxing is long lasting, but I certainly hope noe.

Total of 8 weeks

Every individual responds differently to all meds so if you have not used Levaquin (or another Quinolone) and you have resistant Bartonella than you should consider trying it. Personally, I wish I had not tried it but I have been in treatment for over 2 years and had resisted using Levaquin because of the possible ``floxing'' effect. However, nothing was working so I became desperate and desperate times call for desperate measures. Though I wish I had made a different decision, given my options I don't think I could have - if that makes sense. I want to get better so I will do all I can, conventional and alternative, to try to do so. There have been so many folks who have had great experiences with Quinlones so you just never know.

I used Advil a few times while on Levaquin but I have no way of knowing if that added to the floxing. As an aside, if anyone who reads this and has been floxed, if you have some positive experiences (recovery) to share that would help as I need some positive thoughts!

Posts: 90 | From massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a bad headache at first, and it slowly went down, I thought the headache was from the bugs, I found out recently Have babs too. I have weird pains, but I had them before I took the levaquine. I stopped for 1 week after 4 weeks and my hand and foot pains are back, so trying another month, maybe.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for responses, interesting and informative for all of us.

I read at the quinolone site that it is possible symptoms of floxing can takee 5-6 years to resolve.

Scottie, lets hope that these are lyme symptoms and will disappear w/treatment. Other options for bart/ehrlichia are Doxy, mino and/or Rifampin.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yes. Cipro for 21 days, and Levaquin for 12 weeks.

Felt immensely better on both.

I was taking Cipro for another infection, felt bad at first, then felt great. Once I stopped it, I got worse again.

So we started Levaquin and after six weeks progressively got better until I felt fine. Now I'm weaning off all meds.

Cipro 21 days, Levaquin 12 weeks.

Yes.

Yes, I did use anti-inflammatories as needed.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I was given Levaquin after an appendectomy for an infected incision site.

Had to stop taking it because the tendons in my thighs and calves felt like they were about to explode; I also felt agitated and anxious.

The bad effect of the tendons took 2 1/2 months to resolve after stopping abx.

Only on Levaquin for 8 days when the tendon stuff started. Stopped immediately and switched to Keflex.

No. I'm pretty apprehensive about adding tendon ruptures to my laundry list of complaints!

never used it with an ant-inflammatory.

C'est tout,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjeennnniiee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymebytes,

Yes. Cipro and Levaquin.

I had no problems taking Cipro. I got floxed with only one 500mg Levaquin pill and without a doubt, thought I was going to die for months.

Extremely bad for 6 months, bad after another 6 months, and 75% improved after another 6 months. I'm still concerned I may have some permanent damage, but only time will tell now.

I took Cipro many years ago for a number of months. I took only one 500mg Levaquin pill in August of 2006. Apparently, I had already reached my threshold and didn't know it, until I took it.

No. I would rather die, because honestly, that's how horrible being floxed is. You can't possibly even imagine what it feels like, until it happens to you.

No.

I hope this helps you! [Smile]

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------
My Lyme dx:11/05. My Mom's Lyme dx:5/16. ISO ASAP-Lyme Literate Dr & Neurologist-Prefer IL, IN, KY, MO, OH, TN. Can travel farther. Finances limited. Prefer Drs take Medicare or Payments. Need great list to find best fit. Tyvm.

Posts: 701 | From Owensboro, KY | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BartonFink
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BartonFink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yes. Floxin.

TOTAL LIFE DESTRUCTION.

See the side effects list, I got more than half of them, mainly cns/pns symptoms. Still very sick after 2 years.

1 day.

NEVER.

No I didnt take them.

[ 16. February 2008, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: BartonFink ]

--------------------
Please dont suggest "ask your LLMD" because we dont have them here in this country... [Frown] I just have to count on you fellow patients. [Smile]

Posts: 246 | From Finland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeflox
Member # 10543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeflox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Brother in law (BIL) twice.

First time thought he was herxing because there was no much tendon pain, and he thought that tendon pain was the symptom of quinolone toxicity to watch for.
We also thought that the symptoms were lyme symptoms because some of them were present before the antibiotic.
Second time brutal "herxing", that in fact was a floxing, and most developed along the months after ending the treatment.

First time one and a half years.
Second time seven years and counting.

BIL was on them 4 weeks first time and 2 weeks the second one.

He cannot take any quinolone at all, not even the relatively small amounts that most meat, commercially raised fish and dairy contain.

There is not a supposition, but a fact. Combined with anti-inflammatories the adverse effects are stronger.
BIL did not take any NSAIDS, but know of many people that did, and some got very long lasting brain damage (6, 7 or 8 years, and still not well), and two committed suicide due to the severe anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts caused by the levaquin.

He had taken cipro several times before, but apparently the drug was building up in him over the years. The summary is also <>

Posts: 94 | From canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good poll, Lymebytes. Interesting responses.

Has anyone used Avelox? That's the newer generation Levaquin that's not supposed to be as bad.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow. i know some people have remarkably positive responses to cipro and levaquin but reading this poll there's no way on earth i'd take either one of them, ever.

interesting info. thanks for starting this post.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
). Have you used a quinolone?

1. My 9 year old (at the time) daughter did-Cipro.
2. Cipro assisted in clearing a strange osteomyelitis and was chosen after she had renal failure from initial treatment of IV gent and ceftriaxone.
3.The ID people cautioned us that the infection might never resolve. In fact, it was totally cleared up.
4. She was on it for 305 days (ignorance is bliss-I was warned about the tendons but who knew about floxing?)
5. Based on HER experience, I'd try them if my LLMD wanted me to. Fortunately, he doesn't!I do need to remind her to remember this issue for the rest of her life, though. She was on it a LONG time.
6. Noone told us this. Thankfully she was pretty much out of pain after the surgery and IVs so I doubt she took anything.

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement