LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Looks like Bug Bites, I think it may be herxing anyone else

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looks like Bug Bites, I think it may be herxing anyone else
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never had this before, so I wanted to ask here, I think it is a herx, but I have not had a herx like this ever. I have been on antibiotics for 28 months nonstop, and I am still not well
I have gotten some parts better but I am not well yet, something worse,

but I am seeing another LLMD to see if he can help me along.

I was on minocycline, when these tiny bite like marks started, NOW stopped Minocycline, I then was put on Azithromycin, and now I am on my 8th day of azithromycin and the bite like marks are mostly on my wrists, and now on my inside thigh, getting worse, all over inside legs.

they itch, the look like ant bites, but they are not. Some are on my legs but mostly on my hands and wrists, I have had the liver and bloods tests

come back normal, I had undiagnosed lyme and tick infections for about 14 years before treating, and I have been treating for 4 years off and on.

ODD, never had these bite like things from a herx. They itch severely, some look like tiny blisters, they are so itchy I dig my nails into them, I try not to scratch to avoid scarring.

anyone else have this? I thought it was maybe a reaction to azithromycin but because I had them start when I was on Minocycline, now off minocycline and on Azithromycin I think they are a herx,

I am getting skin itch too, on my back, inner thighs, and I have to take a brush to scratch it sometimes, like a deep acid burn itch, I try to not scratch, some places on my legs I scratched

so hard, I have purple marks from it, but the bite like things are only on my wrists and hands some are on my inner legs but not as bad as the wrists,

and they dont itch all the time, just when I herx??? I think.

Thanks,

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tis late.. but a couple of questions so the early birds can chirp in here to help you in the morning.

Do you have pets? Birds, cats, dogs, etc?

Mites, chiggers, fleas in the house?

Were you tested for Ehrlichiosis? Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever?

Have you contacted your doctor in the event it could be an allergic reaction?

Does Benedryl help?

Have you been tested for Bartonella?

Hope once they get more info... it might help them answer you questions.

Night night...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DakotasMom01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotasMom01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May Be Allergic Reaction!!

My dau had this last week from too high a dose of amoxy for an ear infection and it took a week to go away. She wasn't allergic before.

Perhaps some calamine lotion will help with the itching. Its generally used for posion ivy. Dau dosen't have Lyme, but it sure helped her with the itching.

Hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Take Care,
DakotasMom01

Posts: 371 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had similar bite like bumps during treatment on my inner thighs mostly. Especially when on Bicillin.
Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocycline gave me itchy bumps like bug bites.

It was (for me) an allergic reaction.

No problems with doxy though.

Call your LLMD. Maybe stop meds and see.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone,

As I can see here 1 person had it and it seemed like a herx, am I correct that you thought this dontlikeliver?

I was on Azithromycin a couple times before and never had this.

I will put in a call to the LLMD tommorrow if it gets worse.

I am on nothing else but Azithromycin, probiotic, and yogurt.

I dont think I can stop Azithromycin because my breathing is not good, air hunger if I stop it,
I am awaiting to get on Mepron soon, to be treated for Babesia.

I will see how I do, this is scary, because I hope it wont go to my breathing if it is an allergic reaction.

I dont think I can breath without this azithromycin, so will just keep a close watch.

It is tough to know because others had this and most was a bad reaction.

It is a good thing I am not on the Mepron too now, because I would have thought it was the Mepron doing this, and not the Azithromycin,
because I have never had the Azithromycin do this before to me,

Good thing I started only the Azithromycin first
and wait to start Mepron soon.

thanks everyone,

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've known people to have an allergic reaction to Zithromax 2 weeks after stopping it. It stays in the system a long time.

Better safe than sorry.

If you even suspect it is allergy related.. the zith WILL stay in your system.. so my advise would be to contact your doctor ASAP.. or another doctor... and/or stop the meds till you can reach a health care professional for their advise, since it is the weekend.

I am NOT a doctor and this is only my opinion. I share my opinion here because allergic reactions can turn real bad, real quick and I am concerned for you.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Trish,
Welcome to the 20 month+ plus club, I am in the same boat - some symptoms better others worse or even NEW!

I didn't read all responses, but did you show these "bite marks" to your doctor? Could it be a reaction/side effects to the abx?

I can't think of what would cause this except a big guess here - Bart? I know Bart can cause skin eruptions of all kinds, not just stretch mark type.

Sorry not much help.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

thanks,

I took the Azithromycin at 11:30 AM today and I have not had any itching yet, I took 500mgs.

I also was taking Nystatin during this time, and stopped it today and only took Azithromyin and will see if I get the bug bite marks now.

Maybe it was from Nystatin?

I am not sure, I called the Pharmcist and he did not know, he said it could be allergic reaction, and to take an antihistamine and if it got better the itch, then it was an allergy, I

have not taken an antihistamine because the itch has not occured today, so I will see.

Maybe the itch will start later, or maybe the itch was from nystatin?

I dont know, I am SICK of all this BS from this disease. I am SOOOOOOOOO sick of it, so many reactions and you dont know what the heck is what

and it is just a nightmare for me, and then to top it all off, there is much more.

Gotta vent, just sick of it, all this. In October of this year it will be

5 YEARS doing all this, I went off antbiotics twice, and relapsed, so here I am. I now know

better for me, some can treat herbal or whatever else, I cannot.

Venting.

Trish

Health
Member # 6034

It is 6:40 PM and the bug bite marks are coming again, my right inner thigh is like an acid burn itch and the bug bite marks sting and itch like heck. I took the 500mgs of Azithromycin at 11:30AM.

I thought it may have been from the Nystatin, but it was not. I dont know if this is a herx, or not.
I am going to call the LLMD tomm and see what the LLMD says, and I am going to stop it,

I had something similiar happen but with Tetracyline and Tinidazole, but it happened after I was on this combo for 2 months, My LLMD at that time wanted me to stop these meds, I did, hives gone, then a few days later started only the

tetracycline and I never had any hive or reaction, so it must have been the Tinidazole. I am on day 9 of the Azithromycin.

Acid itch burn, and hot as heck with tiny bite like marks, and I dont know what it is.

AND then it is causing throat swelling too, and this is a herx sometimes for me. Not sure what it is.

Trish

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said..

"AND then it is causing throat swelling too, and this is a herx sometimes for me. Not sure what it is."

If you are having a possible allergic reaction.. and/or throat swelling...

Go to the hospital.

Now.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Health
Member # 6034

Im going to get some Benadryl, that is what they say to take.

If that fails, then up to the Hospital. I hope not.

Trish

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Health,

In my case, they did not appear to be an allergy, but I really don't know what they were. They were not hives though, more like flea bites and symmetrical on insides of both thighs.

I think you should stop your meds though and see a doc if this is new for you though.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Health,

In my case, they did not appear to be an allergy, but I really don't know what they were. They were not hives though, more like flea bites and symmetrical on insides of both thighs.

I think you should stop your meds though and see a doc if this is new for you though.

DLL

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
health; me too; stinks doesn't it!? [cussing]

i've had this for 10.5 years; started before i left work due to my health; and also during time of taking warm water exercises thru pt and using jacuzzi afterwards.

then came my chemical sensitivity to CHLORINE so the ended warm water exercies doing me alot of good.

mine get blister like also; my elbow/arm run a HIGH TEMP!

i've found that; dog gone it; i can't rememer what it's called right now. it's white powder used for thickening gravy!

it helps me tremendously; some soak in the tub with it. do a search at top of page, and you'll find detailed posts that have helped others like you/me.

fyi, NEVER on the meds you were on; was NOT on any antibiotics when this all started either so it makes no sense.

went to dr.; had 4 skin biopsies; 2 were "unknown bug bites"! gee, i can't imagine what that would be. [rant]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Trish,

'They itch severely, some look like
tiny blisters, they are so itchy I dig my nails
into them, I try not to scratch to avoid scarring.'

This is not an attempt to frighten you,
but I've heard that same description given by
folks at the emergence of Morgellons symptoms.
It matches my initial experience.

Immediately after starting Cat's Claw,
Olive Leaf Extract, and Kyolic Immune formula 103
with Oregano, those symptoms started to subside.
If your itchy problem doesn't improve, you may
want to give these supplements a try.

Roughly 90% of those with Morgellons have
Lyme disease, but the reason why is not known.
If you go to a physician for the bumps and itching
though, it is best not to mention Morgellons.
Their knee-jerk reaction will most often result
in a DOP stamp on your medical file.

It is relatively safe to mention mites, or other
arthropod bites. If you go to a dermatologist,
go to one that knows how to use a dermatoscope.
Not many do.

Blue Skies.........John

Posts: 134 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bettyg:

i've found that; dog gone it; i can't rememer what it's called right now. it's white powder used for thickening gravy!

Corn starch?

[Wink]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
michelle, correct .... CORN STARCH! thank you M!! [group hug] [kiss]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

thanks everyone,

I put in a call to the LLMD this AM.

I NEVER had these before, they just started 5 days after starting Azithromycin and I have NO pets here or bugs in the house. Clean house here.

They are not itchy all the time, they are not itchy now. My last dose of Azithromycin was 500mgs at 11:30 AM yesterday. I just took it again, the Azithromycin at about 1PM today.

Today, I had itchy bumps in the AM, and now I have NO itch, but I am sick, and so took the 500mgs of Azithromycin.

I did NOT have these itchy bumps or rash until I started the Azithromycin mostly. I dont know if any of you are following what I am saying, sometimes we miss what someone says here because we are sick.

SO, I dont know what this is, I am on day 10 of Azithromycin, 500mgs once a day, and am to start Mepron if I can get in the next little while.

I have 2 positive babesia tests from IGENEX.

I have bendadryl on hand, and I dont know if this is an allergic reaction because I called the Pharmcist and one said tiny bug bites do not sound like an allergic reaction, but he said he cannot say for sure,

so I am going to watch what happens in the next day, and if things are worse today, then I will have to stop this Azithromycin.

I am SICK, and I think I am worse today with the all over body sickness because of Babesia OR it could be just the toxins, I dont know, I have burning all over my body, breathing not good, and

I think??? it is babesia, getting worse, or one of these diseases, they say if your symptoms are worse, in a day, it is not Lyme,

So the new LLMD wants to treat me for babesia, and so I hope that this is not an allergic reaction,

I will see. I am only scared because of my breathing if it gets worse if this is an allergic reaction, my breathing is OK now, I struggle with it, but not because of babesia I think.

I hope that my breathing will be ok today after I took the Azithromycin. I am very out of it with brain fog now, all over the place.

thanks, and I will write what becomes of all this.

Trish

tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Trish!

I have had EXACTLY what you're talking about! Before getting dx I was getting the flea bite thing happening. My ex-primary care dr. said you must have fleas in your house (I don't). He put me on allergy meds which I stayed on for 4 mos. When I came off, they came back along with hives (different from flea bite thing) and a prickly sensation in my ears, mouth, face, chest and upper arms and pain in my lungs.

I went to a new primary care dr. about this and he suspected Mycoplasma. He said it can cause the weird hive-like things happening to me.

My tests came back through the roof positive and he put me on Doxy. At that point he thought my other symptoms sounded like Lyme despite neg. tests and sent me to a LLMD.

I know now that Myco symtoms can be identical to Lyme. He originally put me on Doxy for the Myco for 10 days but I found an article saying Myco can need long term abx like Lyme. He was receptive to it and prescribed 12 wks.

I saw the LLMD after being on Doxy for 6 wks. and she took me off and put me on Ceftin (which doesn't cover Myco). I was nervous about this b/c of the article I read about long term abx for it) She said it should be gone after 6 wks. of Doxy.

I felt terrible on the Ceftin. The pain in my lungs got excruciating and I had to back down on the dose and thought it was a herx. Maybe it was but I also suspected the Myco wasn't gone so I went back to my PCP after 8 wks. of Ceftin to get retested and sure enough I'm still positive for Myco.

So my LLMD put me on Zithromax to cover both Lyme and Myco and my lung pain is WAY better. Also, when I was having the herx (or whatever it was) on Ceftin, she started me back on allergy meds just in case.

I have not had the flea bite things or hives after being on Doxy for awhile. I felt them kind of coming on while on Ceftin and haven't had them since being on Zithromax.

The allergy med I'm on is Claritin (regular, not Claritin-D). Actually, I just take the generic kind which is Loratadine. I cannot take Benadryl b/c it has the opposite effect on me. I get wired instead of tired.

So, have you been tested for Mycoplasma? I'm thinking that maybe b/c Zithromax aka Azithromycin treats Myco that maybe you were herxing on the Azythromycin with Myco symptoms?

Let me know! PM me if you don't mind in case I don't come back to this thread for some reason. Good luck!

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobidor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobidor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what I found on Herxheimer reaction:

Source: Ken Lassesen's Web Site
www.walyme.org/LD-Herx.htm#_Toc159929700

The most common symptoms include:

Increased joint or muscle pain

Headaches

Chills

Heavy perspiration and night sweats

Nausea

Burning micturition

Bone pain

Swollen glands

Bloating

Constipation or diarrhea

Fever (usually low grade)

Hypotension (low blood pressure)

*****Itching, hives and rash (sometimes mistaken for an allergic reaction - this must be an md's call)***********

Heart palpitations, elevated heart rate, orthostatic tachycardia

Good luck,

Julie

Posts: 209 | From Montreal, QC, CAN | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement