LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Poll--how long do you generally go between relapses?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poll--how long do you generally go between relapses?
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 2 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the relapse-remission cycle fairly regular, or does the

severity of and amount of time between relapses keep changing?

Do you get back to 100% during each time the illness remits, or is

each slightly

worse than the one before?

How many years of his/her life should someone like me,

who contracted it as a teen, expect to be symptomatic?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With mine, I haven't noticed any type of cycle. It's just some days I feel okay and some days I feel terrible. I haven't really been able to pinpoint a cycle of herxes or anything like that.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of now it is not known whether or not

Lyme can be cured any of
the means we use.

There was actually a study, according to Randy Sykes, in

which Bumsteere and company found half of an initial

population of Bb alive and well after 14 days in a petri dish

of Rocephin. (It wasn't stated whether or not they

were in L-forms.) So yes...not a very effective drug (even

though it's supposed to be the best. Certainly by itself it

can't solve your problems, it seems.

[ 17. February 2008, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: adamm ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on IV Rocephin two times for eight weeks each. Both times I have made great progress and felt much better. Unfortunetly I have relapsed with in four months of each treatment. In my case the relapses have brought new and different symptoms than before. Overall I am 50% better than I was before being treated with the Rocephin and some days I actually feel about 80% but it doesn't last. On orals now and most likely will be for a long time.
Posts: 142 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paula 007
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula 007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't diagnosed until 8 years after bite and bull's eye rash (in Fla back then, Lyme wasn't supposed to exist).

Anyway, started treatment with IV Rocephin eight weeks. From there, have been on antibiotics over 3 years. Am so close to my first remission (according to my LLMD and the way I feel).

I take 200 mg Doxy am and pm AND
250 mg Azithromycin am and pm

I have always thought IV Rocephin was a start - not the whole treatment. And, I have never read where there is a cure. Just a series of remissions - hopefully, very very long ones.

In prayer..........

Posts: 108 | From Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No cycle, does what it wants when it wants at anytime!

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymebytes:
No cycle, does what it wants when it wants at anytime!

Yep! Same here.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I contracted Lyme as a child and had random symptoms through HS, mainly fatigue, leg pain, shoulder pain, and back pain.

In college I had my first flare up that was disabling. It resolved on its own with rest, exercise and sunshine.

That happened twice more. The third time I had my amalgams out, got into health food, exercised, etc. I was healthy after that for 12 years.

I finally got diagosed a little over a year ago and am really close to remission right now.

You can get the upper hand on this and lead a normal life. If I had had the benefit of knowing it was Lyme when I was a teen, I would have had even more good years than I did.

Now I feel the best I've ever felt. [Smile]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not been online barely at all but this thread caught my attention then made me want to respond because it referenced me by name.

In fact, MomfromTexas referenced me by name, alluded to my recovery on Rocepihn and then wondered whether those who recovered on Rocephiin really had Lyme at all? SO let me assure you, I had tick bite, EM rash, onset of symptoms and positive serology. Lyme disease.

QUOTE from MOmFromTexas

Other than Californialyme and a handful of others almost everyone relapses after being on IV Rocephin, and it takes from 2 to 3 months.

When they relapse many times new symptoms show up and many times they are worse off.

Some say when they relapse they are not as bad, but those such as CaliforniaLyme, rather than completely stopping antibiotics when they stop Rocephin, have just switched to an oral.

I am starting to wonder if use of IV Rocephin is a ticket to chronic Lyme!

If it's ability to prevent and repair the nerve damage from the chemical produced by the spirochetes allows it to appear to be killing the spirochetes when in fact it is doing nothing.

That the one or 2 people that have managed to recover on it actually did not have Lyme but possibly something else?

UNQUOTE

That's weird to read all those anti-Rocephin comments, Momfromtexas, because you commented on this thread

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=062445

so I KNOW you read it- and by far and away everyone did NOT relapse and only one said she was worse off later on. Everyone else said they would do it again EXCEPT for that one person.

Maybe the strong language from the one person who got worse made a bigger impression than all of the people who had lasting improvement.

I am bringing this up because it is important not to downplay what can be a neuro Lymies greatest hope. No, IV Rocephin doesn't work for everybody, but it sure works wonders for some of us.

I think the strong language of the one person must've made a bigger impression than the rest of us- here- so you can see, again...
Take care,
Sincerely,
Sarah

Topic: IV Rocephin Poll
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor
Member # 7686

posted 17 January, 2008 01:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am interested in understanding more of people's experiences on IV Rocephin. If you could answer the following, I would appreciate it.

1) How long did you do IV Rocephin?
2) Did you do any other IV treatments?
3) What % improvement did you have while on IV Rocephin?
4) Did you relapse after stopping?
5) If you relapsed, to what point did you relapse?

a) Back to where I started IV
b) Worse than when I started IV
c) Some, but still was better after IV

6) How long have you maintained any gains from IV therapy?
7) Did you do 2g x 7d or 2g BID x 4d a week?
8) Would you do it again if you knew then what you know now?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

--------------------
In Better Health,
Scott (aka "The Better Health Guy")
Contributor to "Public Health Alert"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 3191 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005 | IP: Logged

Michelle M
Frequent Contributor
Member # 7200

posted 17 January, 2008 02:22 PM
1. IV Rocephin for 30 days. 2 grams daily, 7x/week.
2. Did not appreciably help that I could tell.
3. I had (unknown) babesia WA-1 which may be why.
4. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

Michelle
Posts: 2820 | From: Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005 | IP: Logged

CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor
Member # 7136

posted 17 January, 2008 03:34 PM

9 months.

no.

from bedbound with gross neurologic Lyme & incipient dementia to almost normal- -10 to 95%
add in Babesiosis tx, which like Michelle M had not been done before IV, and I went to 99%.

No, I transitioned to orals.

Have kept all gains for 8 years now.

Have kept all gains for 8 years now.

2 grams once a day for 7 days for 9 months.

Yes, absolutely. It saved my life.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5627 | From: Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005 | IP: Logged

sfcharm
Frequent Contributor
Member # 9392

posted 17 January, 2008 03:45 PM
Scott,

(Just started my seventh month).

No but I am going to inquire about Magnesium IV and Levaquin IV.

3) What % improvement did you have while on IV Rocephin? Saw no significant improvement till December of this year which would put me at five months into Rocephin IV treatment.

I have not stopped yet and expect to continue for nine to twelve months.

5) If you relapsed, to what point did you
relapse?

I just had gallbladder surgery 10 days ago and felt a slight relapse from the surgery. I feel however I'm making those gains back. I'm back on my elliptical doing 30 minutes daily.

Prior to gallbladder surgery I felt I was 90% back to where I was prelyme diagnosis in June of 06.

I am currently doing 2grams every single day, seven days a week.

I also am at Tindamax 1000mg since early October.
I would absolutely do it again even after losing my gallbladder.

Scott,

I did one year of orals and six full months of bicillin at 4.8 million units a week prior to starting Rocephin on July 1st. I believe I was already at 70% before starting the Rocephin IV. From what I've heard and read, the Rocephin IV turn the corner moment comes around the 4th-6th month. In my case it took that long but the improvement was dramatic and noticeable.

Barb in San Francisco
Posts: 118 | From: san francisco | Registered: Jun 2006 | IP: Logged

merrygirl
Frequent Contributor
Member # 12041

posted 17 January, 2008 04:34 PM
1. 30 days
2. No
3. 25%
4. Some, but still was better after IV
5. started to feel worse after stopping the Rocephin
6. I think I would be a lot more ill if I hadnt
had rocepin

7. I infused 2g x 7d
8. Without hesitation

--------------------
Fight or Flight!

Posts: 1426 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007 | IP: Logged

listenswithcare
Frequent Contributor
Member # 10719

posted 17 January, 2008 04:45 PM

5 months

Yes, 2 months after Rocephin, started IV Vitamin C, magnesium, B5, B6, B12, glutathione. Once per week, still getting them.

Neuro - 75% improvement

I backslid some, but not alot

c) Some, but gained back that ground already

So far, since Sept. 07 - 4 months

2g X 7d

Yes

Robin
Posts: 216 | From: Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006 | IP: Logged

WildCondor
Frequent Contributor
Member # 434

posted 17 January, 2008 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SForsgren:
I am interested in understanding more of people's experiences on IV Rocephin. If you could answer the following, I would appreciate it.

3 months

not at the same time, but afterwards, multiple combinations

HUGE...about 75%

No, because I started IV Zithromax afterwards plus other orals with it.

Yes, going on 6 years.

Stared with 2g/daily, then 4 g daily...then added IV Zithromax

Of course, but I believe combinations are essential. Must treat co-infections. I do not believe that one single antibiotic at a time is the answer, it has to be combinations and for extended periods.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

--------------------

WildCondor's Lymelinks & Lyme Story

LymeWorld Support Group

Posts: 5466 | From: The Lake | Registered: Nov 2000 | IP: Logged

kam
Frequent Contributor
Member # 3410

posted 17 January, 2008 06:43 PM

NOt sure. Wish I had better records of what I took and for how long. But, was just not up to it.

I recall taking it twice. In 2006 for several months (perhaps 6 months) and possibly a couple of years before that...2004? (guessing 6 months)

Sorry...I would prefer to give you more accurate info.

Do you mean while on the IV rocephin? Yes.

...When I first started I went through a good cycle and thought viola...but it did not last.

A good cycle meaning I was able to do a little bit more.

The second time I did not have a problem with giving myself the infusions. The brain was working better.

I felt it was slowly getting my brain back. I was a pretty sick puppy.

...I can't recall. I know I have had ups and downs with this since it hit big time in 2001 with and without meds.

I would do it again. With me it is a slow climb up the hill.

..Again, with me it is not one thing but it seems like a little of this and a little of that.

..it was 7 days a week. one bag. Guessing 2g x 7d

...yes.

--------------------
Life came to a stop in 2001. DX and started treatment in 2003. Currently taking amoxy, sulfur drug, lecithin, DMAE, probiotics, Vit C, Ginko Biloba, B Complex, podi patches and enjoying xango. Water Therapy, oils for sleep

Posts: 4395 | From: Undercover in AZ | Registered: Dec 2002 | IP: Logged

Patrick
Frequent Contributor
Member # 8108

posted 17 January, 2008 10:55 PM
Hi Scott,

This is an interestting poll I'm very curious to see what others have experianced. Thank you for starting it.

1. 70 Days First Time 2005
60 Days Second Time 2006
2. No
3. First Round 80% Improvement
Second Round 50% Improvment
4. Yes - Big Relapse After First Round
Found Co-Infection After Second Round
5. Better Than Before Starting IV.
Relapse Brought On Different Symptoms I Had
Not Had Before IV.
6. First Round 3 to 4 Months
Second Round 6 Months
7. First Round 2g 7 Days A Week
Second Round 4g 5 Days A Week
8. Even Though It Cost Me My Gall Bladder The
Over All Gain I Got From Rocpehin Was So
Enormous I would Not Hesitate To Do It Again.

Patrick
Posts: 137 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2005 | IP: Logged

fatigued15
Frequent Contributor
Member # 6437

posted 17 January, 2008 11:44 PM
I am answering this for my daughter

3 months stopped due to gallstones

After Rocephin IV Claforan with no results and presently on IV Doxy

slow but steady, memory, brain fog, etc. improved. IV Doxy is showing a faster response.

Stayed the same when on Claforan.

Still on it.

2g once a day

YES!! Taking oral abx at the same time as IV

Momfromtexas
Frequent Contributor
Member # 13726

posted 17 February, 2008 01:24 AM
UP

This is a very interesting and useful post.

Please share your stories with us!
Posts: 128 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2007 | IP: Logged

Tincup
Frequent Contributor
Member # 5829

posted 17 February, 2008 01:52 AM

One month first time

Three weeks second time- became allergic to it.

Yes. Penicillin 2 times.

Zero.

Yes.

Worse than when I started IV

2 months max.

1 gram 1X day for one month. Doctor then realized he messed up the dose and re-treated with 2 grams a day for three weeks until the allergic reaction hit.

NOPE!

--------------------
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance...

```````````````````````````````````````
I only do what the Rice Krispies tell me to do.

Posts: 5246 | From: The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004 | IP: Logged

daise
Frequent Contributor
Member # 13622

posted 17 February, 2008 03:20 PM
6 months, pulsed 4 days on, 3 off. 1 gram infused twice a day.

No.

About 50%

No, I went immediatly to 10 months of LA Bicillin shots in the butt and orals.

5) If you relapsed, to what point did you relapse? N/A

A year and a half and still on antibiotics.

2g BID x 4d a week.

In a heartbeat. I am grateful I got my meds paid for! I am now 75% better overall and fatigue has improved 80%. I look to get even better, now with bart treatment and possible babs treatment in the future.

Daise
Posts: 258 | From: Mtns & desert | Registered: Oct 2007 | IP: Logged

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement