LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Antifungals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antifungals
sammy1
Member # 12754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to kill systemic yeast....question for anyone. I have diflucan, nystatin and nizoral. I really want to kill the yeast, so would you combine meds and hit the yeast hard OR space out the meds to make them last? Thanks
Posts: 82 | From philadelphia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi sammy1,

Well, I have taken Nystatin and Diflucan together, but not Nizoral. I would check with your LLMD or call a pharmacist to be sure if they can be taken together.

Depending on how bad your yeast is just taking Nystatin all by itself could cause die off.

Sorry I could not be of more help, good luck with killing the yeast.

--------------------
God Bless You! Everything..is just my opinion.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christineutopia
Member # 14614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christineutopia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DO YOU THINK THE DIFLUCAN TAKES AWAY THE SYMPTONS?I HAVE BEEN ON DIFLUCAN FOR 2 YEARS AND I STILL FEEL NUMB AND TINGLY IN MY FEET AND PARTS OF MY STOMACH AND BACK. DO YOU THINK THERE IS A BETTER ANTI-FUNGAL? CAN YOU TAKE IT WITH AN ANTIBIOTIC?
Posts: 12 | From Pa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I took Olive Leaf Extract for the two months I was on doxycycline. I had no trouble with candida at all.

=================================

excerpt:

" . . . At low concentrations olive leaves extracts showed an unusual combined antibacterial and antifungal action . . . ."

http://tinyurl.com/2ref85

Molecules. 2007 May 26;12(5):1153-62.

Phenolic compounds and antimicrobial activity of olive (Olea europaea L. Cv. Cobran�osa) leaves.

Pereira AP, Ferreira IC, Marcelino F, Valent�o P, Andrade PB, Seabra R, Estevinho L, Bento A, Pereira JA.

CIMO/Escola Superior Agr�ria, Instituto Polit�cnico de Bragan�a, Campus Sta Apol�nia, Apt. 1172, 5301-855 Bragan�a, Portugal.

We report the determination of phenolic compounds in olive leaves by reversed-phase HPLC/DAD, and the evaluation of their in vitro activity against several microorganisms that may be causal agents of human intestinal and respiratory tract infections, (namely)

namely gram positive (Bacillus cereus, B. subtilis and Staphylococcus aureus), gram negative bacteria (Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae) and fungi (Candida albicans and Cryptococcus neoformans).

Seven phenolic compounds were identified and quantified: caffeic acid, verbascoside, oleuropein, luteolin 7-O-glucoside, rutin, apigenin 7-O-glucoside and luteolin 4'-O-glucoside.

At low concentrations olive leaves extracts showed an unusual combined antibacterial and antifungal action, which suggest their great potential as nutraceuticals, particularly as a source of phenolic compounds.

PMID: 17873849 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow....I was fighting yeast and was first put on Nystatin, then Diflucan, then the combo of Nystatin and Diflucan and then Nizoral ALONE. Never mixed with the other two.

With that, I continued with a very very strict candida diet. But because my bart was coming back, my doctor had to change me to Levaquin and then just Nystatin since I guess Nizoral and Levaquin don't mix well.

But with this said, I never had all three taken at once. I do think my LLMD had said that Diflucan and Nizoral were too similar to mix, but hey....with brain fog, don't rely on that totally.

Check with your doctor or the pharmacist on what you can and can't mix. I definitely relate to your feeling that you just want to smack the yeast out of there as hard as you can.

I'm like Keebler in that I'm mixing in some homeopathic or naturopathic remedies to combat the yeast to go with my Nystatin right now. Things like the Olive extract and some product called Candidate. Doing a Conlonix cleanse in hopes of cleaning some garbage out. We do get desperate though.

Good luck and let us know if you find a winning combination.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't forget to put the good stuff back...good probiotics

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't mix your meds.

Nystatin is NOT absorbed into the blood, it stays in the GI tract. For systemic yeast, Diflucan is a better choice. You should not need 2 of them. If you have oral thrush (white tongue and mouth) then you may need Nystatin swish and swallow in addition to your systemic antifungal. Dont medicate yourself w/o talking to your doctor. Antifungals can be hard on the liver so don't play around with this and OD.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sammy 1,

I agree with WildCondor.

Talk with your LLMD.

Be sure to take good quality probiotics to replenish your colon with good bacteria.

Hi christineutopia,

Yes, you can take it with antibiotics--and should, especially with heavy antibiotic use. Bring it up with your LLMD.

daise [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chia Pet
Member # 12399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chia Pet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many naturals that can help combat yeast. A very good product is Candex. It targets the candida cell membranes and is not supposed to give you a herx.

Also, I take that, Kyolic garlic, Theralac, which goes right to the gut. I take 3 different probiotics 3X a day.

Theralac, Metagenics, and Saccarymyces Boulardi.

You might also want to try Cumanda from the Cowden protocol, but it can cause a Lyme Herx.
The Cumanda has been shown to be as effective as Diflucan.

The olive leaf extract is good too.

Candex though has been a great addition since it has some kind of enzyme that prevents stomach acids from lowering its potency.

Posts: 85 | From here | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement