LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Nose Bleeds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nose Bleeds
kim6869
Member # 14484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kim6869     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have nose bleeds since having Lyme's??

My daughter has been getting really bad nose bleed out of both nostils that bleed for up to 30 minutes every 14 days.

We went to a LLD on Monday and she has now started Ceftin once a day and gets a nose bleed at least once a day. I have been told that nose bleeds are not a symptom of Lyme's but they started at the same time as most of the other symptoms.

Just wondering why?

--------------------
Thanks,

KIM

Posts: 13 | From MD | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WillBDone
Member # 14269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WillBDone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed last November with Lyme. Over the summer leading up to it, I was having serious nosebleed issues in the left nostril.

I had gone to see an ENT who cauterized it, which only seemed to make things worse. I was seriously concerned about the quantity of blood I seemed to be loosing during this time. I felt weaker and weaker...

In hindsight, I may have had Lyme and not known it at that point.

The ENTs advice was to keep applying Neopsorin in there multiple times daily and if things didn't improve we would have to pursue more extreme options.

When I began Doxy in November for Lyme, I noticed a dramatic reduction in the amount of nosebleeds I was getting.

I will still get very minor ones every once in a while, but nothing like the gushers I was getting last summer.

--------------------
"You play the hand you're dealt. I think the game's worthwhile."

C. S. Lewis

Posts: 36 | From Illinois | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kim6869
Member # 14484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kim6869     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for letting me know. Everytime I mention this to any of her doctors they tell me that you do no get nose bleeds with Lyme's. They say it may be something else, but have no idea what. Our new LLD is the only one that has said it could be related to lyme's.

I am glad that she is not the only one that has had them. I am also very sorry to hear about your problems.

--------------------
Thanks,

KIM

Posts: 13 | From MD | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DakotasMom01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotasMom01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if they are from lyme or not.

They can also be from the driness in the air with your heat being on. I seem to get them more in the winter.

Maybe a cool mist humidifer would help. Or a bit of saline spray/mist.

Hope she feels better.

--------------------
Take Care,
DakotasMom01

Posts: 371 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hides1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hides1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son had them really bad since he was little and he was diagnosed with Lyme, Mycoplasma and Babesia. They would gush and never stop it was awful. Over the past year during treatment they have stopped coming as frequently and we may only see one once every 4 months. I take my son to Dr. J in COnnecticut and he does see many Lyme kids who have bloody noses. He thinks the Lyme messes witht he sinuses and every time you have a bloody nose the area doesn't heal properly-that's why my son consistently always had it in the Left nostril- never in the right.
Posts: 238 | From Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son, who does not have lyme, gets nose bleeds in the winter. My neighbor's doctor told her to put vaseline on a Q-tip and lightly coat the

inside of the nostrils before bedtime. I tried this on my son (the saline spray didn't help), and it definately has made a difference. Some

people have blood vessels in the nose that are close to the surface, and crack open when dry. The vaseline forms a protective layer against

the dry air. Maybe the medication is drying your daughter's nose out and/or lowering platelets (clotting factors)in the blood?

(BTW, I do have lyme and never get nose bleeds.)

Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think nose bleeds are symptomatic of bartonella.

Just a thought.

Hope she feels better soon.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she is using a cell phone or a cordless phone, take it away from her.

My ex-husband used to get nose bleeds all the time when we were together, and he had a brain tumor removed last year.

Likewise, my mom had a severe nose bleed that put her in the hospital, and she needed blood transfusions. Not long after this she was diagnosed with lung cancer that had spread to her brain.

I'm not waiting for the "experts" to tell me that nose bleeds are brain bleeds.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have them. Started with the rest of my neuro lyme symptoms (approx 2 years ago). Saline soution helps, especiaqlly in winter time. You can buy it at any drug store.

Good Luck.

Posts: 213 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fyi, - i had non-stop nose bleeds; they did 2 nose septoplasties on me ... straightening my SEPTUM between the nosrels.

didn't stop the nose bleeds.

didn't know i had lyme then; misdx for 34 years during both operations.

run a humidifier in her bedroom and during times she is home; may help quite a bit! [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capebite
Member # 9789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capebite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 10 yo daughter has lyme and bart and also as frequent nosebleeds since she became ill. Better since on Zith and Rifampin.
Posts: 67 | From cape cod | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement