LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » WOW - My vision cleared up BIG TIME

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WOW - My vision cleared up BIG TIME
broguearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for broguearcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost all of the difficult symptoms that I've been experiencing have gone away since I've gone to a tightly restricted diet. About all I eat is plain cooked meat such as Chicken thighs/legs, cooked veggies and probiotic yogurt.

My red, itchy, seeping eyes are better. My eyes don't hurt in bright light as they once did and my fatigue is certainly less than it was. This is a blessing and it's a major encouragement to stay the course and keep eating this way. It really has payed off!!

All LD/Yeast sufferers must seriously consider how their symptoms may be directly linked to their diets.

Posts: 183 | From Craley, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Brogue,

How long have you stayed the course with your diet?
Ive had beenon a pretty good diet before but i was eating some fruits and lots of chicken.
After i went and did a live blood analysis ive switched my diet over to a complete alkaline diet to try and get my blood ph back to alkaline.

I was told that once this is achieved many of the symptoms dissapear. I dont know how true it is but i also read that in Rosners book.

It might not neccesarily be the yeast that was causing all your symptoms but the acididty. You might be more alkaline now after your diet.

JOe

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this way too. I have to eat only meat and veggies. I cant have sugar or fruit or anything like that, especially flour.

Its something with the yeast issue or inflamation or both.

I dont think our symptoms are caused directlly from the diet but rather the diet is contributing to the symptoms.

This week Im going on that diet. We will see if I loose any weight. It should be interestign.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

For myself, GLUTEN is the best thing to just toss out of my life.
I see so many benefits from avoiding it. Here are some other very interesting pieces on nutritional health:

Ayurvedic perspective

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/welcome/

From The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook by Alan Tillotson, Ph.D., A.H.G.,D.Ay.

Typing in ``diet'' on this main page brings many sections. Here are just a few that explain food choices according to Traditional Ayurvedic Medicine (TAM):

====================================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/diseases/special-diets-for-illness.html

Special Diets for Illness

In 1978 I helped Dr. Mana to edit a book he wrote called The Eastern Theory of Diet (Bajrcharya, 1978). In this book, Dr. Mana shows how diets can be developed based upon body type, seasonal fluctuations of weather and the taste qualities of different types of foods using the energetic concepts of Vata, Pitta and Kapha.

The important thing I saw was his ability to offer dietary advice in complete harmony with his understanding of the disease process. Ayurvedic doctors in the past took the time to classify all common foods and spices via the TAM system of energetics.

Therefore, if a person has a Pitta (inflammatory) disease, and was being given herbs to reduce Pitta, it only made sense to prescribe a diet containing foodstuffs that also reduced Pitta.

Following his lead, I developed a list of six diets that address the most common energetic imbalances seen in the clinic. It is based upon the common TCM and TAM diagnostic concepts of heat, cold, dampness, dryness and wind.

If you figure out the major causative factor(s) in an illness, you can easily prescribe a diet that will help overcome the problem. A simple example--if you have stomach inflammation, you would not eat a chili pepper, and if your digestion is weak and sluggish, you would not want to eat a heavy steak.

These energetic suggestions cannot be counteracted by saying, for example, "Steak contains iron, and when you are weak you need iron." That is, the energetics of the food can sometimes take precedence over individual nutrient considerations. If a person has sluggish digestion and needs iron, they should get it from an easy to digest source.

To keep it simple, I have left out cold and dry as separate entities. If there is heat, it drives out cold. If there is dampness, there is no dryness. Also, I use these as a starting point, and modify them according to individual needs.

Remember, these diets are used during herbal treatments, and are not intended to be used all the time. Moreover, a common misunderstanding is that they are based upon the energetics of the foods, not their specific nutrients.

Therefore, for example, tomatoes should be avoided due to their sour quality when there is an acidic condition in the digestive tract, in spite of the fact that the lycopene found in tomatoes has health benefits.

At the link above, you will find detailed suggestions for each:

* Diet To Reduce Wind (Vata) - Strengthens the Nervous System

* Diet To Reduce Heat (Pitta) - Helps Reduce General Inflammation

* Diet To Reduce Dampness and Mucus (Kapha) - Removes Fluids, Mucus and Sticky Accumulations

* Diet To Reduce Wind & Dampness - Strengthens Nervous System & Reduces Accumulations

* Diet To Reduce Wind & Heat - Strengthens the Nerves and Reduces Inflammation

* Diet To Reduce Heat & Dampness - Diet For Reducing Inflammation, Fluid and Mucus

- full article at link above.

(poster's note: In Asian medicine, generally "heat" is from infection, fever. For other terms such as wind, dampness, please consult the text.)

================================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/diseases/hidden-food-allergies.html

Hidden Food Allergies

A food allergy is an immediate or delayed adverse reaction to the ingestion of a specific food.

Common signs and symptoms of such allergies include dark circles and puffiness under the eyes, chronic diarrhea, various inflammations, headaches (including migraine), chronic runny nose, itchy eyes, asthma, hives, poor digestion, mental and physical fatigue, inflammatory diseases, and chronic infections.

** Food allergy sensitivity usually forms slowly as a result of repetitive consumption of a food. **

- Continued at link above.

==================================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/diseases/diabetes.html

Diabetes

excerpt:

Major symptoms of diabetes include excessive thirst, fatigue and frequent urination.

The long-term health problems that can result from diabetes are mostly vascular. Fluctuations in blood sugar shock the mural cells in tiny capillaries, gradually weakening and narrowing them.

Most diabetic problems result from this breakdown in the vascular system.

Excerpt:

Eat more beans. Your body metabolizes beans slowly, which slows down the absorption of sugars from the intestinal tract, aiding your body's regulation of sugar levels. A diet high in fiber is very helpful for diabetics due to this beneficial action.

* Eat lots of berries, especially blueberries. Blueberries (or bilberries) contain anthocyanins, plant chemicals that help repair tiny blood vessels especially in the eyes. Consume about one quart of fresh or one bag of frozen blueberries per week. Blueberries, blackberries and raspberries are also low in sugar.

* Take your vitamins. Diabetics can benefit greatly from vitamin supplements (Kahler et al., 1993
. . . see the recommendations at link.

* Many common vegetables are useful in the diabetic diet - garlic, onions, cinnamon and others.

---

[ 24. February 2008, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
BOOKS

These are just a few of the healing foods books that come to mind. Some are through www.amazon.com - it's great to support your locally-owned bookstore (if you still have one) but, if not, Amazon offers free shipping on some books.

To the left on this page (scroll up), if you link to Amazon, it helps LymeNet. You can also search out many of the books' contents at their site and see reveiws.

Your library would have many more selections, too.

After spending most of my life "dieting" and having terrible and stupid self-imposed caloric restrictions, I have finally come to to embrace food. Food is life.

The world of flavors and textures can do wonders for any body.

=================================

A Spoonful of Ginger

Offers healthful tips and recipes about cooking, using herbs and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. With information about author Nina Simonds.

www.spoonfulofginger.com

=================================

The Cure Is in the Kitchen

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN is the first book to ever spell out in detail what all those people ate day to day who cleared their incurable diseases, MS, ...

www.simply-natural.biz/Cure-Is-In-The-Kitchen.php

=======================================

This is just one site from a search for MACROBIOTIC. There may be better links or books, but here is just a place to begin:

Kushi Institute - where health comes naturally

Provides macrobiotic education including recovery programs and eating tips for health and healing. Information about the institute also provided.

www.kushiinstitute.org

========================

through www.amazon.com :

THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET by Marissa Cloutier, MS,RD and Eve Adamson

The Cox-2 Connection: Natural Breakthrough Treatments for Arthritis, Alzheimer's, and Cancer (Paperback)
by James B. LaValle

--------------------------

Turmeric and the Healing Curcuminoids (Paperback)
by Muhammed Majeed (Author), Vladimir Badmaev (Author), Frank Murray (Author)

-----------------------------

The Spice Lilies: Eastern Secrets to Healing with Ginger, Tumeric, Cardamom, and Galangal (Paperback)
by Susanne Poth (Author), Gina Sauer (Author)

-------------------------------

-

[ 24. February 2008, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

www.itmonline.org/arts/lox.htm

REDUCING INFLAMMATION WITH DIET AND SUPPLEMENTS:
The Story of Eicosanoid Inhibition

general review by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., Director, Institute for Traditional Medicine, Portland, Oregon - May 2003

Several important diseases are mediated by production of molecules known as eicosanoids, so named because they are derivatives of the 20-carbon arachidonic acid ("eicos" is from the Greek word eikosi, the number 20; see Figure 1).

These diseases include heart attack, asthma, arthritis, ulcerative colitis, asthma, dysmenorrhea, and recurrent headaches.

The story of eicosanoids and their involvement in inflammation and chronic diseases is complex and rapidly evolving.

Information here is necessarily simplified and is intended to help explain the basis for consuming certain foods, oil-based supplements, and herbs in an effort to prevent or help control certain diseases.

The eicosanoids of concern are divided into three groupings . . .

. . .

BLOCKING OF COX AND LOX ENZYMES BY NATURAL THERAPIES

Certain herbs (and individual active ingredients from herbs, see Appendix for the example of PCTs) inhibit the COX and/or LOX enzymes at dosages that can be appropriate for oral consumption.

These may serve as alternatives to drugs, especially for milder forms of the eicosanoid-dependent diseases.

Some of them are being used clinically, such as curcumin, boswellic acid, oleanolic acid, allicin, berberine, and the tea catechins.

As this research is intensively being pursued, any list of potential agents is incomplete. Examples of herb ingredients with eicosanoid inhibitor activities are provided in Tables 5 and 6, modified from lists developed by Dr. James Duke.

TABLE 5. Sample Plant Constituents with Cox-2 Inhibitor Activity.

- chart -

. . .

- full article, illustrations and charts at link.

-----------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

GLUTEN - 7363 abstracts

Gluten, depression - 52 abstracts

Gluten, inflammation - 158 abstracts

Gluten, pain - 125 abstracts

Gluten, neurological - 110 abstracts (some interesting stuff here)

================================

and a word about going ORGANIC - and NOT FASTING or skipping meals:

excess porphyrins can be a problem in chronic illness. Anyone with any kind of porphyria has trouble detoxing certain chemicals - and this includes common farm chemicals.

Even if porphryins (which everyone has) are not elevated, the liver has to work harder to get the farm chemicals out.

More detail about diet through the Porphyria foundations, etc. or go to PubMed and search: " porphyria, diet "

#26: Liver preneoplastic changes in mice treated with the herbicide fomesafen.
Hum Exp Toxicol. 1999 May;18(5):338-44.
PMID: 10372757

-

Fasting or skipping meals can also increase porphyrins to dangeous levels for those affected.

www.cpnhelp.org/secondaryporphyria offers some suggestion in diet. While that focuses on carbs, there are ways to do that as healthfully as possible.

Porphyria can be controlled by diet as well as careful attention to certain drugs.

=========================

http://www.cpf-inc.ca/

CANADIAN PORPHYRIA FOUNDATION

Call (in Canada) 204-476-2800 or toll-free at 1-866-476-2801

===================================

www.porphyriafoundation.com/ Another great site.

AMERICAN PORPHYRIA FOUNDATION

-

[ 24. February 2008, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long have you been on this diet?

Does you doctor think its healthy?

quote:
Originally posted by broguearcher:
Almost all of the difficult symptoms that I've been experiencing have gone away since I've gone to a tightly restricted diet. About all I eat is plain cooked meat such as Chicken thighs/legs, cooked veggies and probiotic yogurt.

My red, itchy, seeping eyes are better. My eyes don't hurt in bright light as they once did and my fatigue is certainly less than it was. This is a blessing and it's a major encouragement to stay the course and keep eating this way. It really has payed off!!

All LD/Yeast sufferers must seriously consider how their symptoms may be directly linked to their diets. [/qb]

[ 26. February 2008, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: lymeHerx001 ]

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
broguearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for broguearcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been off and on this diet for several years now. I'm back on board hardcore now though for almost two weeks. There just is NO doubt that it brings dramatic improvements in my overall wellbeing. Even though it's almost painfully difficult to give up on my favorite foods the benefits make it worth the sacrifice.

My doctor has actually recommended a strict anti-yeast diet a number of times.... he's a Gastroenterologist.... he told me that he has put many people on similar protocols. He didn't tell me I had to do this but I'm doing it because I just don't see much benefit from anything else.

Forgot to add in the original post.... I also eat a LOT of eggs.... and 100's of eggs later I somehow still love them! [spinning smile]

Posts: 183 | From Craley, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
broguearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5905

One more thing: It's tough to maintain your current weight on this diet. I do some heavy-duty weight training in the gym three times a week and I'm STILL losing weight.

If it weren't for the strength training I'd probably be even lower (I'm now at 155 from 163 when eating "regular"). It is kind of nice however to increase my lean muscle mass ratio and reduce overall body fat percentage via eating in this manner.

broguearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5905

Last tidbit. I also take enteric coated oregano oil caps three times a day (a total of 5 per day) and they seem to effective at working against the yeast. I'm about ready to add in eneteric coated garlic as well for additional yeast killing power.

My GI Doc actually recommended oregano oil over antifungal drugs (I've already used a lot of Diflucan and Nystatin in the past) because he would rather me avoid the potential liver damage and he believes in oregano oil.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Thats so weird, I also eat eggs every day! Someone once said that was bad but dont reptiles do this?

Anyway I agree %100 too.

Its a weird diet but it is necesarry if I want to feel semi normal.

quote:
I've been off and on this diet for several years now. I'm back on board hardcore now though for almost two weeks. There just is NO doubt that it brings dramatic improvements in my overall wellbeing. Even though it's almost painfully difficult to give up on my favorite foods the benefits make it worth the sacrifice.

My doctor has actually recommended a strict anti-yeast diet a number of times.... he's a Gastroenterologist.... he told me that he has put many people on similar protocols. He didn't tell me I had to do this but I'm doing it because I just don't see much benefit from anything else.

Forgot to add in the original post.... I also eat a LOT of eggs.... and 100's of eggs later I somehow still love them! [spinning smile] [/qb]

[ 26. February 2008, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: lymeHerx001 ]

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

By the way were youre eyes itchy from allergies? Mine get red all the time at random intervals.
broguearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5905

this was not related to allergies - I don't have those kind to my knowledge. I can "turn on or turn off" the itching and hurting simply by eating or not eating the right/wrong kind of foods.
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Thats interesting. This also happens to me when I eat sugar. Its not really an allergy per se but rather a sensitivity.

quote:
[QB] this was not related to allergies - I don't have those kind to my knowledge. I can "turn on or turn off" the itching and hurting simply by eating or not eating the right/wrong kind of foods. ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement