LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is she dancing to the right or to the left?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is she dancing to the right or to the left?
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking up some things about cognitive issues and saw this. Take a look and see what you think.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22492511-5005375,00.html?from=mostpop

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is interesting.

Most of us are left brain dominant for language.

It is the "holistic" side of the brain.

I am left brained. On this picture I am right brained. [bonk]

Music is right brained oriented.

I once had a patient with significant aphasia (word retrieval, word order, comprehension and such).

When I read the CAT scan I was momentarily stumped.

It was a right hemisphere CVA (cerebral vascular accident).

She had my only known case of cross aphasia..

Where language dominance was in the right hemisphere.

The right side of the brain basically controls the left side of the body

And vice-versa. So, when you see someone who is paralyzed on the Right side,

You know the damage is in the left lobe.

And vice-versa.

Our brains are so interesting.

Did you know that the brain is the only organ of the body that can't feel pain?

They have to numb your scalp, but no pain killers are needed

To perform surgery on/in the brain.

Ok.....I am rambling. [Big Grin]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok..not sure what this means, but she was dancing left, and then suddenly she was dancing right.

So I watched again for awhile, she was dancing left a long time, I glanced away this time for a moment and looked back she was dancing right.

Third try I stared and stared she was dancing left, then she appeared to stop and change direction and started going right!!!!!!

She is dancing both ways!

They give no explanation for what I am seeing, other than "try" to make her change direction, but I didn't try - she just does.

[confused]

Geneal - I find your "rambling" fascinating! I study the body constantly and I just learned something new! [Smile]

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was for fun.. not to rattle anyone!

[Big Grin]

And yes G.. you are right.

And here is something I know.

Your right ear is connected to your left brain. So it is with your left side and right brain... and your right eye to your left brain. BUT...

There is only once place on your body that left is left and right is right.

For $100.00... do you know what that is?

[Big Grin]

PS.. Do you take post-dated checks on foreign banks... in case you get the right answer I mean.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geneal,

Have you heard of the book 'the brain that changes itself'? It's a book about theories of neuroplasticity, the concept in neuropsychology that says that brains overcome or compensate for damage in some areas by developing other areas. Of course the attractive idea to all of us is the idea that you can somewhat control the process with certain exercises or rehabilitation techniques. Anyway, it's full of stories about people with various kinds of brain damage from strokes or birth defects who've managed to achieve unusual things by shifting brain functions to other parts of their brain instead.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 7 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet...I seem to be able to perceive it changing direction

at will. I assume this says something good about my CNS health.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She changes direction for me, too.

Does this mean that my brain is confused about which side to use?
Maybe that explains why I'm the way I am.

Wish I could have tried this BEFORE Lyme.
Wonder if results would be different.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only see her dancing clockwise. Even concentrating, cannot see her change direction.

...All my brain lesions & vestibular damage are on the right side, too... What does that mean?

Ok, TC, I'll play... the one place on our bodies where left is left and right is right... I have no idea. My wild guess - our nose?!

Yes, I have noses on the brain right now from reading "the Nose Book" to our toddler about 30 times tonight [Smile]

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup,

That is neat.

Ya, it changes. It's a surprise.

Geneal,

The brain can't feel pain.

Do you know why brain encephalopathy hurts? Well, due to inflammation. But that produces pain.

What's the explanation?

Thanks.

daise [Smile]

Tincup
Member # 5829

Cactus..

The Nose book did you right tonight!

See.. you learned something reading it 30 times! HA!

Yes.. your right nostril goes to the right half of the brain... and the left nostril to the left.

It is the only "part" of our body that does that.

BTW- about your winnings...

The post-dated check on the foreign bank... is "in the mail". Minus of course the $99.90 for shipping and handling!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:

There is only once place on your body that left is left and right is right.

For $100.00... do you know what that is?

[Big Grin]

PS.. Do you take post-dated checks on foreign banks... in case you get the right answer I mean.

[Big Grin] [/QB]

How about your brain????

I see the lady, mostly, dance clockwise but she reverses (I seem to have little control over that).

I can change her back to right brained easily. Putting both feet on the floor and grounding myself works almost every time. (I saw this somewhere else last week and someone mentioned that worked so I tried it.)

Ok, I just tried counting by threes and that makes her go counter-clockwise and when I stop she's back to clockwise.

I think if we were able to keep both hemispheres balanced she would stand still. I haven't got there. At one point the other day I had her going back and forth for a bit (doing half turns).

oooo... this is fun, let's play more brain games. [Big Grin]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
too late, you already have a winner, drat, I thought that made sense too. *pouts*

I coulda used that dollar towards a new puter.

so, the nose knows? cool

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

counter-clockwise for me.. [Wink]
kbholley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbholley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same thing happened to me that happened to lymebytes

--------------------
OK...I'll play your silly games.

Finding my happy place.

Brenda-Lee

Posts: 126 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymebyes, The same thing happened to me.

That was bizarre. At first it was going counter-clockwise.

Looked to read what the page said and then it was going clockwise.

Couldn't make myself see it going the first way either. Is this a trick?

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is what I get for going to bed....I miss being able to post

A correct answer for the prize. [Big Grin]

Swelling of the brain puts pressure on the inside of the skull.

The skull has feeling. The brain doesn't.

That is how during brain surgery the neurosurgeons keep you awake,

To determine if they are affecting core areas with surgery.....like speech, motor, etc.

I am a Speech Pathologist with many years of neuro rehab.

I had to take years of neuro physiology classes.

I don't by any means know it all....but it is nice to have

The ability to recall some of this stuff...finally. [Smile]

I did see the lady change directions too.

Once or twice.

We are all one hemisphere dominant. However, that doesn't mean

That we can't or don't use both sides of our brain to process info.

Visual cortex is actually located in the back of the skull. The occipital area.

Strange to think that the interpretation of what we "see" is completed there.

Kind of cool to be contralaterally inervated.

Although some nerves do run true...right to right and left to left.

Just not many of them.

A lot of people think that a Speech Therapist (me) teaches people to talk again

Following a closed head injury or stroke.

Not true.

We provide stimulation so that another part of the brain can either take over the

Function or create new synapses too "control" areas.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I need help here. It looks to me that we are seeing her back and she is looking toward the right and the motion of her body seems to be going towards the right. Again we are seeing the back of her body.

So when we ask is she going to the right or left does, that mean my right or her right? If she is facing forward, then my right is her left ......... I am utterly confused.

Also, I can see this many different ways. So, if I knew if they were asking her right or left vs my right or left, that would be a start in figuring this out. Ok I am tired now.

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

thats me

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BZ
Member # 8801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey..she goes left to right,right to left and never turns completly around!!!

Does that mean I dont use EITHER side of my brain!! [dizzy] BZ

Posts: 36 | From Pittsville Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Thank you, Geneal.

daise [Smile]

hanginginthere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanginginthere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case you're taking a poll~same thing happens to me as lymebytes as well!

p.s. can I trade for her figure? [Big Grin]

Posts: 136 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i always knew i was right-brained, and this test confirms it. [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting post...

after i figured out which way was clockwise and which way was counter clockwise that is [bonk] [Big Grin]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement