LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Problems with Lyme in high altitlude

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problems with Lyme in high altitlude
kim6869
Member # 14484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kim6869     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an 8 year old daughter with Lyme that has been on medication since December. My husband and I want to move our family to Colorado.

I heard from a friend that when they moved to a high altitude like Colorado it made Lyme worse. They actually had to move back to MD to get well.

Has anyone else had this type of experience. We would love to move but obviously will not if we think it will make our daughter worse.

One of our reasons for moving there is that there are no ticks there so our other children won't end up with Lyme. It is very hard to watch my daughter be so sick from a bite she got while outside riding her bike. I don't want to have to go through it with any of the other children.

--------------------
Thanks,

KIM

Posts: 13 | From MD | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IMHisda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IMHisda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim:

I think Barometric pressure affects this disease- would that have anything to do with altitude?

--------------------
RV

Posts: 249 | From Healing in USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I don't know about lyme and high altitude, per se.

However, lyme often affects the inner ear, so that might be one consideration.

With various vestibular (inner, middle ear) conditions, I was advised not to live above 500 ft. and to try to avoid a place that is often very windy.

That was ten years ago. I assume the pressure would still affect the inner ear, though there may be new ways to may it work. And, if treatment is working, it may be fine.

The Vestibular Disorders Association

www.vestibular.org

-

I'm sure you are looking at someplace where you could at least get to a LLMD if you need one. I hope your plans work out well.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I have never come across that. I live at 4200 feet.

Anyone have information on this?

daise [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard about a Lyme/ high altitude problem before either....

I live at about 6,300 ft. altitude.

quote:
One of our reasons for moving there is that there are no ticks there so our other children won't end up with Lyme.

Kim, I don't know where you got this information but it is just plain WRONG.

There are a number of us here on the board from Colorado. When I talked to my veterinarian about Lyme 2 years ago, he confessed that he has tested dogs that come up positive for Lyme and those animals have never been out of our area.

Please don't be misled into thinking that there are any 'safe havens' that are free of ticks or Lyme. No matter where you choose to live, there is going to be some risk. [Frown]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan's Mom
Member # 11347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan's Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last September, my son's symptoms seemed fairly stable and after checking with LLMD we took a family trip to Montana to visit my sister.

Dan's two major symptoms, seizures an psychosis, came roaring back.

Once we got back home, the symptoms resolved back to the level they were at before the trip.

I later read somewhere that higher elevations can make Lyme sypmtoms worse. I wish I could remember where I read it.

Maybe if you live in the higher elevations to begin with, it doesn't apply.

We went from sea level (Long Island) to about 5,000 feet (my sister's house - seizure), then when we went to Glacier Nat'l Park, which is about 7,000 feet the psychosis came on.

When I asked the PA at the LLMD's office about it she hadn't heard of it, but said that she thought it could have an effect.

Take Care,
Karen

Posts: 89 | From Long Island, New York | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In mold warriors by Ritchie shoemaker he says that high altitude will help 75% of people with biotoxin problems which he claims are involved usaully with chronic lyme. www.chronicneurotoxins.com

Wallace

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DakotasMom01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotasMom01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has to do with the with the oxygen levels being lower in higher altitudes.

That affects all the lyme & co infection symptoms.As well as the cooler temps/moisture, depending where you are.

Here are some old posts on this subject.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=044655 Altitude sickness LYME colorado

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=031859 High Altitude & Lyme symptoms

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=033427 living at altitude....need advice

As some one else said, lyme is everywhere!!

[ 27. February 2008, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: DakotasMom01 ]

--------------------
Take Care,
DakotasMom01

Posts: 371 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Wait a minute. Are some here referring to altitude sickness or altitude adjustment?

When you travel to a high altitude from a low one, it takes time to adjust. Mostly, you feel very tired and may get a headache, at first.

Years ago I moved from Omaha, NE to Colorado Springs, CO.(From about 2,000 feet to about 7,000 feet.) I was told in Colorado Springs by a number of people that it would take 2 months for my body to adjust. That was way before Lyme disease.

Yes, I was tired. Pokey. I was told to drink a lot of water. OK. Indeed, it took a couple of months to adjust.

If I'd made that move while battling chronic Lyme or a lot of other illnesses, it would have affected my illness, I can imagine. I would have felt my signs and symptoms more.

Maybe that's why Colorado has so many ski chalet buildings: people fly in from lower altitudes--and then spend a lot of time in the chalets because they are very tired. Altitude sickness / altitude adjustment!

Altitude sickness and altitude adjustment are real.

daise [Smile]

snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Colorado and have for many years. When I travel my lyme is about the same..not much difference. I think everyone is a little different and it all depends on the person.

My 11 year old daughter and I both have lyme. She's experienced a lot of reoccurence of symptoms recently I think due to the fact co infections/Flagyl never given.

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi Snowboarder,

Does she have a good LLMD who is also an ILADS physician?

daise [Smile]

tailz
Unregistered

I'd be more worried about cell phone towers. I'd take lower oxygen levels over a cell phone tower any day.
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was raised in Colorado. I pulled a tick out of my sister's head back in the 60's. Another sister got RMSF sometime in the 80's, while living there. Yes, there's ticks in Colorado.

However, I do feel much better when I go anywhere higher and dryer than where I live now (near sea level and somewhat humid). I always have more energy when I go to Colorado. This is one reason my doctor wants me to take csm--he thinks I may have trouble with mold removal.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement