LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Thinking about getting tested for Lyme...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thinking about getting tested for Lyme...
smadavid
Member # 14830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smadavid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm new here and appreciate everyone taking the time to share their experiences and help each other out! I'm thinking that I should probably get tested for Lyme Disease. For the past few years I've had symptoms (progressively getting worse) that I attributed to mild depression, or perhaps Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

- Fatigue
- Brain Fog
- Headaches
- Muscle Aches
- Poor Balance (feels similar to mild intoxication)
- Shakiness / Tremors / Twitches
- Poor Circulation, Chills, Limbs falling asleep
- Alternatively either insomia or getting plenty of sleep but still not feeling rested after waking.

I hadn't connected these symptoms with Lyme disease until just now while doing some reasearch on CFS. About 4 years ago I was bitten by a tick while camping. The critter was on me for at least a day (I didn't notice until showering when I got home.) I removed it, and about a week later noticed a red ring (bulls eye) around the spot. My doctor perscribed antibiotics; The ring went away, and haven't thought anything about it since.

I've never been a high energy person and have had problems with Fatigue for as long as I can remember. But aside from that, all the other symptoms above have gradually developed within the last 2 - 3 years.

If anyone has any insights, or similar experiences, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 12 | From East Windsor, CT | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyPW8
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyPW8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Your symptoms sound just like the ones I had initially. I didn't connect it to a disease, just stress. There are docs who think CFS is undiagnosed Lyme. Do find a LLMD and get tested. You want the test results to be interpreted by someone who knows how to do it right and Connecticutt has some good ones. You can go into the forum here on finding a Lyme Doc.

This is a great place for information and support. If you have any problems look for the ones who have been here a long time, like BettyG, she can offer tons of info. Good Luck.

Amy [Smile]

--------------------
Amy

Diagnosed April 29, 2007.

Posts: 136 | From Joplin, MO | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well......a bulls-eye rash is Lyme disease.

I am not sure how long you were on antibiotics or the dosage,

But probably not enough long enough.

I would recommend Igenex in Ca. for Lyme testing.

You need a physicians order for it.

You pay for the test up front, but your insurance may reimburse you.

You want tests 188 and 189. Western Blot IgM and IgG.

Igenex only tests tick-borne diseases.

I would also recommend you post in Seeking Doctor so that

You can find a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor (LLMD).

There are co-infections and such that most regular docs know nothing about.

Your symptoms do sound like Lyme to me....with possibly a co-infection in there too.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smadavid
Member # 14830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smadavid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Amy and Geneal... appreciate it! I've make a post in Seeking Doctors with my symptoms, so we'll see where that leads me.

When I went to the doctor for this, he didn't seem terribly worried about it, and gave me the antibiotics as "a precaution." Pretty sure it was a 10-day supply. But I definitely had a bulls eye, I want to say 1.5 inches in diameter (if my memory serves me).

Thanks again ... its good to hear that others have had similar symptoms, and that maybe there's actually somthing to this and its not all in my head [Smile]

Posts: 12 | From East Windsor, CT | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The old "it's in your head" diagnosis. [shake]

I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

If it were me and I saw a tick....even without a bulls-eye rash,

I would insist on at least 300mg of doxy a day for at least 3 months.

I may be over aggressive, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I have had Lyme disease, babesia, and bartonella for at least 5+ years.

I am going into my 18th month of treatment....with more to go.

Hang in there.

I forgot earlier. Welcome to the board! [Smile]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have Lyme, and need to get to a doctor who's a

member of the International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society.

The vast majority of Lme patient's will receive negative tests,

and the average doc will almost

certainly tell you that it's all in your head.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome to the board! i'm sending you a private message with my lengthy newbie package of info galore.

do a search in there using, EDIT, FIND, and type in IGENEX until you come to very detailed info about the western blot igm and igg blood test and about co-infections ok!!!

pms can be found on left side under HELLO by flashing light and in my profile!

thanks for the nice DETAILED info about yourself; it helps us help you better!! [group hug] [kiss]

smadavid
Member # 14830

Hi everyone,

I just got my IGeneX results back today. I'm not seeing an LLMD yet since I was able to have my boss (a chiropracter) order the tests for me and save some money. But it looks like I'll have to start seeing one soon. Here are the results...

IgM (positive IGeneX, negative CDC):

31 IND
34 +
39 IND
41 +
58 +

IgG: (negative)

34 IND
39 IND
41 ++

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. In the meantime I'm off to do some research on those bands.

jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, you sure are infected! I like to get live blood microscopy too just for confirm and monitor progress in treatment.
Geneal
Member # 10375

Look at the top in Medical. There is a link to Dr. C's Western Blot interpretations.

That is a good place to start.

If need be, please post in Seeking Doctors section to find a LLMD asap.

I'm really sorry that your initial treatment was so short and probably

Not a high enough dose of antibiotics.

Hugs,

Geneal

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement