LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IM Claforan or IM Bicillin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IM Claforan or IM Bicillin
bandit100
Member # 11941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandit100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some questions for those that have tried either IM Claforan or IM Bicillin.

How often do you take the shots, daily every other day, etc.?

What symptoms did it relieve for you?

My top 5 symptoms are Tinnitus, Muscle Twitching, Muscle Jerking, Fatigue and Popping Sounds In My Head and Neck.

Has there been any information or studies regarding the affectiveness of IM versus IV ABX?

Thanks.
Roger

Posts: 25 | From Missouri | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can do them both. I did Rocephin shots and Bicillin shots. Bicillin starts out once per week, then gradually works up to 1.2 MU 3-4x per week, or 2.4 MU every week. Rocephin shot protocols vary, I did mine Sat & Sundays only. Make sure your Rocephin or Claforan shots are on consecutive days, not spaced out like Bicillin. Make sure you know how to do the shots correctly.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Do you have an LLMD?

I got three LA Bicillin shots in the butt 3 times per week for ten months, at 1.2 mil, for each shot.

The fluid is very thick. It must be kept refrigerated. It is shipped with an ice pack next to it.

But the prescribed amount depends on what your LLMD thinks is best for you, along with whatever other antibiotics you need.

Bicillin is powerful and has been described as being almost as good as Rocephen because it crosses the blood / brain barrier well.

LA Bicillin is a natural antibiotic and once in the muscle, it disperses slowly to the rest of the body.

It's not processesed in the GI tract, like orals are, so it's easy on the 'ol gut.

Antibiotics work differently in different people, depending also on what co-infections you may have.

But again, it's one of the best for a brain infection, especially.

daise [Smile]

[ 04. March 2008, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: daise ]

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been quite a few people who have reacted badly to claforan. Maybe you won't be one of those people, but if you are not allergic to penicillins, bicillin does not seem to be as problematic. But maybe you won't have any trouble with claforan. FYI
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit100
Member # 11941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandit100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do have a LLMD. I see Dr. C in MO. My next appointment is in a couple of weeks.

We are coming closer to the end of the oral ABX rope perhaps, so that is the reason for the questions.

I was just trying to figure out how I would continue working the job I currently have, which requires me to travel approximately 12 days a month, and handle the IM ABX.

Posts: 25 | From Missouri | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IMHisda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IMHisda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IV Claforin was my wonder drug. I felt substnatially better shortly after taking my IV. Bicillin didn't work that well for me.

--------------------
RV

Posts: 249 | From Healing in USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi Bandit,

About travel. The shots must be kept refrigerated.

Maybe you could take the shots when it's practical.

daise [Smile]

swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Is IM Bicillin good for brain infection? Where have you found that info? Thought it only went to the muscles?

But I think it can be helpful for muscle twitches, as I get crazy twitching some days after each injection.

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi swedish lyme sufferer,

Yes, LA Bicillin is almost as good as IV (intravenous) Rocephen, for crossing the blood/brain barrier, according to Dr. Burrascano's experience and that of other LLMD's who are ILADS physicians.

I had both (not at the same time!) and I am grateful for that.

See www.ilads.org, on the left menu click "Treatment Guidelines." That will take you to Dr. Burrascano's 33 pages of tips for 2005 for a discussion of Lyme antibiotics. (But there have since been warnings with Ketek.)

LA Bicillin can produce intense herxes that can last for 6 or 7 weeks and the herx can overlap with the next herx.

How are your herxes?

dasie [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement