LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme & Caloric Restriction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme & Caloric Restriction
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read in several places that Rheumatoid Arthritis patients become pain-free and symptom-free when fasting. It even says that on the Johns Hopkins website!

It is now known that conditions such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Lupus, and other so-called "autoimmune" conditions are actually caused by microbes and bacterial infections.

I wonder if fasting or caloric restriction can put Lyme into remission. Hard one to test - any volunteers? [Smile]

quote:

Fasting followed by vegetarian diet in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review.
Scand J Rheumatol 2001;30(1):1-10.
Muller H, de Toledo FW, Resch KL.
Balneology and Rehabilitation Sciences Research Institute (FBK), Bad Elster, Germany.

Clinical experience suggests that fasting followed by vegetarian diet may help patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). We reviewed the available scientific evidence, because patients frequently ask for dietary advice, and exclusive pharmacological treatment of RA is often not satisfying. Fasting studies in RA were searched in MEDLINE and by checking references in relevant reports. The results of the controlled studies which reported follow-up data for at least three months after fasting were quantitatively pooled. Thirty-one reports of fasting studies in patients with RA were found. Only four controlled studies investigated the effects of fasting and subsequent diets for at least three months. The pooling of these studies showed a statistically and clinically significant beneficial long-term effect. Thus, available evidence suggests that fasting followed by vegetarian diets might be useful in the treatment of RA. More randomised long-term studies are needed to confirm this view by methodologically convincing data.

Effects of a low calorie vegan diet on disease activity and general conditions in patients with rheumatoid arthritis [Article in Japanese].
Rinsho Byori 1999 Jun;47(6):554-60.
Fujita A, Hashimoto Y, Nakahara K, Tanaka T, Okuda T, Koda M.
Clinical Research Laboratory, Sunstar Co. Ltd., Takatsuki.

There is little objective information about diet therapy for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in Japan. We studied 14 patients with RA who stayed in the Koda hospital for 55 days. They basically took a 1200 kcal vegan diet consisting of unpolished rice gruel, juice of raw vegetables, soya bean curd and sesame seeds, and undertook a 3-5-day fast three times. During the 55-day stay, average body weight decreased by 5.1kg. Lansbury index and ESR decreased whereas CRP did not change. WBC decreased and the differential cell counts showed a decrease of neutrophils, eosinophils and monocytes without a change in lymphocytes or basophils. RBC, hemoglobin and MCV increased. LDL-C decreased, while HDL-C increased. There was no change in total protein or albumin. These data suggest that this combination of a low calorie vegan diet and fasting may contribute to improve RA with little undesirable effects on the patient's general conditions.

Changes in glycosylation of IgG during fasting in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Br J Rheumatol 1996 Feb;35(2):117-9.
Kjeldsen-Kragh J, Sumar N, Bodman-Smith K, Brostoff J.
Institute of Immunology and Rheumatology, The National Hospital, Olso, Norway.

Patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) have a higher proportion of agalactosyl IgG than healthy individuals. Glycosylation status was examined in 26 RA patients who fasted for 7-10 days and afterwards followed a vegetarian diet for 3.5 months. The decrease in the proportion of agalactosyl IgG correlated significantly with the clinical improvement after the fasting period, but not after the vegetarian diet period. Although the glycosylation status of IgG may have played a role in the improvement of disease during the fasting period, it did not seem to be associated with, and therefore responsible for, the clinical improvement observed after the vegetarian diet.

Changes in laboratory variables in rheumatoid arthritis patients during a trial of fasting and one-year vegetarian diet.
Scand J Rheumatol. 1995;24(2):85-93.
Kjeldsen-Kragh J, Mellbye OJ, Haugen M, Mollnes TE, Hammer HB, Sioud M, Forre O.
Institute of Immunology and Rheumatology, National Hospital, Oslo, Norway.

We have previously reported that significant improvement may be obtained in rheumatoid arthritis patients by fasting followed by a vegetarian diet for one year. The present study was carried out to examine to what extent biochemical and immunological variables changed during the clinical trial of fasting and vegetarian diet. For the patients who were randomised to the vegetarian diet there was a significant decrease in platelet count, leukocyte count, calprotectin, total IgG, IgM rheumatoid factor (RF), C3-activation products, and the complement components C3 and C4 after one month of treatment. None of the measured parameters changed significantly during this period in the group of omnivores. The course of 14 of 15 measured variables favored the vegetarians compared with the omnivores, but the difference was only significant for leukocyte count, IgM RF, and the complement components C3 and C4. Most of the laboratory variables declined considerably in the vegetarians who improved according to clinical variables, indicating a substantial reduction in inflammatory activity. The leukocyte count, however, decreased in the vegetarians irrespective of the clinical results. Thus, the decline in leukocyte count may be attributed to vegetarian diet per se and not to the reduction in disease activity. The results of the present study are in accordance with the findings from the clinical trial, namely that dietary treatment can reduce the disease activity in some patients with rheumatoid arthritis.

Controlled trial of fasting and one-year vegetarian diet in rheumatoid arthritis.
Lancet. 1991 Oct 12;338(8772):899-902.
Kjeldsen-Kragh J, Haugen M, Borchgrevink CF, Laerum E, Eek M, Mowinkel P, Hovi K, Forre O.
Department of General Practice, University of Oslo, Norway.

Fasting is an effective treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, but most patients relapse on reintroduction of food. The effect of fasting followed by one year of a vegetarian diet was assessed in a randomised, single-blind controlled trial. 27 patients were allocated to a four-week stay at a health farm. After an initial 7-10 day subtotal fast, they were put on an individually adjusted gluten-free vegan diet for 3.5 months. The food was then gradually changed to a lactovegetarian diet for the remainder of the study. A control group of 26 patients stayed for four weeks at a convalescent home, but ate an ordinary diet throughout the whole study period. After four weeks at the health farm the diet group showed a significant improvement in number of tender joints, Ritchie's articular index, number of swollen joints, pain score, duration of morning stiffness, grip strength, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, C-reactive protein, white blood cell count, and a health assessment questionnaire score. In the control group, only pain score improved score. In the control group, only pain score improved significantly. The benefits in the diet group were still present after one year, and evaluation of the whole course showed significant advantages for the diet group in all measured indices. This dietary regimen seems to be a useful supplement to conventional medical treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im going to see my doctor tomarrow for blood work.

Im gonna attemt a near fast and I want him to monitor me.

I wanna be able to start taking the abx and the anti yeast stuff and be able to handle it.

If my body is working to digest food, then It can work to digest the candida and lyme...!OLOL

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen Buhner, the author of Healing Lyme, has some good things to say, i think, about fasting and lyme; i think i saw a whole book of his on fasting.
Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welcome
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for welcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one disease for which fasting is NOT recommended is ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease.....which is OFTEN confused with LD.....some say they are one and the same. Food for thought.

"Abstract:

Roy Walford, a physician and scientist who pioneered research on the anti-aging effects of caloric restriction and subjected himself to a low-energy diet, recently died from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Information from his case, epidemiological findings, and recent controlled studies in mouse models of ALS suggest that low-energy diets might render motor neurons vulnerable to degeneration, whereas high-energy diets are ameliorative. This contrasts with the effects of low-energy diets on various neuronal populations in the brain that respond adaptively, activating pathways that promote plasticity and resistance to disease. One reason that motor neurons might be selectively vulnerable to low-energy diets is that they are unable to engage neuroprotective responses to energetic stress response involving the protein chaperones, such as, heat-shock protein-70."

web page

Posts: 294 | From nevada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Also, if there is any buildup of porphryins, fasting can be dangerous and cause neurological and G.I. distress.

Some researchers think that some with CFS and lyme/TBI may have a resultant condition called secondary porphyria. When the infection is treated it may subside although, there may be some who have this as an underlying condition but undiagnosed.

So whether genetic, acquired by chemical exposure of infection, if a person's liver can not make the necessary enzymes for the detox pathway Cytochrome P-450 to function, excess porphyrins can surround cells and destroy them.

Fasting can speed this process and not only be dangerous but, in combination with pharmaceuticals that require the C P-450 pathway, has been fatal for some patients with porphyria.

The required enzymes are not commercially available as are some pancreatic enzymes.

=====================================

http://tinyurl.com/yozppd - From www.ImmuneSupport.com

Chlamydia Pneumoniae in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia -

Secondary porphyria in relation to Cpn. This article seems to mirror lyme tx - and reactions - in many ways.

by the same author:

www.cpnhelp.org/secondaryporphyria

Secondary Porphyria: what you should know before starting a CAP

excerpt:

Symptoms of Porphyria-
Porphyria may affect the nervous system or the skin.

When porphyria affects the nervous system, it can cause:

chest pain
shortness of breath
abdominal pain

nausea
muscle cramps
weakness

hallucinations
depression
anxiety

paranoia
seizures

======================================

www.porphyriafoundation.com

AMERICAN PORPHYRIA FOUNDATION

They have a list of foods and drugs that can trigger porphryia in those affected. Other self-care information there, too.

===================================

http://www.cpf-inc.ca/e-guide.pdf

Patient's and Doctor's guide to medication in acute porphyria.

A 74-page pdf in English - (French edition is available through their home page)

DRUGS IN ACUTE PORPHYRIAS
http://www.cpf-inc.ca/e-guide.pdf 2007 Edition Swedish Pharnacopeia.

=============

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like Im under the delusion that fasting will give me a chance to kill of candida, and perhaps kick my macrophages into gear to clean up some of the junk in my blood.

Im not talking a total fast here, but a very restricted diet........

When you say fast, what do you mean, total food deprivation?

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Out bodies need nutrients every few hours. At a time when bodies are stressed to function, nutrition is ever so much more important.

By trying to starve candida, or bacteria, we can deprive our brain of needed sugars (though not from the sugar bowl, of course). Without carbohydrates - food sugars - our brains and hearts could not function. Same with fat and protein. However, we have choices around that.

(I have found that having olive leaf extract - or allicin - in my diet is one way to have reasonable amounts of non-gluten complex carbs and not have them feed candida.)

The avoidance of certain foods during a fast may be, in part, the reason why some may see some benefit. Meat is noted above. But I wondered if they thought that avoided bread would bring good results. The last study listed above did seem to have gluten in mind.

Gluten is the number one ingredient that, IMO, the world would do better without. The research on gluten is startling and I know, for myself, it is the most important food to avoid. It makes a world of difference. Corn, dairy, processed foods, too.

Just for fun, one can search gluten on PubMed.

Meat, for some, can be very good - if in proper quantities and of the best quality. Others do better with fish. I was vegetarian for 18 years and, in retrospect, I should have listened to my body's need for animal protein. I feel much better eating fish, a little meat, with lots of vegetables.

Some vegetarians do very well, however, being sure to get enough protein and amino acids is vital. This requires study. I did it wrong.

I also avoided ALL fruit for ten years. Mistake. I missed out on alot of natural anti-oxidants. As long as I take olive leaf extract (OLE), I have no problems with dark berries or tart apples, usually after a meal. Even when on doxycycline, the OLE kept candida away.

And, without the bulk of lots of vegetables and dark, low sugar fruits, we would simply not be able to move toxins through our bodies. Our bowels rely on roughage.

Also - if we eat the same thing everyday we can become allergic.
So, taking a break from all-too-familiar foods could give the body a break. Still, food/nutrition in some manner is essential.

Fasting can be very stressful on a body, especially an ill body. It's not just not eating. It can be very involved to do it correctly and safely.

Partial day or short term juicing, however, can have some great benefits, but there would need to be a way not to have spike in blood glucose and then, of course, the drops. Adding protein powders - and the roughage from the juicer bin - can help that.

And, again, olive leaf extract or other anti-candida measures can help the carbs go to our bodies and not to candida.

But juiciing is not really fasting in the true definition. There really are several definitions.

Giving our body a wide variety of consistent nutrients (and, thereby, energy) is a good thing. Figuring out how best to do that takes some work.

It is good to have discussions about it as it always gets me thinking about what I might just shift here and there.

-

[ 04. March 2008, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

I tend to think it may more more about WHAT we eat. The typical American menu does not seem very alive to me. I have enjoyed learning about cooking with herbs and spices. Some books that may be enjoyable:

A Spoonful of Ginger : Irresistible Health-Giving Recipes from Asian Kitchens (Hardcover) by Nina Simonds

Offers healthful tips and recipes about cooking, using herbs and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. With information about author Nina Simonds.

spoonfulofginger.com

& the book: Spices of Life by Nina Simonds

----------------------------

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN is the first book to ever spell out in detail what all those people ate day to day who cleared their incurable diseases, MS, ...

www.simply-natural.biz/Cure-Is-In-The-Kitchen.php

--------------------------------------

Kushi Institute - where health comes naturally

Provides macrobiotic education including recovery programs and eating tips for health and healing. Information about the institute also provided.

www.kushiinstitute.org

---------------------------------------

The Mediterranean Diet (Cloutier & Adamson)

--------------------------------

Turmeric and the Healing Curcuminoids (Paperback)
by Muhammed Majeed (Author), Vladimir Badmaev (Author), Frank Murray (Author)

--------------------------------------

The Spice Lilies: Eastern Secrets to Healing with Ginger, Tumeric, Cardamom, and Galangal (Paperback)
by Susanne Poth (Author), Gina Sauer (Author)

most can be seen at www.amazon.com

-

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Keebler I appreciate your thorough and honest response.

Thats interesting about olive extract.

The thing is even when I put OLIVE OIL on my salad I herx from it. I herx very hard with burning in my feet and very bad tiredness.

Im hoping that a reduced calorie diet will detox me enough so I can handle killing off the yeast.

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do feel better when I don't eat, but I also feel better when I'm light headed. So is it that the low blood sugar just reduces my feeling of pain?

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Just as high blood glucose has many detrimental effects, so does hypoglycemia. Our body goes through all sorts of emergency measures that we may not be aware of, but it really can take a toll.

When it's hard to eat or nausea takes over, some herx reactions can be complicated by low blood sugar.

-

glucose (sugar) is the brain's primary fuel:

www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/hypoglycemia-000090.htm

From the University of Maryland Medical Center

HYPOGLYCEMIA
Also listed as: Blood sugar - low; Low blood sugar

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is a condition in which there is an abnormally low level of glucose (sugar) in your blood.

Normally your body keeps blood sugar levels within a narrow range through the coordinated work of several organs and glands and their hormones, primarily insulin and glucagon.

But factors such as disease or a poor diet can disrupt the mechanisms that regulate your sugar levels. Too much glucose results in hyperglycemia, one of the major symptoms of diabetes.

However, hypoglycemia is most common among people with diabetes, as too much insulin can cause blood sugar levels to fall (an insulin reaction).

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS

Because glucose (sugar) is the brain's primary fuel, your brain feels the effects of hypoglycemia. The effects include the following:

* Headache
* Excessive sweating
* Blurred vision, dizziness

* Trembling, lack of coordination
* Depression, anxiety
* Mental confusion, irritability

* Heart palpitations
* Slurred speech
* Seizures

* Fatigue
* Irritability
* Coma

TREATMENT OPTIONS

It is important to treat low blood sugar immediately to avoid long-term serious effects. . . .

Small frequent meals that are high in fiber and complex carbohydrates are best, preferably five or six a day.

Cut down on simple carbohydrates, including sugar, refined foods, juices, and fruit. Foods high in fiber include whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and nuts. Eliminate all caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco.

Some doctors may suggest a high-protein diet, although evidence is mixed on the benefits. A "Zone" style diet, based on the work of Dr. Barry Sears, combines proteins, fats, and carbohydrates in a 30/30/40 ratio and can be very helpful in maintaining stable blood sugar throughout the day.

. . .

Vitamins and minerals [listed here]

Herbs are generally a safe way to strengthen and tone the body's systems [some are listed here. Note: some herbs LOWER blood sugar] . . .

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS

Do not ignore the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia. Untreated, it can cause irreversible brain damage, coma, or even death. . . .

- full article at link above.

-

[ 07. March 2008, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement