LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ativan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ativan
scottie
Member # 9956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scottie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to some cns damage done to me by taking Levaquin I've had to use ativan in order to relax my system enough to get to sleep. I'm nervous that I will get addicted so I try to take it only a few times a week but then the days I don't take it my sleep is pretty crappy. Should I just suck it up and take the ativan every night for a while so I can sleep? Thought?
Posts: 90 | From massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a long stretch of time when I couldn't sleep. Ativan was the only thing that helped me. I took it for several months. I hated that I had to take it but you NEED to sleep to get better. I weaned myself off of it after awhile and so far I've been able to continue sleeping.

Your body needs sleep in order to heal itself and if Ativan is the only way you can sleep I say TAKE IT!
Sweet dreams! [Big Grin] ....and good luck!

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice is to take the Ativan - you need your sleep. Early on in my Lyme Treatment I was on a super high dose of three different Benzos and was worried about addiction.

I weaned down very quickly when i did't need them anymore.

I still take an Ativan to sleep at night and haven't had to increase the dose and it's been a couple of years now.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take this too.

How many mg do you guys take??

I can take up to 1.5mg

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scottie,

I have the same struggle, both with sleep and worry about taking benzos to help w/ sleep.

I finally decided that I am more peaceful and feel better after a good nights sleep. So I told myself that if I need my klono everyday, so be it.

Accepting that, and worrying less, has actually allowed me to sleep better! If I need klonopin, or in your case ativan, I say take it and deal with weaning issues on down the road.

Peace,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breezywings
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9222

Icon 11 posted      Profile for breezywings   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi~ I haven't posted in awhile as I was in remission and thinking stupidly I wasn't going to get sick again. DRATS! I have had it for 30 years, think I would get it by now that it really doesn't go away?

Anyway, I have been taking 2mg 4x/day for about 10 years. Pretty sure I am addicted. LOL

I started it when I first got really, really sick. Thyroid kicked out, nervous system was giving me panic and anxiety so bad on top of the thyroid doing the same. I was also suffering seizures that I could not take anything for that didn't bother my heart.

So voila, the drug works for it all including my muscle pain which is really bad at times. I don't know what I would do without for those purposes.

If your body is chemically addicted and physologically addicted, then you will be okay when you need to be weaned.

Hope that helps abit.

Kelly

--------------------
...~*Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming*~...

Posts: 120 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 1 mg. at night to sleep with a timed released melatonin (3 mg). Usually this gets me through the night but I have Xanax as a back up - when I'm excited or nervous I take a Xanax if I wake up and can't get back to sleep.
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am using valium to taper off Restoril. This is my second week of the taper.
Posts: 255 | From where we don't have Lyme disease | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tif
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By all means take it; you have to rest to get better, and if you have to take something for it then do so.

I have been on anti-anxiety meds for 10 plus years off and on, and I can function on them or suffer if I don't take them; I finally decided when the TBI's really kicked in that ANYTHING that gave me relief was pretty well worth taking whether there was an addiction possibility or not.

If you need it, you need it; in my opinion it is no different than me needing to take my heart medication...... [Smile]

--------------------
TL

Posts: 365 | From OK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take it! Dont worry about getting addicted; sleeping and not having anxiety is definetely more important. I, myself take xanax and it helps tremendously.
Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used ativan for about 6 months. It was the only thing that gave me sleep. I didn't have any problems stopping use, and I was afraid I might. As much as I hated doing it, I don't think I could have accomplished any recovery without the sleep. It's a case of first things first.

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also want to mention that after starting ativan and finally sleeping that A LOT of my symptoms decreased even though I hadn't been diagnosed yet and hadn't started treatment.
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD is of the attitude that I need the sleep to heal, when I get better and am sleeping again, then we will worry about how to get me off the Ambien (different med, same idea).

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement