LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HOSPITAL NEEDED NOW

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HOSPITAL NEEDED NOW
waterfam2
Member # 14956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterfam2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a childrens hospital right now, !4 year diagnosed w Lymes in October.... treated fw days on amox.

Next treated w doxy less than 10 days.

Betty G this is for you!

BNext treated w Ceftrioxone, 2 weeks, then dermoid cyst shows up.

Brain surgery jan 28th

In and out of hospital w Menningitis twice.
Sent home w steroid, soon as steroids stops crushing heachahes...

spinal tap this am... increased pressure 38... draines 20 mls off.... still SEVERE headache

Hospital wants to put shunt in???

WHERE SHOULD I TAKE HER? ANSWER QUICKLY, NEED TO MAKE DECISION NOW!!!!!

Posts: 21 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi waterfam2,

I just sent an urgent, private message to BettyG.

I'm so sorry. I understand your fright, from your post. I think she usually gets on the forum in the evenings.

I'm so sorry, but this is way over my head. I'll PM Lou. OK?

daise [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Everybody:

Who has experience in this? Please reply. Help needed!

daise [Smile]

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
waterfam, [group hug] [kiss]

this is above me too, but let me ask you these questions to get a better handle on things on my end, and for me to send SOS to 3-4 folks whose opinions i really respect.

1. which children's hospital are you at? name and city please.

2. is your daughter under the care of a KIDS LLMD? which one since there are 4 in NEW JERSEY!

USE INITIALS ONLY on LAST NAME ... OK! None of them have same last initial so it will help.

they gave her steroids and did spinal tap this am!

they want to put a SHUNT IN!

let me send your post here to several folks and hopefully they can post on here QUICKLY. i never know IF THEY ARE ON PCS or not. I don't have their phone nos.

others reading this post, send out SOS's too.

mom, try this too NOW! i'll send my SOS to tincup and PAT SMITH, LDA PRESIDENT...

Please go to SUPPORT GROUPS, left-hand side column by state.
CALL the nearest group leader for advise.
Do NOT email; many are too sick to reply; thanks!

http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates/NewJersey/

20-30 listed....1 of them should be directly in YOUR area where you live!!!

People seeking doctors in certain states might be able to
get help from their state online information and support group. Over 1500
people belong to these state groups. Many of the groups are small
but quite a few have 20 or more people on them.

To find your state group, go to
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/statenamelyme

Type your state name and lyme as one word, e.g. newyorklyme

For SC, SD, ND and WY, put a hyphen between the statename
and lyme, e.g. northdakota-lyme

The groups are moderated so you have to apply, and we don't
allow doctor names, but once on the group, you can ask for doctors in a certain area and ask people to email you privately.

mom, this is as much as I know! best wishes to you/daughter! my thoughts/prayers will be with you both.

update us all please! thx [group hug] [hi]

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mom, have YOU CALLED YOUR CHILD'S LLMD??? if not, please do immediately!!

i just sent out my SOS to those above plus to all 70 folks on my lyme group list!!

hopefully, the cavalry will come and respond SOON to you. [group hug] [kiss]

waterfam2
Member # 14956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterfam2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im at children hospital philadelphia. I do have a LLMD DR P in absecon. I am waiting for him to call me.

He put her back on ceftiroxone for a clear 4/6 weels. We did miss a dose yesterday. SHes two weeks into ceftrioxone.

I am uncertain if Dr P will tellm e what hospital he advocates.

Posts: 21 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just got 2 automatated replies back:

TINCUP IS OFFLINE FOR NOW UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

LDA PRES. PAT SMITH IS GONE UNTIL MARCH 19....

I just sent this link to a new person treating lyme; hopefully, they will respond immediately!

signing off lymenet until late tonight! Betty

pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is her headache different after the LP? My son has had 50 ml drained with a pressure of 45. It takes awhile for the brain to adjust to the lower pressure.

I would think most neuros would do several LPs before shunting.

Good luck!

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Up
bsigel
Member # 11810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsigel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with PAB,hopefully they will drain off more with an LP or maybe give her diamox, if they can before they rush in to do a shunting procedure.

My daughter had 2 LP's that showed intracranial pressure, the first one didn't do much of anything to relieve headache. The second one they must have drained off enough, because it stopped her from projectile vomiting which had been going on for awhile.

We will pray someone can help you all!

Posts: 41 | From Warfordsburg,PA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikej2323
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikej2323     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waterfam2-

What was the reason for the brain surgery on Jan. 28th?

Was there a pleocytosis with the LP this morning? This would show if there were any WBC's in the fluid. I would see if you can get a specimen to culture. Sounds like some form of encephalitis. Encephalitis can have numerous different causes.

Obviously, they are checking for the bugs that cause meningitis, but should also check for mycoplasma, bartonella, herpesviruses and echoviruses. Blood tests for those would be needed, too.

Was there ever an MRI done? Doublecheck with the neurologist to see if there is what's called a Chiari malformation. Without more information, it's hard to know if this would be it, but a Chiari will have headaches that present like this.

If they want to shunt, they must want to redirect the CSF. There is a special MRI that can be done called a cine-MRI that will show how the CSF is moving around the brain and spinal cord.

If a Chiari wasn't being looked for on the MRI, then it could have probably been missed. If you do another MRI, you need to get the maximum multiple angles; sagittal, frontal, transverse, and mid-sagittal planes. This is CRITICAL!!!

Good luck.

Mike
[email protected]

www.caringbridge.com/visit/angelsforalex

Posts: 252 | From Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bsigel:
I'm with PAB,hopefully they will drain off more with an LP or maybe give her diamox, if they can before they rush in to do a shunting procedure.

You would think they would try that first!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackpowder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackpowder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you are going through this. Fin, a former poster is a wealth of information and resides in NJ. She can help you. I'd trust her info for my own family and myself. Here is her e-mail. [email protected]

Contact her. She knows alot about the docs in New Jersey. Good luck and God bless

Posts: 111 | From Pa | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by waterfam2:
In a childrens hospital right now, !4 year diagnosed w Lymes in October.... treated fw days on amox.

Next treated w doxy less than 10 days.

Betty G this is for you!

BNext treated w Ceftrioxone, 2 weeks, then dermoid cyst shows up.

Brain surgery jan 28th

I am unclear about this: Is she's had lyme since October, how come she only had three weeks of treatment in four months -- ??? Did she have a regular doc and not an LLMD during these months?

quote:
In and out of hospital w Menningitis twice.
Sent home w steroid, soon as steroids stops crushing heachahes...

spinal tap this am... increased pressure 38... draines 20 mls off.... still SEVERE headache

Post spinal tap = crushing headache, as in, WORST EVER headache, even using every precaution. Did they try a blood patch?

Has she been tested for coinfections? At what lab? Babesia can cause wretched headaches!!!

Hospital wants to put shunt in???

I would do this only if she was in danger. I hope by now an LLMD has responded who is familiar with your situation. Neurologists are notoriously unfamiliar with lyme disease and its manifestations. It would be very reassuring to have one overseeing.

quote:
WHERE SHOULD I TAKE HER? ANSWER QUICKLY, NEED TO MAKE DECISION NOW!!!!!
I'm not local so can't help with that.

I pray for the best outcome for you. I would think she should STILL be on IV ceftrixiaxone; two weeks is not nearly long enough, especially in light of having had steroids, which inhibit the immune system, allowing any remaining lyme bacteria to flourish.

Please keep us posted when you are able as I know you must be terribly busy and stressed; you'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive only heard good things about childrens hospital of phila.

My mom works with someone whos son has a swollen knee they drained it and tested it for lyme. They made the lyme diagnosis after this three year old just stopped walking suddenly.

Im not sure if any of the other top Philly hospitals would treat a child. Im thinking they most likely would refer her to childrens.

From my limited knowledge of brain surgery, I think menengitis can be a side affect of the surgery.

I hope your LLMD was able to guide you.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mom, i hear my close friend, ICESKATER, was aboe to make contact you! so glad since she's a former RN, and dealt with that hospital all the time.

hope things are better now then when you first posted late afternoon.

by the way, WELCOME to the board; and glad you found us! [group hug] [kiss]

edited to add: since blackpowder showed FINETTE'S HOME EMAIL, thank you; finette sent this to me by way of another forum.

[ 17. March 2008, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

waterfam2
Member # 14956

SHe has been on ceftrione again throgh IV. She is 2 weeks into treatment but has missed the last two days doses. The docs here believe she has been treated sufficiently "probably". My LLMD put her on it however the IV failed saturday right before w left for the hospital. I have the anitbiotics at home but I would need to get her out of here or sneak it in like ai did last time.

The military is currently flying my husband home
so I can get some relief and help!

hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mom, I forwarded your message to a semi-local person who has experience with CHOP and Lyme.

I'm praying for your family!

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waterfam,
I am going to pm you with some local contacts.

kp

Posts: 394 | From tinton falls nj | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. How long has she been treated by the LLMD?

2. Has she been tested or treated for coinfections like babesia or bartonella?

3. I would ignore the hospital's BS about 2 weeks being long enough and demand she be put back on IV Rocephin (Ceftriaxone) assuming your LLMD's OK. Hope you have heard from him by now.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am unclear as to wether this is a 14 year old,,,or a 4 year old??? Has shown both ways .

Either way I would get them to the famous DrB(oops,,,edited to say I REALLY meant Dr. J,,my bad))) as soon as possiible,,he is the BEST kids doc

IF anyone can make a difference for this poor child HE can!! wishing the best for you and yours--just don--

[ 17. March 2008, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: just don ]

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[

[ 17. March 2008, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waterfam2
Member # 14956

My daughter is 14 years old. To give everyone information, My LLMD answering service failed to forward the message to him yesterday so I am glad to know he still loves us. My husband is currently in a helicopter flying to us from the carribean. (USCG)

I have opted to give her a couple of meds to sedate her enough to get her in another ambulance to transfer her from chops to john Hopkins. My LLMD recomended someone...a woman at stoneybrook in Long island. Unfortuanetly my insurance I dont beleive is accepted there but I did bring up this dr's profile and she has been trained, interned, and fellowed at JOhns Hopkins.

So off to another hopital and another 3,000 doctors. Amazing this all started ecause I thought it would help my child's self esteem to have her own thing. a horse on a farm w LOT AND LOTS OF DEERS AND TICKS.

Will this nightmare ever stop? Has anyone ever overdosed from eatting to many oreo cookies and lorne doones. They have cases and cases of them here at Chops. I guess if they cant fix your child you can always soak your sorrow in a cup of milk w unlimited cookies. Dont worry my husband the commander will be here soon and make sure I dont ovedose! [bonk]

Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to interject that Johns Hopkins is well known to be a very poor choice when treating Tickborne diseases.

Please, speak with your LLMD before making this decision.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Waterfam, I know you're under a lot of stress and pressure right now. But can you please answer the questions above. Briefly restated, those are:

1. Has your LLMD been treating her since October or did you only just recently start up with him?
2. Has she been tested for coinfections like babesia and bartonella, etc?
3. Why was she on only a few weeks of treatment if she's been sick since October?

Thanks.

Michelle
PS Melanie is really RIGHT ON about Hopkins. Do a search here and put the word HOPKINS in the title line. It's scary. Have you been in contact with anyone who has PM'd you?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

HOPKINS???? THAT'S AS BAD AS MAYO FOR LYME!!!! [shake] [dizzy]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Mtgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mtgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely have Chiari ruled out. Even a herniation of less than 5 mm can cause a huge amout of CSF issues. As mentioned above, DEMAND a cine MRI to look at flow dynamics within the CSF. I actually had encephalitis and a resulting Chiari Malformation from my neuro-lyme infection. After 10 weeks on IV rocephin, my herniation went from a 6.6 mm to a less than 5 mm herniation. Absoluetly continue on with the IV antibiotics, and maybe a shunt will not be necessary.

I'm sending you and yours lots of positive energy and wishes of luck for a good pediatric LLMD neurologist!

--------------------
Mountaingirl

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 138 | From West Virginia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with the others about Hopkins. It's not known for being Lyme literate or friendly.

I believe that Don meant to suggest you contact the famous Dr. J (not B) who is the foremost Lyme pediatrician, located in CT.

I can't imagine the stress you are under, and I know it's tough making decisions when you are limited by insurance and you are talking about lots of $$ here, but do try to get to the best hospital for treating Lyme that you can find.

[group hug]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I wasn't at my computer last night. When I just checked my e-mail, I saw a message asking me to relay information to you. [Frown]

Cave76 (recently banned) e-mailed asking me to tell you to contact [email protected], Fin (also banned) had read your post and wanted to help you, but couldn't so she posted on Lymeneteurope to try to find someone to get word to you to contact her.

I did see that Blackpowder already gave you her contact info. Fin is very familiar with children's doctors/hospitals in NJ. I hope that she was able to give you the help you needed.

I'm so sorry you're in such an awful situation. [Frown] I'll keep you & your daughter in my prayers.

[group hug]
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks everyone for jumping in and helping mom and her sick daughter in hospital.

yes, i agree with rest; HOPKINS IS NOT A GOOD CHOICE OF WHERE TO GO!

mom, have you talked to ICESKATER/Sandi who sent you a PM; she is WELL VERSED on this children's hospital, and would be a good person to bounce things off since she was a pediatric RN in her former life before lyme!

mom, thanks for all the updates, and keep them coming, and please try to answer michelle's questions who is quite the RESEARCHER also. [group hug] [kiss]

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Is there any update on this? Would be great to hear some good news!

Michelle

mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any news...??

[Smile] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hopkins is probably working overtime to convince her there's no such thing as lyme. [shake]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

waterfam
Member # 14379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterfam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!!!

Well They schediles ny daughter for an eye exam and could not see any pressure in her eyes. SO I was able to just send her medical recoreds to John Hopkins.

The Drs sent her home on steroids and gabapentin so we are just waiting to see if the fluid comes back in ten days after we cut her off the steroids. I'm Praying but IM afraid it will.

If the swelling comes back then she will have to have the shunt??

Will see our LLMD tomorrow!!

Posts: 8 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waterfam
Member # 14379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterfam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!!!

Well They schediles ny daughter for an eye exam and could not see any pressure in her eyes. SO I was able to just send her medical recoreds to John Hopkins.

The Drs sent her home on steroids and gabapentin so we are just waiting to see if the fluid comes back in ten days after we cut her off the steroids. I'm Praying but IM afraid it will.

If the swelling comes back then she will have to have the shunt??

Will see our LLMD tomorrow!!

Posts: 8 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Waterfam, thanks SO much for checking back in. I know you've been really busy. Have you had time to read the posts above?

I'll re-ask my questions here!

1. Were you able to speak with anyone who contacted you regarding a better hospital if daughter needs to go back in?

2. How long have you been with this LLMD? How come only a few weeks of treatment if treating since October?

3. Has she ever been tested and/or treated for coinfections like babesia or bartonella? Please advise about that.

The answers to these things will give a lot of insight and ideas. Thanks!

Michelle

Lymetoo
Member # 743

The steroids will make her worse, I'm sorry to say.

I do hope you find the time to answer Michelle's question. Very important.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Up for answers to questions, and an update from your LLMD on his opinion!
Lymetoo
Member # 743

up
mikej2323
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikej2323     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I agree the steroids will probably not help, if not make matters worse. If there is swelling somewhere, the macrolides, rocephin, some of the fluoroquinolones, doxy, and minocycline all have anti-inflammatory effects.

Current Molecular Pharmacology, 2008, 1, 68-79
Bentham Science Publishers Ltd.

Immunomodulatory Properties of Antibiotics
S.C. Tauber and R. Nau*

Department of Neurology, Georg-August-University, G�ttingen, Germany

Abstract: There is growing evidence that certain antibiotics exert their beneficial effects not only by killing or inhibiting
the growth of bacterial pathogens but also indirectly by immunomodulation.

This review aims at giving an overview of the
immunomodulatory properties of antibiotics in different diseases:

The antiinflammatory properties of macrolides in
chronic inflammatory pulmonary disorders were recognized more than 15 years ago and have been well documented in the last decade.

Recent data suggest that several antibiotics such as tetracyclines and cephalosporins may have a beneficial immunomodulatory or neuroprotective effect on neuroimmunological and
neurodegenerative diseases including
multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

Moreover, the non-bacteriolytic but bactericidal antibiotics rifampicin, clindamycin and
aminoglycosides kill bacteria without releasing high quantities of proinflammtory cell wall components.

The use of bactericidal, non-bacteriolytic protein synthesis inhibitors reduces mortality and long-term sequelae in experimental
bacterial sepsis, plague and meningitis.

Clinically, macrolides have been well established as an adjunctive treatment to Beta-lactam antibiotics in pulmonary diseases. For other indications, appropriate clinical trials are necessary before using the immunomodulatory properties of antibiotics in clinical practice.

I would scream as loudly as possible to get an MRI, or another one along with the cine-MRI. There should be no way to put in a shunt without a good CSF dynamics study!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
[email protected]

[ 20. March 2008, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: mikej2323 ]

Posts: 252 | From Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Up
waterfam
Member # 14379

Greetings everyone!!!!

After our last discussion, we were able to only send my daughters medical records to John Hopkins. They sent her home w neuortin and more steroids. Naturally she lasted for another 19 days. At that point we went back and opted for the shunt. We wondered if it would help>????? But i am glad to report we have finished our IV therapy for Lymes, the headaches are gone and so is the hydrocephalus... NOW WE WAIT TO SEE IF AND WHEN IT RETURNS!!

Thank you for all the prayers and advice!!!

Lori

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lori, i wandered how you came out; this was on page 2 !!
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori,

What kind of shunt does your daughter have? I hope it works for her!

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikej2323
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8913

Lori,

Did she ever get an MRI?

Mike
[email protected]

hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP for update
Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the new President uses John Hopkins and Cleveland Clinic as prime examples. I heard him speak this on t.v.. So sad.
Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is she still on antibiotic therapy? I have been ambulanced to the E.R. with severe pressure in my head but my b.p. was way over the limit.

They gave me something that made me feel weird and did take a scan of the brain. Gave me i.v. fluids, and eventually sent me home.

Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Waterfam, you can put your update here.
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, she should have never had the surgery. This was horrible. Absolutely horrible.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement