LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Going to ER...should I mention Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going to ER...should I mention Lyme?
chamade
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chamade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello...I am covered in a rash of small red dots and plan to go to the ER today. How should I handle the Lyme topic? I am thinking about not mentioning it at all and if they want to give me steroids, refuse them.

Any experiences appreciated

--------------------
Why me? Well, why not me???

Posts: 411 | From San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you called your LLMD? I would do that before going to the ER. I'm a skeptic that the ER will be able to do anything. I personally wouldn't go there unless in danger of death.

Have you tried taking Benadryl?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe allergy eating any nuts lately?
Is rash itchy ?
Benedryl?
Above all stay calm.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chamade
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chamade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I left a message on his phone yesterday...no answers.

I did take benadryl half an hour ago, hope it helps. I really think this is a strange herx cos my neuro pain is at an all time low and I have a low grade fever.
It has been 3-4 weeks since I started taking malarone and artemisinin for the first time and also moxifloxacin for bart.

I have been eating cashew nuts for the last few weeks, wouldn't the allergic reaction happen immediately though?

I also started B12 shots 5 days ago, so that's another possibility I guess.

The rash didn't itch the first day, but today it does.

--------------------

Posts: 411 | From San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto what six said!

If you are taking any lyme or co-inf meds, they will ask why you are taking them... Do you have a fever?

If they determine you are not dying, they might give you a "band-aid" and tell you to follow up with your Dr. You could wait for many, many, many hours if not needing urgent medical care.

We have learned to call our llmd, or PCP. The nurse might be able to offer advice. If this is not an option, do you have a walk-in GP? Our walmart has one, and there is a chain here also, one even open after hours.

Good luck!

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the rash is worse within a day or two I would suspect a medication allergy -- possibly the malarone.

Hubby had an allergic reaction to Mepron -- started 10 days after he started the med. First day 1 or 2 hives -- within 24 hours entire body covered with red itchy hives and by 48 hours he looked like he had a full body sunburn. Retained 10 pounds of fluid.

Don't think I would go to an ER unless you have additional symptoms besides the rash.

Would be a good idea to take pictures of your rash though.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't go either unless you begin to feel your throat close up or something. But do be looking at the meds you are taking.

This is what *I* would do and NOT medical advice.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANON
Member # 14992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ANON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I am not 100% sure, but I think I have heard of B-12 causing a rash such as one you have described. You might want to check with your doctor.

Posts: 13 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chamade
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11472

I ended up not going to the ER, instead took 4 Benadryl tabs so far today. Doesn't seem to be doing anything for my rash and LLMD isn't getting back to me.
I don't know what to do...I took all the abx as usual out of fear that if I stop, resistance will develop.

The weirdest part is that I have almost no nerve pai n in my legs and hands. Usually my hands are really sensitive and if I handle frozen food the pain flares up, yet today that symptom is gone.

ANON: if it is an allergic reaction I agree that it's the B12 injections most likely since I started those a few days ago.

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chamade,

B12 shots; read the info you got with this injection stuff; SIDE EFFECTS ....

good luck! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been eating cashew nuts for the last few weeks, wouldn't the allergic reaction happen immediately though? No it dosent have too it didnt for wife

Me and my wife were both eating cashews I was eating about half a container wife unfortunitly ate a whole one keep in mind we were doing this everyday for a about 3 days she broke out in a rash under her boobs and inner thighs and on her chest and arms tiny red dots. I ended up taking her to the er she was to excited and all they did was give her one ativan oh her lips even swelled a little that night next day rash was going away and she slept alot.

Yep your on the ticket I would bet its cashews wife or i never ever had allergies to nuts at all befor lyme.

Dr LLMD when we went to see him said she now has allergy to nuts from trees.

So be careful stop eating them for now and take the benidryl.

Stay calm calm dont eat anymore of them while treating and if you try again later on get a script for a epi pen just in case breating gets involved or swelling.Good luck its the nuts.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chamade
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11472

Just an update...right now I am covered in this rash head to toes...it's everywhere, even on my tongue.
It seems to have stabilized and started drying up.
The individual spots look a lot like acne, except there is no white or black tip.
It looked like a textbook case of allergy to me, but my LLMD's nurse said she doesn't think it's an allergic reaction...but she is just guessing.

My neuropathy is still at a minimum since the rash started. Maybe it's just a coincidence...I've had unusually good days before.

--------------------

chamade
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11472

Momfromtexas, I am also on Doxy(been on it for a year) in addition to those other abx. I was tested for mycoplasma a few months ago and only IGG was weakly positive suggestion a long gone infection.

I have a feeling it's the B12 shots that gave me both the rash and improvement in neuropathy as they are the only med I started a few days before it happened.
It would be really bad if B12 shots help me, yet I can't take them due to allergy...

--------------------

ANON
Member # 14992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ANON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chamade,

Were you taking Cyanacobalamin or Methylcobalamin? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but if it turns out to be the B12 that caused the reaction it may be that if one gives you a rash you could take the other. You would have to check with your doctor though, be very careful if you have had an allergic reaction to something.

Posts: 13 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement