LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme & Spine Questions -- down and out with spine fractures

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme & Spine Questions -- down and out with spine fractures
Munch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not been able to post here in over a month. Sitting is hard due to osteoporosis type compression vertebral fractures at L4 & L5. I didn't know it but I also have another old healed one at T10.

Even with a California LSO brace, I am not able to sit for long periods. Picture a black velco attached girdle with more velco to really hold me in. Sexy it ain't.

Getting an increase in pain meds has been an adventure in bad medicine. Due to my age (49) getting this diagnosed has been difficult too.

To top things off my computer developed IBS after a power outage corrupted the system files. Mostly the constipation improved when the hard drive was replaced.

My new ortho doc looks like a 12 year old Lex Luther from Smallville. He never wastes an opportunity to push kyphoplasty on me. Not to mention the "bone building meds" advertised on TV.

I got the Boniva kit but it needs to be administered via IV push. None of the rural IL docs want to give me the med.

They advise taking it over to the hospital outpatient department. Do they not want the liability? Or can they all just not have a skilled RN to do IV push?

This isn't even something controversial like IV Abx. Sally Field aka "Gidget" "The Flying Nun" or "Mrs Walker" is pushing this stuff. Can it be bad if "Ms Wholesome" herself is plugging it?

Is there something better? More natural? Does anyone know anything about strontium? That's been highly recommended as number one in Europe but of course it can't be patented so it's not on TV.

Has anyone with Lyme had kyphoplasty? That's where they inject glue or cement under high pressure into the vertebral area to plump it back up to it's previous volume. I read the glue leaks but Dr Lex can't tell me where it goes. Does it really help the pain?

Are spinal fractures common with Lyme? I just started growth hormone in Sept after flunking a stim test. My pituitary and hypothalamus don't make it anymore. Thanks Mr/Ms Tick!

Dr C says it takes 6 years of being growth hormone deficient to cause osteoporosis. But the big question is how long does it take to reverse? Can it be reversed? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 192 | From Dwight, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry for what you are going through. I am 43 and I am having terrible issues with my spine. I can barely sit up at all anymore, and I don't even have a diagnosis of what is wrong with my spine. doctors are trying to say it is normal aging.

how did you go about getting a diagnosis? I have a bunch of bulging discs, just about at every level (12 levels) I also have 2 slipped vertebrae, and a ruptured disc.

to clarify: I am being treated with abx for lyme and co-infections, I dont have a diagnosis of what is wrong with my back

my pain started in my neck, then spread all the way down to my lower back, then around my ribs, now to sacrum and pelvis. this took about 4 years for it to spread, from 2004-2008.

i have a pain dr, but she is clueless and is trying to get me to go to physical therapy. everytime i go, i get excrutiating pain and it takes 2-3 weeks to heal. no fractures are showing up except one in 2006.

[ 17. April 2008, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: roro ]

Posts: 615 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've reversed my osteoporosis of the spine in 2 years.

I take strontium citrate pills (non-prescription), 680 mg per day on empty stomach; actually about 2 out of 3 days.

I take Vit K2 menaquinone-4 ( called "menatetranone") pills, 45 mg (sic) per day.

I take "Bone Restore" Calcium pills, Life Extension brand, the evening or night dose being the most important; and magnesium pills to balance the calcium.

I hope you know about basic nutrition for other things like selenium, zinc, copper, B6, Boron, glucosamine, etc.

Exercise is crucial for me, both impact exercise and resistance exercise. Vit D supplements I take, and get tested.

I posted a Pubmed article about essential oils hindering the osteoclasts that work at night dismantling your bone, like Penelope. I was taking 2 or 3 drops of sage oil for a week and drinking sage tea for a year, until i learned that sage oil contains toxic ketones, mainly alpha-Thujone, which is the active ingredient in Absinthe.

I hope you noticed that I don't take doctors' drugs like bisphosphonates.

Strontium has a few risks, be sure to search it, you can read about trial results under "Protelos" the European drug made by Servier. Such as, a 1.49 risk of blood clots. I take Nattokinase to combat this effect.

[ 18. April 2008, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: pamoisondelune ]

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ralph
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best reference I have seen / used is titled "Perfect Bones" by Pamela Levin. Excellent info on how protein is needed to form the frame for the minerals to be deposited in. Fats are the "taxis" that take the minerals to the bones.

And hormones are the "bone bank managers" that control all. And of the course the "guards" that help the bones stay healthy are exercise as mentioned above and staying off of certain foods. Available at www.amazon.com and do a search with the title.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard about vertebroplasty but haven't spoken to anyone who's had one. Ask your MD about the success rate.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently had a bone density scan which showed I had osteoporosis. I'm 54 yo and have been physically active most of my life before Lyme.

I was referred to an endocrinologist who specializes in bone metabolism and he said that some of my labs were very "mysterious". I told him I was sure that my osteoporosis was due to Lyme disease. "That's very rare around here" is what he said, which made me roll my eyes and I had to tell him that it really isn't.

Anyway, he ordered a battery of more tests and when I went back for a f/u, he said that he couldn't figure out what was causing it, but I was losing bone at a much faster rate than normal. He was able to rule out cancer, fortunately. And again I told him I was sure it was due to my Lyme disease. "You've heard of Lyme arthritis?" I asked. Well, those bugs are just eating away at our bones and joints. Mainstream medicine just doesn't realize what a serious illness this is yet." Then he said, "You may be right". Apparently I have some hormones that are as good as a 20yo, but my bones are similar to a 70yo.

I'm going to be starting Reclast infusion (once yearly dose) as soon as possible and am treating my Lyme as aggressively as possible. I hope it works, but until I get rid of the bugs, it will continue to get worse, maybe just not as fast.

I've also been diagnosed with spinal stenosis and have noticed that sitting on hard chairs starts bothering my lower back. I hope the Reclast will help slow or stop this from happening.

Patti

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i, too, have a of back pain. i have bulges throughout the neck and lower back.

some days it hurts so bad i can barely sit on the toliet....

my L4 and L5 are shot....

but i'm never having back surgery. i have a friend who has had 3 lower back surgeries and now has what they call failed back syndrome. she's on heavy duty oxycontin and had to quit teaching....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any back surgery does not have a very high success rate. I am a nurse and work in surgery.

We have performed Kyphoplasty several times. It used to be done by the radiologists down in xray, but they have started doing them in surgery.

I am not sure why. I have not heard of the outcome on these, but I feel like it is a "last resort" type thing.

The cement is really hard on your body I know. I cannot imagine it being good that close to your spine.

That is just my opinion. I have seen what tissue looks like in total knee revisions, etc.

It isn't nice looking. Just a couple thoughts. Take care! I wish you the best.

orrn

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I bet you all have tried this already
but have you tried Gluscosimine Sulfate-(GS)

I used to have extreme back and joint pain
like you all describe --

I took GS and it did help some what with the pain
but I am 100% sure that my joints and back
would be Toast now if I had not taken the GS-

It HAS to say Sulfate on the label -
If it says HCL on the label it dose Not work
as even close to as good as GS --

I get the Whole Foods Market store brand-

Dont buy at walmart-- Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My teenage daughter with Lyme and co-infections had terrible neck, back and knee pain for more than three years...(and was in wheelchair that long due to pain.) Just this summer, we were guided to see a chiropractor who specializes in the upper cervical area (the neck.)

Dang, if my girl isn't up and walking around (after 14 treatments). Now, her main pain is in her ankles and feet, which had atrophied from dis-use. The chiropractor is working on those now, and she is getting better every day.

The theory of upper cervical chiropractic is that when neck vertebrae are out of whack, it can affect how the brain communicates with the rest of the body. When things are lined up properly, everything works better, and the body returns to doing what it's supposed to do.

It certainly worked for my daughter.

Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement