LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Enula for Babesia - response so far?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Enula for Babesia - response so far?
suki444
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
I wondered how people were doing on this? Does it seem to be treating the Babesia?

I was on it for two weeks but got the gut symptoms and had to stop..it seemed to 'control' my symptoms a bit, but who knows if it was really erradicating it.

How are others faring on this??

Many thanks
emma

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be interested in hearing this also. I just started Enula this week and can't really see any real effects yet.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I have the co-infections but I've been on the full Cowden protocol about 10 days or so. ENULA is part of it.

It seems that ENULA is a purgative. I found that it did cause me to purge my bowels.

This may be a good thing in synergistic reaction with other herbs or treatments. It may not be something that you want to do for a long time, though.

Just my experience so far.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking the Enula for several weeks now. I didn't think it was doing anything until I took the 36 hour break after 12 days.

That night I had a drenching night sweat, which is one of my classic babs symptoms.

I chatted here with someone else about it, and he said his wife also had a sweat her 36 hours off it.

So, it must be doing something. I'm on a lot of other stuff, so sometimes it's hard to know what's doing what.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is way too early to ask that question. The product has only been available for a few weeks, it is way too soon to make judgments. It will take several years to compare results.
Clarissa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for more responses, please. [Smile]

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, you are right.

Like you, I hope it proves to be effective in the next few years.

Wouldn't that be nice?

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you guys tell me how you cycle the Enula?

Thank you

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12 1/2 days on, 36 hours off.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nori
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Dr H on the lyme induced autism conference on the web last week say it appears to be helping some of his patients. With these early reports he is getting some are reporting reduced night sweats and air hunger on it.

--------------------
Nori

Posts: 109 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I collected some info about this herb and its interactions. The enula that Cowden is using may have some unique properties, I don't know; but here is some general info for what it's worth:

Enula campana, also called elecampane, inula helenium (latin):

Expectorant, anti-tussive, diaphoretic, hepatic, anti-microbial.

Traditionally, elecampane has been taken to treat respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis because chemicals in it cause mucus to become thinner. Consequently, congestion in the lungs may be lessened and the elimination of excess mucus may be easier. Elecampane may also help to decrease coughing.

Interactions of Elecampane root with Prescription Drugs:

When elecampane is used with prescription drugs that promote sleepiness, the effects of the drug may be exaggerated, resulting in sedation or mental impairment. Prescription drugs that can cause sleepiness include:

Anticonvulsants such as carbamazepine, phenytoin and valproic acid
Barbiturates such as phenobarbital
Benzodiazepines such as alprazolam and diazepam
Drugs for insomnia such as zaleplon and zolpidem
Tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline, amoxapine, doxepin and nortriptyline

Elecampane may increase the blood sugar lowering effects of insulin and oral drugs for diabetes, such as:
Actos, Amaryl, Avandia, glipizide (Glucotrol XL), glyburide (Glynase), Glyset, metformin (Glucophage), Prandin, Precose

Due to its possible ability to lower blood pressure, elecampane is believed to increase the effects of drugs that also lower blood pressure. Some blood pressure-lowering drugs include:

ACE inhibitors such as captopril, enalapril, lisinopril, and Monopril
Beta blockers such as atenolol, metoprolol, and propranolol
Calcium channel blockers such as nifedipine, Norvasc, and verapamil
Diuretics such as Dyazide, furosemide, and hydrochlorothiazide

Interactions of Elecampane root with Non-prescription Drugs:

The sleep-producing effects of over-the-counter products containing diphenhydramine can be enhanced by taking elecampane at the same time.

Diphenhydramine is contained in many non-prescription sleeping pills as well as in some cough and cold products, therefore caution should be used when taking these medications with elecampane because excessive drowsiness may result.

Interactions of Elecampane root with Herbal Products:
Elecampane may cause excessive sedation if it is taken with other potentially sedating herbs such as:
Catnip, Hops, Kava, St. John's Wort, Valerian

Because elecampane may decrease blood sugar levels, taking it with other blood sugar-lowering herbal products may result in hypoglycemia -- blood sugar that is too low. Herbals that may reduce blood sugar include: Eleuthero, Fenugreek, Ginger (in high amounts), Kudzu, Panax ginseng

Interactions of Elecampane root with Foods:
No interactions between elecampane and foods have been reported, but drinking alcohol at the same time as using elecampane by mouth may result in increased drowsiness.

Elecampane has also been used historically to treat poor digestion and general complaints of the intestinal tract. It is also good for diseases of the chest, and has great virtues in malignant fevers. It strengthens the stomach and assists digestion by inhibiting the production of phlegm that is the result of weak digestion.

In Oriental medicine, the flowers were used in the treatment of excessive phlegm.

Elecampane contains alantolactone, which helps to expel intestinal parasites, such as pinworms.

Actions and indications in brief:

Antitussive: Bronchial and tracheal catarrh, chronic and irritating coughs, bronchitis, pulmonary tuberculosis, wet congested asthma. BHP specific, for Bronchitis and Tuberculosis

Anti-inflammatory: Immunostimulant: Hypotension, ME, autoimmune disorders, supportive to diabetes

Restorative: To endocrine system (slow acting herb). estrogen and progesterone
Antibacterial Anthelmintic: Parasites

Anodyne: Acute pain from sciatica, gout, arthritis, paralysis, nerve injury, chronic ulcers

Diaphoretic: promotes perspiration

Digestive tonic and gently loosens the bowels

Antispasmodic: Colic, nausea, dyspepsia, anorexia, malabsorption, anaemia, indigestion, liver congestion

Elecampane belongs to the same family of plants that also includes chrysanthemums, daisies, and ragweed. Individuals who are sensitive to any of these types of plants may also be sensitive to elecampane.

Other side effects that may be associated with taking too much elecampane include:
Diarrhea, Dizziness, Stomach Cramps, Vomiting

Induction of Detoxifying Enzyme by Sesquiterpenes Present in Inula helenium.

Sun Seong Im, Ju Ryoung Kim, Hyun Ae Lim, Chan Ho Jang, Young Kyoon Kim, T Konishi, Eun Ji Kim, Jung Han Yoon Park, Jong-Sang Kim JOURNAL OF MEDICINAL FOOD, 2007 - iufost.edpsciences.org

Our previous study showed that the methanolic extract of Inula helenium (elecampane) had the potential to induce detoxifying enzymes such as quinine reductase (QR) and glutathione S-transferase.

In this study we further fractionated the methanolic extract into hexane-, dichloromethane-, butanol-, and water-soluble fractions according to polarity.

The hexane fraction showed the highest QR-inducing activity and also induced glutathione S-transferase in a dose-dependent manner. Its potential to induce the reporter activity suggested an antioxidant response element-mediated mechanism of action in the induction of phase II detoxifying enzymes.

Intraperitoneal injection of the hexane fraction of I. helenium into ICR mice caused a significant increase of QR activity in liver, kidney, small intestine, and stomach.

Sesquiterpenes, isolated from the hexane fraction, appeared to be major components responsible for QR induction. Among the seven compounds tested in this study, alantolactone, isoalantolactone, and 5alpha-epoxyalantolactone significantly induced QR activity in both Hepa1c1c7 and BPRc1 cells.

In conclusion, sesquiterpenes, including alantolactone, isoalantolactone and 5-epoxyalantolactone, present in I. helenium merit further evaluation as chemopreventive agents.

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Looking, thanks for posting that information. It's very interesting.

[ 18. April 2008, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

--------------------

Clarissa
Member # 4715

Looking:

Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to do the research and sharing!

Best,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't realize it was so new to the market. I wonder how Drs can be so enthusiastic about a product that they have no experience with?
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
levity101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for levity101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking,
That is interesting info. The second piece looks like a published article. I've found it difficult to find much info on the Cowden/nutramedix products -- the herbs are mostly S. American and don't seem to correlate with Western and Chinese, which are more widely described and the Nutramedix site is vague at best.
I'm wondering where the first entry came from--could you post the source? (I thought it might be from the PDR to Herbal medicines?).
Thanks,
Nancy

Posts: 688 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nancy, you're right the last part is an abstract you should be able to find on pubmed perhaps.

The first part is mostly just some bits and pieces from a chinese herb supply company who have "phytochemists" supplying info on their herbs apparently. I'm not promoting the site.

The chinese do know a lot about herbs though. I don't know if the S. American version has unique properties, that's why I said it's general info about inula helenium for what it's worth.

I was originally looking for info explaining why "Enula" was causing loose stools. It seems this product may be meant to do that, as it also contains Ipomoea jalapa -- used as a purgative in the treatment of constipation, colic and intestinal parasites.

The other ingredient is "Blood Wiss (vitis tiliafolia) used to purge the blood and alleviate pain. There isn't much info available online about these last two herbs.

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried enula for 5 days and made it up to 15 drops twice daily. It had a strong laxative effect, and I had to stop it because it was uncomfortable.

I'm interested in how it's helping others.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I may have babesia which is preventing me from overcoming the Lyme. I may try Enula again at a lower dose. Buhner recommends Cryptolepsis. I wonder if that works.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Those that take Enula, what is your dosage and how often do you take it?

Thanks.

mountaingirl
Member # 7304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountaingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Enula since March 6. 12.5 days on, 36 hours off, then 12.5 days on. 30 drops in the am and 30 drops in the pm, just before meals.

I am one of Dr. H's chronic babs patients. I supposedly am not exhibiting any more lyme symptoms, and I have done everything for babs over 3.5 years: mepron/zith; larium; quinine; clindamyacin; chloroquine; primaquine; riamet, malarone.

my symptoms are: headache in the lower part at the back of my head; night sweats, about 12 days out of the month; low grade fever 99.6 every day, starts in the late morning and goes all day until the mid-evening; some malaise where I really feel like i have a fever.

i started enula and within a few hours i had the back-of-head headache. i was up and down for a few days after that, then three straight weeks of not feeling well: headache, malaise, fever, sweats. then a week of feeling better (no headache) and now it's on and off, every day is different.

my doc said he had a patient whose symptoms increased for three weeks, then everything cleared up on the 4th week- no symptoms.

the jury is still out for me and i am trying to remain optimistic. i've tried everything and i took some drugs for many months (merpron...over a year). if this doesn't work i don't know what we'll do next.

mg

Posts: 34 | From Colorado | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by Looking:
it also contains Ipomoea jalapa -- used as a purgative in the treatment ... intestinal parasites.

Okay, this explains a LOT! [Eek!] I wondered why I might be getting rid of intestinal parasites .... yuck.

CherylSue, I use the same dosage as mountaingirl. MG, I hope it works for you!

--------------------

trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
30 drops 2x day
Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

MountainGirl:

Did you ever add artemisae into the Mepron/Zith mix?

Just curious as it seems to work for a lot of people but I do believe that there are some persistent cases out there.

I pray the Enula is your answer...you've WAY overpaid your dues on this coinfection.

Best,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I see Dr. H too. Haven't noticed any side effects/effects from the Enula yet.
Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CherylSue - it occurred to me that taking charcoal may be counter-productive to taking the ENULA.

Sometimes purging can be an effective way to get rid of toxins or parasites. It's not good to overdo it, either. You may want to let nature take it's course with the ENULA or lower the dosage a bit.

Just some thoughts - I'm not a doctor.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Unregistered

Thanks everyone for the feedback...every time I try to add it back into my malarone regimen it upsets my gut so I cannot take it anymore right now.

Mountaingirl, Have you tried double dose Mepron with Bactrim AND Zith (or Flagyl instead of Bactrim) along with Artemesia? Some people are also trying Alinia for Babesia and it is mentioned in the Schaller book, not much evidence yet on how effective it is tho.

Emma

jamescase20
Unregistered

maybe I better start the elua agaoin too.
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Sparkle7, per my LLMD's suggestion, I also take Alli. I can only tolerate 1 pill in a day with a meal, and I don't take it everyday. Just when I need a purge.

I took activated charcoal yesterday for some bad herxing. 2 in the am and 2 in the afternoon. I took 1 Alli last night after having chicken wings (think fat) for supper.

Today I am going and going purging the charcoal.

CherylSue

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Any more positive experiences with Enula?
sonicbmx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonicbmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can i take Enula while on IV Rocephin & Zith?
--
sonicbmx

--------------------
"The hell with Drs.. we have each other!"
My story began here:

http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=16210
http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=7833
http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=6873

Posts: 127 | From Van Nuys, CA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

CherylSue, I do notice that I herx after taking it, and I always think that's a good thing in the long term.

By the way, I'd like to add that I've put some drops of Enula on a rash I have and it has helped reduce the itching and has helped reduce or eliminate the rash. Something I think some of you others out there w/rashes might want to try.

Patti

psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

I'd like to add that I really think the skin, our body's largest organ, is really overlooked by our Drs as an entity that needs special attention and should be treated with topical antibiotics.

If you try it, just test a small area, because depending on your rash, it can cause a big herx.

kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started on teh Cowden Protocol. 2nd day of adding enula.

So, can't help you much at this point.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on the Cowden. Just reached my full dose over the weekend. I'm on my first day and a half rest of Enula.

So far I got rid of some parasites but no die off or change in symptoms.

I don't have any symptoms of Babs, though.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

I've been taking 30 drops twice daily of Enula now. Not too bad anymore with the laxative effect. However, I've been noticing more mild night sweats (chest/neck area). Is this common? How many months does one have to stay on Enula?

CherylSue

Angelica
Unregistered

CS my LLMD thinks that localized sweats are more bartonella related and night sweats which are more all over the body are more babs related.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement