LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Effects from B12 only last half hour?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Effects from B12 only last half hour?
trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feel EXCELLENT for about half hour after b12 shot, including no brain fog and almost as much energy as I had 3 years back before I got bit, than after the 30 minutes Im back to being basically bedridden. Shouldn't the effects last longer?

Also my friend who is a medical assistant has been giving it to me for the past couple days until I get the one LLMD prescribed mailed to me from pharmacy. Could it be a different kind of B12 than you guys take?

[ 22. April 2008, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: trish4 ]

Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might be that you are that low in your body that its used up fast?

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will take a while for your body to build up the B12.

You might want to consider using sublingual as well, so you can take a little whenever you feel you need it for an extra boost.

I use Perque brand, which is not cheap but works. I know it works because my blood levels are up significantly. I buy it from www.wellnessworks.net. I also use a drop of a product called Folirinse on each tablet, the Folirinse is folic acid. It's important to make sure you get folic acid with the B-12.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I think you are right treepatrol, so that explains it! Thank you. My LLMD did say my B12 was extremely low.

Thank you Aniek for the info, I will look into it [Smile]

Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over time you will see that helps and stays longer.

The day I had to travel to CT -almost 12 hrs day on the car-i felt fine after 2 year that was a torture for me to stay sitting on a car and travel.

This time ( after 3 months ) I did the injection before I left .And helped tremendously.

3 months ago ..i could not move from the bed -when came back..

Takes time:)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MethylB12 is the best form and works awesome. Sublingual is not absorbed enough, you will know if B12 is working properly if your urine turns pink.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalysT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalysT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Trish. Out of curiosity, what form of b12 are you getting (cyanocobalamin, methylcobalamin, adenosylcobalamin[sp?]). Also, what dose are you getting, 500mcg, 1mg, 5mg, 10mg, 25mg, etc?

If you are getting a high dose of say, methylcobalamin, it may be from the temporary methyl-donor activity and increase in methylation. High doses of some cobalamin's have also been shown to possess some anti-malarial activity(1).

I really agree with WildCondor about the methylcobalamin being the superior/desirable form...

Other than that, I dunno maybe you are/were b12 deficient, or there is yet another mechanism. An idea perhaps, if you are getting the injections into your muscles, you could perhaps try injecting into fat instead (such as fatty tissue in buttocks). I was reading from parents of autistic children who were using methyl-b12 injections, claim that they noticed better spread out benefits from doing that method. I've read of people using up to 25mg/IM a day of methylcobalamin, so if you're taking less than that then maybe try to get a more concentrated one from a compounding pharmacist (from rx from dr). I can give you the contacts for a good one if you need it.

Either way, good luck, hope you find ways to feel better!

1. Naturally occurring cobalamins have antimalarial activity.

--------------------
"You know, the worst, meanest, nastiest, ticks in the world are politicks," - Steve Nostrum

Posts: 242 | From South NJ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to be clear, I was recommending sublingual in addition to the injections, not instead of injections. It might help add some additional boosts.

I know people keep saying that sublingual isn't absorbed, but my blood levels increased significantly taking sublingual. I think one problem is I've seen some sublingual tablets that are 5000 mg that they say to take once every 3 days. I take 100 mg tablets, 3 a time, 1-4 times a day.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalysT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalysT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aniek:
I think one problem is I've seen some sublingual tablets that are 5000 mg that they say to take once every 3 days. I take 100 mg tablets, 3 a time, 1-4 times a day.

I believe you mean 5000mcg (micrograms), not mg. And you probably mean either 10mg (milligrams) or 100mcg (microgram) tablets. I've never heard of a B12 tablet that contained more than 10 or 15mg (10,000-15,000mcg).

I did read a study saying the body is able to absorb b12 via a mechanism independent of intristic factor, if you take large enough doses. I don't think oral/sublingual's are worthless, but I still do think that the injections are the superior method.

--------------------
"You know, the worst, meanest, nastiest, ticks in the world are politicks," - Steve Nostrum

Posts: 242 | From South NJ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement