LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » LIVER ENZYMES-STOP ABX???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LIVER ENZYMES-STOP ABX???
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help please!!!!!!

My liver enzymes came back elevated.
My ALT is 59 (reference range is 0-40).
My last blood test was 3 weeks prior and my ALT was 13.
My LLMD wants me off the abx for a week.

Was on Doryx 400mg (since late Feb. 08),
Plaquenil 400mg (since early March 08),
Rifampin 600 mg (only two weeks- 8 days at half dose then to 600mg)
and Enula (Cowden herb for babs).
Plus pro-biotics and various supplements.
I am also taking Nystatin daily and Diflucan 200 mg once a week.
I follow a very strick yeast free diet too.

I was taking Milk Thistle 560 mg per day and Dandelion for my liver but maybe I was taking it with my other supplements and it was not working???
I was taking Alpha Lipoic Acid too.

Is this normal protocol to go off when liver enzymes are too high?
I am worried about this but have a phone consult this week with him.

I did get pretty sick from the Rifampin
(I believe this weekend (threw my guts up)
only started it 2 weeks ago and only got to the 600mg dose 5 days ago.
Blood work was done 2 days after dose increase.

How long dose it take for liver enzymes to come back down anyone?????

Thanks in advance.

Stacyb

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my liver enzymes were up I went off abx until they dropped. It didn't take long, they were normal within a month.

Yours are not extremely high. So I wouldn't get too worried.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for replying.
I will talk to my LLMD tomorrow so I hope to get some answers then.

Stacyb

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yours really aren't that high, and stopping and re-starting Rifampin can be a problem -- read the history of threads on here that talk about this.

Some other things that brought my enzymes down fast after all of those things you mentioned weren't enough: nebulized glutathione, detox baths (epson salts), this product called Liver Life, juicing cabbage and apple, decreasing my fat intake dramatically, and taking on an empty stomach: 1 Tbs. olive oil, 1 Tbs. lemon, and a pinch of cayenne.

This combination brought my enzymes down in 2 wks after they had stayed elevated and were not changing for 2 months.

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your AST also elevated? Our PCP told us he doesn't get concerned unless both are elevated.

Try the lemon oil drink. Another variation is to blenderize half a lemon with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Strain the mixture and drink first thing in the morning.

Also look into NAC (N acetyl cysteine).

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My liver enzymes hit the 800s (ALT and AST) when I was on IV rocephin...yeah, just a little high. I went off all and a week later the levels dropped quite a bit (so I started back on orals) and by one month, they were back to normal. Never had any other problems on other antibiotics. So, to answer your question...yes, it is appropriate to come off of meds and let your liver balance out again.
Posts: 561 | From mass | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Hi,

Everyone thanks so much for the responses.

Parisa,
no my AST is not high 28 (range 0-40) it did jump from 12-- 3 weeks ago.

KS,
thanks for the advice seems your levels were much higher and came down quickly.

LymeCF----,
I did not think my levels were that high either but my guts were hurting so bad and I was vomitting and could not even keep the meds down this past weekend or anything. So nauseated too.
Maybe that is why my LLMD said to go off abx for a week?
I have great concern about the Rifampin too. I have read so many conflicting opinions on here about folks on it. My LLMD says no problem with stopping and resuming but I think it can be.
Also I do not want to allow the bugs to develope a resistance to it by stopping it so soon.
I only got up to the 600 mg for a few days.
May have to stay on the lower dose for a while longer.
I will talk with the LLMD today.
I will let you know.
I have heard about most of the suggestions you mention but need to try them as well.
I will look into the liver product you mention too.

Thanks for all the support,
Stacyb

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stacy, talk to your LLMD about whether coffee enemas will help with liver enzymes. I know he will not laugh at you over this as he's supportive of them but generally does not bring them up himself.

I really think that the enemas have helped me .... I've never had my liver enzymes raise .... and I've done the enemas frequently.

Also, would FIR saunas help? I would think the more you can detox through the skin, the less you have to detox through the liver.

My LLMD is also very supportive of saunas.

Ask him what alternative stuff you can do to have this not happen again.

The toxicity can make you as sick or even sicker than the Lyme itself, so yeah, you need to go off meds for a bit.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Just talk to LLMD and he said my enzymes were not very high at all.
He just wanted to give me a few days break but I am back on the abx yea!!!!!!!!

He is sending me some supplements to help such as NAC and ALA and some other Hep. formula he has.

Six I did not ask about the coffee enemas or the saunas, as I saw this after talking to him.
But I know he is a big fan of the saunas.
I need to get on that too as I was about to order and then life got in the way. I need to try your famous recipie for the coffee too.
Seems there is so much to do with this illness.

Thanks everyone!!!
Stacyb

JENNJENN
Member # 11952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JENNJENN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you need to get a vitamin called silymarin....it works wonders on the liver!!!!! look it up and then go buy it! it is wonderful stuff

i had the same problem when i was on iv therapy....i took that for 1 week and my liver count was back to normal.....u can take up to 3 pills a day and i was only getting in about 1 or 2 somedays.....u should really try asap!!!
see u

--------------------
JENNIFER HUBERS

Posts: 24 | From BALTIMORE | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Hi JenJen,

Isn't Sylmarian = Milk Thistle ?
I know when I looked on my Milk Thistle it has pure Sylmarian 80% in it.

If not what kind do you use?
Send me a PM on it if you do not want to list brand here.

Thanks,
Stacy

cottonbrain
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i read somewhere that levels 100 times normal are considered mild to moderate!

that level seems alarming to me, but my own enzymes were slightly elevated like yours, and my LLMD advised watching it, but not worrying too much.

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Cottonbrain,

Thanks for the reply.
I talked yesterday with my LLMD and he said not to worry either.
It was a mild elevation and he is sending some pharmacutical grade or neutraceutical grade supplements to help.

Only thing that scared me was when I looked up what ALT means and it is directly realted to liver cell death and or inflamation. It states it is the most reliable of the entire panel (such as Bun, Creatine, and even AST) for liver.
Luckly our liver can regenerate and is a tough organ but nothing to ignore either.

I am glad as I did not want to go off the abx, just got diag. in Dec. and started in Jan/Feb.

Thanks again and I will let you all know how it goes.

Stacyb

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement