LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Terrifying symptom -- anyone else have this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Terrifying symptom -- anyone else have this?
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really starting to worry me.

The worst symptom I've ever gotten and it's terrifying, is feeling like I'm going to lose consciousness. On Wednesday of last week it was so bad I couldn't even fall asleep and the whole night was terrible. Chills, night sweats, hot flashes, heart palps, nauseated, loss of appetite, and feeling like I was going to just lose consciousness the whole time.

Usually it starts with hot flashes and then feeling really lightheaded and faint. Then I get this feeling that just feels like I'm going to lose consciousness over and over again.

It's so hard to explain but so very scary.

I just want to know if anyone else has this symptom? It hasn't happened very often. It's been about three or four times, but it happened again last night and it's really starting to scare me. I don't know if this is a normal lyme/co-infection sort of herx or feeling and that's what frightens me. (I'm on Babs treatment now with Biaxin and Bactrim)

Whenever this happens it gets to the point where I feel like I'm going to die. On Wednesday, I was THIS close to going to the ER at least five different times.

Anyone else have this too? It's really frightening because I'm not sure if it's a regular lyme/co-infection symptom.

The last time I had this really badly was when I first got really ill and was undiagnosed.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raiden Kitsune
Member # 14125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raiden Kitsune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not an expert on babesia, since I don't (think I) have it, but it definitely sounds like what I've heard other people say about it.
Posts: 23 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure what's causing it, but I remember hearing the fascinating theory that sometimes herx reactions work in the opposite direction of your symptoms, e.g., your later symptoms will express themselves and heal first, working all the way back to your first symptom.

Since this was an early symptom of yours, maybe it is a good sign that it is being "worked on" by your system.

mazou

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've had this many, many times. It feels like I could go down at any minute, though not sure if mine would actually be a fainting or a seizure.

I have been on the verge many times, but have never actually blacked out. I have LD, babs, bart and Ehrlichia...I don't know which is causing it. I have only been on abx for a couple of months with really no significant change at this point.

My "almost blackout" spells aren't as frequent as when I first got so terribly ill over 2 years ago. I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly; I hope you get better soon.

[ 06. May 2008, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: tickssuck ]

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had your thyroid checked?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if this is similar but I had a feeling that, for a split second, someone turned my "on/off" switch "off"...It's almost like as soon as I recognized that I felt like I was going down, my body caught itself again...It's very difficult to explain...Since treating for babs with Mepron, zith, and Artemisin, I've never had that feeling again....

Hang in there...You will get better!!!

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peacesoul - Yes, and I do have borderline hypothyroidism but have been treating that for almost two years now.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antsettler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antsettler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i feel this way too from a treatment for bab, doctor told me that whould be a herx, but is worse and continous, be carefull, tell it seriously to llmd
Posts: 108 | From spain eur | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This symptom started for me about 1 year ago while under treatment.

I also have Babs. HOWEVER.......

It has advanced to the point that I do black out now! I've passed out many, many times!!

I would consult your Dr. A.S.A.P., or even another Dr.!!

It can be many things from a "herx", to your heart, thyroid, Anmeia, etc....

Of course I am not a Dr.! But, please don't always assume that the cause is Lyme, Babs. or herx; even though it may be!!

It can be from something totally differant, and (just my opinion) dangerous not to have it checked!

God Bless!!!!

Posts: 351 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgaTX
Member # 15314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgaTX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this on and off for years. Since I have started treatment I have had it less, but it still gets pretty bad at times.

For me, I get very dizzy & woozy and feel like I am going to pass out. Usually I'll get tunnel vision and I feel like my hearing start to fade away. If I sit down and rest it goes away.

I have both lyme and babesia, so I'm not sure which one it is from.

hope you feel better soon!

Posts: 46 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Disturbed,

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Just thought I'd let you know that Bactrim is also used to treat Bart in addition to Babs (I don't know whether the Biaxin treats Bart).

I agree with some of the others here, I'd contact the doc and discuss this with him. If it's herxing, there could be a possibility that you are herxing from both babs and bart and it's alot for your body to handle at the moment.

I'm wondering if he might have you take some days off. Also wondering about the possibility of introducing the Biaxin and then Bactrim (or vice versa) slowly -- alternating days, or whatever, so your body isn't slammed all at once right now with herxing from more than one infection.

Anyway, these are just suggestions. I'm not a doc. I do hope you start to feel better soon.

Fuzzy

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

/\/\/\

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often felt like I was going to pass out while going through babs herxes. The scariest times were when I felt that way even though I was lying down.

I assume you are lying down when you feel like you're going to die??

I would call the LLMD just to be sure. Have you had any tests run on your heart?

My heart issues first surfaced when going through babs treatment.

Also, I wonder if the combo of Biaxin and Bactrim is a good one? I've never heard of someone doing that combo.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmurfyMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmurfyMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES! I've done this since high school. Some periods of time (like months...) it is only when I stand up, other periods of time it is whenever.

Everything fades out slowly from the edges in...just like in the movies! The sounds all get way far away and then disappear.

Kinda like backing up into a cave and drawing curtains over the opening.

I have blacked out many, many times. The last real doozy was several years ago when my 9yo was an infant.

I passed out walking across the room holding the baby! Hubby called the EMTs and they (of course) wanted me to go in, but no $$ and it was just a goose egg on my head. Baby was fine.

Should've seen my typing the next couple of days, though. LOL Me thinks slight concussion?? haha

Posts: 155 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Lymetoo - Yes, I've had lots of heart tests ran in the past (last year mostly). All came back normal except for some regurgitation, but not very much. The cardiologist said that it wouldn't cause heart palps or tachycardia that I was having. And he said many people have regurgitation and it's not something to usually worry about.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had something similar though I'm not sure if it's the same. I basically felt like I was about to "cross over," like I was going to die, and felt like I was drifting into these half-alive states and about to lose consciousness. I often had severe chills during those times.

It has gotten better since I started treating for bartonella. I also take artemesia for babs (and am just starting bicillin for Lyme, after doing a long round of amoxicillin).

I agree this symptom is terrifying. Do you have hypotension? Could any of your meds be increasing hypotension? If so, drinking fluid replacement drinks or just adding salt and potassium salt (salt substitute) to a liquid and drinking it all day can help.

Sometimes it has felt like my body was just down-regulating everything so far to protect itself that it almost killed me, but actually was probably saving my life. Hope it passes soon.

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

I do have hypotension. Never had it treated though because when I see my doctor it's always 100/60, so they don't think much of it. At home it's always 80/50 or 90/50. But it's strange that I've only had these episodes only a few times if hypotension is the cause. The last time I had such an episode was in Jaunary of '07.

Now I'm wondering if maybe anxiety/panic has something to do with it.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

ForestNymph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ForestNymph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
disturbedme,

What your describing sounds exactly like what happens when I have a petit mal seizure. I always feel like I'm going to lose consciousness but instead of passing out I stare off into nothingness.

For awhile I didn't know I was "losing time" during these episodes until one night when I was listening to music and I noticed a gap in the song (about 10 seconds) when I felt faint.

Whenever I come out of it I have no awareness of the spacing out but like Bugg said, it feels like someone turned on a switch.

If it is a petit mal seizure they are generally harmless. In LD and other TBDs, petit mal seizures can be caused by neurotoxins. They usually only last a few seconds but can last longer.

I'm not saying for sure this is what you have but it sounds very similar. I was really scared also when it first started happening. Sorry you are going through so much.

[group hug]

--------------------
Infected in March '06

Lyme Disease, Bartonella, Babesia

Diagnosed June '07

Remission Since September 2011.

My Story:
http://lymelabyrinth.blogspot.com

www.myspace.com/psyche_entranced

Posts: 119 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justwondering
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justwondering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all kinds of chest and heart herxes during babs treatment for me.

very scary.

check with your doc, of course, but those type of panicky and chest and heart probs were very intense for me the first couple of months of treatment.

hang in there!!
jackie

Posts: 209 | From maryland | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by disturbedme:
I do have hypotension. Never had it treated Now I'm wondering if maybe anxiety/panic has something to do with it.

Nah, don't start believing it's in your head. This sounds way too physical.
I've suffered horrible panic/anxiety for over 23 years and your symptoms seem inconsistant with panic.

Another crazy question. Are you perimenopause of in menopause?

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Peacesoul - I'm 24 years old.

BUT this does usually happen the first day of my period. I think I forgot to mention that. The first time it happened really badly was the first day of my period. Then on Wednesday when it happened it was the first day of my period.

It doesn't always happen on my period, but it seems that when it does happen, it is during my period.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Peacesoul
Unregistered

quote:
Peacesoul - I'm 24 years old.

BUT this does usually happen the first day of my period. I think I forgot to mention that. The first time it happened really badly was the first day of my period. Then on Wednesday when it happened it was the first day of my period.

It doesn't always happen on my period, but it seems that when it does happen, it is during my period.

Goodness, I thought everyone was an old fart like me on here ;-)

The reason I asked is because I was going through the exact same symtpoms as you last year.
Every time it happened, it was the first day of my period or 24 hrs prior to the start of my period.
I was always close to fainting and feeling like I was out of my body. I sometimes felt better when my period came, but sometimes it would last 2-3 days into my period.

My Gyno and my ND believe it is hormone related and they are assuming I'm in perimenopause or had a thyroid issue. I'm 42.
My feeling:the lyme is affecting my hormones.
But this is all just a guess

Are you on the pill?
Drink soy or eat a lot of soy products?
Have you ever tried Primrose oil or black cohash?

[ 07. May 2008, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Peacesoul ]

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Peacesoul:

I am not on the pill.

I do eat a lot of soy (I'm vegetarian).

I used to take primrose oil and I usually take black cohosh around the time of my period but didn't this time around. I forgot.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same symptoms prior to diagnosis.

I call them "night terrors".

Enough said because the feeling is terrifying.

I had them sometimes during the day, but mostly at night.

Horrible sensations that would pass like a wave from my head to my toe.

Feeling of numbness throughout body, elevated heart beats, air hunger,etc.

This gradually diminished on doxy.

However, I am on babesia treatment (again) and have since started with

Some of those symptoms again. Mostly as I am falling asleep, I jerk awake

Thinking I am not breathing. Still scares me.

Sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

I hate those night terrors.

BTW, Paxil (which was Rx'ed to me for PTSD prior to Lyme diagnosis)

Really made those night terrors horrifying.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geneal, you expressed how I feel perfectly. I've had the feeling of my body "dying" right when I would fall asleep and my body would jerk itself awake. Its only happened about 15 times in my 3 years of being sick but it suree is scary.

And I, have the faint feeling. It has gotten much worse since starting abx though.

Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

quote:
Peacesoul:

I am not on the pill.

I do eat a lot of soy (I'm vegetarian).

I used to take primrose oil and I usually take black cohosh around the time of my period but didn't this time around. I forgot.

When I stopped all soy, all these symptoms stopped.
Try stopping all soy for a month and see if that helps.

My ND gave me the whole run down of how bad soy is for women and hormones. Which I already knew, but like you, I was a pure vegan.
I'm no longer a vegan by the way. I eat chicken now.

My hair also stopped falling out when I stopped soy. I was losing handfuls a day.

Keep up wih the Primrose a week before your period also.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement