LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » A thought about lyme becoming "triggered."

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A thought about lyme becoming "triggered."
Niere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thought has been bouncing about my head for the past few days and I was wondering if anyone thought there might be some validation for it.

Obviously I have no empirical data to back this up, but it's just an overall impression I've been getting about why and when some people get sick and others don't.

Where I live I have friends who spend tons of time outdoors and it perplexes me as to why they aren't riddled with tbd's.

So here's my thought:

perhaps people who live in certain areas do become exposed to the general strains of tbd's in their area, and their immune systems are able to handle it.

However, when they go somewhere else and are exposed to different strains of tbd's, that's when they get sick and their systems can't handle the overload.

The reason this thought came to me is that it seems as though a lot of people seem to have a clear idea of when they contracted their lyme, and it seems that often times it's when they are somewhere other than their native area.

Just as an example--I have a farmer friend who lives a very modest life--spends most of his time gardening or chopping wood. He has a dog and numerous cats, all of which I'm sure sleep with him or very close to him. And I wonder how it is he's not ill! But he's also rarely ever left the state of RI.

Obviously there are a ton of other factors that can play into how and when a person gets sick, I'm just wondering if this isn't one of them.

Thoughts? Feel free to say if you think it's unlikely, I'm not invested in this idea one way or the other. Just curious to see what others may think about it. [Smile]

Posts: 237 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are just so many intangibles we're dealing with in this

situation--I just learned from my new LLMD last week that

some people actually have a natural immunity to borellia. Go

figure...

I got persistent Lyme and Bart from my first tick, btw...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ralph
Unregistered

There are some factors that are confusing.

My two kids - girls now 15 and 10 - have always spent lots of time outside. The older one has rarely had ticks on her. The younger one, playing with the older one outside, has always essentially been a MAJOR tick magnet.

The younger one has always loved eating carbs, so she is probably also full of candida.

laurie sm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurie sm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niere- Interesting thought. I live on Long Island and have been to Fire Island many times which is infested with deer.

But although I have no clue where I got my tick I have a feeling that it was many years ago when I was hiking in Utah or calif.

My husband and I love to travel and we had such good times but NOW I am paying for it BIG TIME.

"It will get better" And when that time comes I will still travel with long pants and socks......

Laurie

Posts: 256 | From long island, new york | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
has always essentially been a MAJOR tick magnet.

The younger one has always loved eating carbs, so she is probably also full of candida.

Maybe that's it!

Those with candida [and most don't know it] are the ones who are tick magnets!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know about the candida theory , my former coworkers ate sugar and candy bars all day long...and didnt get ill like me. Oh and they drank beer like it was water.

I got sick on vacation, north of where I live, so that theory could be possible.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

My Lyme really flared when I moved, so yeah, moving from a native area would seem to be a trigger. But it's more than that, I think.

I realized after moving here that my Lyme symptoms would increase during certain activities - driving my car, sitting at the computer, using a cordless phone - all of these things riddled with electromagnetic fields.

I then learned about electrosensitivity and realized that the trigger wasn't so much the move itself or the non-native area, but rather the concentration of cell phone towers and antennas fueling my Lyme in a new area.

The farmer who doesn't have Lyme probably has fewer cell phone towers in his area.

www.antennasearch.com

christinelyme2
Member # 15028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christinelyme2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I was wondering what is the candida theory? And what tests are good to get when you want to know if you have co-infections? [confused]
Posts: 27 | From pa | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgaTX
Member # 15314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgaTX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been REALLY curious and confused on why Lyme hits some people harder than others.

I grew up hunting with my family in Texas and there are now AT LEAST 10 of us who got Lyme from the hunting lease we were on. (many others I suspect have it who have been diagnosed with other things such as arthritis, MS, CFS, etc but were happy with their ELISA results or refuse to be tested.)

I have had probably over 1000 tick attachments over the years of hunting & horseback riding. But no doctor EVER tested for lyme or tick borne illnesses.( I had to go to CA, NY & MO to get diagnosed) They do not believe that it exists in Texas.

One of the older men got sick immediately, was hospitalized and treated. (he lived in a different city so we didn't hear about it until someone told us when I got diagnosed many years later)

I started getting weird symptoms around the same time as this man when I was in middle school (pleurisy like pains, swelling legs, swollen bug bites, sore throat, flu symptoms, fatigue) but the doctor's had no idea and just said I had virus after virus.

I broke my tail bone my freshman year of high school and got endometriosis and ovarian cysts all around the same time. This is when everything started going downhill and the lyme really exploded. My most of main issues now all stem from my pelvic area where I had all this trauma.

It still took 6 years after this point to get diagnosed, so the BB had a lot of time to get settled in my body.

One doctor told me that lyme especially like traumatized tissue and body parts. That makes sense to me as why I got worse before some of the others, as I had the trauma to my hips, tailbone and pelvic area "trigger" the lyme to worsen.

My sister became symptomatic 8 years after I did.

My husband, sister,& dad all tested positive but are not symptomatic.

My cousin just started having symptoms and tested positive.

One man who only came out to the lease once 10 yrs ago was misdiagnosed with MS, and is not completely deaf, cannot walk, and has lost some vision among many other issues.

It is CRAZY to me how all of our bodies reacted differently to the same exposure to lyme.

The human body & immune system really are amazing and bizarre things.

Sorry this is so long, I just thing its nuts how some are affected and some seem to be "immune". I think this is a huge reason why Chronic lyme has so many problems getting recognized.....because it doesn't happen in every case.

Posts: 46 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Alot of people have antibodies for lyme disease but may not be sick at all....

I think it has to do with the immune system getting too weak at one point and the lyme taking over.

I know one LLMD believes that 95% of people can show antibodies for lyme but not be sick...

teresambear
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for teresambear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband always would say to me I don't understand why you pull so many ticks off of youself. They seem to be attracted to you" and I do have candida problems. That can explain it. I do think that everyone is diffrent. Some get sick right after a tick bite. Others it is more gradual. In my case I have had lyme for years had symptoms over the years that came and went not until 5 months ago when I was stressed and also had a viral infection did it constantly effect my life. There is so much that is not knowen about this disease and probably co infections we have not even heard of yet. With that being said I believe there are so many people out there who have lyme but are treating other diseases even depression. Teresa
Posts: 115 | From warwick, new york | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticks_me_off
Member # 14929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticks_me_off     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a great theory. I believe it is what happened to me. I have lived my entire life in New Hampshire. Always outside in the woods, hiking, gardening etc. I believe I got Lyme when I spent a few months in Maryland about 5 years ago. That is the only time I have ever spent out of NH (other than a week here or there).
Posts: 16 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's that if you already have candida, the lyme has a much easier time to take hold and do its damage.

Christine..... Do a search here on candida or yeast. Type in my member #743. It will bring up tons of info.

[I've got to get OFF this computer!]

Also .. check into Fry labs for coinfection testing.

Sometimes it helps to pose your questions in a new thread. Otherwise it gets lost in the shuffle.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what really set my lyme disease off was a bad fall. I had not felt well for years and never knewn what was wrong but after the fall I went down hill fast.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sick- i had a bad fall too, landed hard on my back, only thing visably bruised was my big toe.... three days later was in the ER with odd symptoms. Its one of many things going on in my life at that time. Ive never recovered.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fell right on my butt. I was walking down some steps outside and the light was burned out. I thought I was on the bottom step but there was two more.

I fell on cement. It didn't seem to do much but really hurt at the time but as the years followed I slowly got worse. Of course I thought I had fibromyalgia then and just thought it was getting worse.

I know now it somehow really stired up the lyme disease. I have seen a fall do the same thing to two others.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement