LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » heat and humidity.....worsen symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: heat and humidity.....worsen symptoms?
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else notice that heat and humidity worsen or exacerbate their symptoms.

I was in Florida 2 weeks ago and am still recuperating......now NJ weather is turning hot and sticky too......can't move....numbness, weakness, trouble swallowing, head pressure pain...and the list goes on.

This has been the case for me for all my adult life, even as a child I could not tolerate hot weather. My reaction to the heat was one of the reasons docs years ago suspected MS.

I know this is not an uncommom reaction to those suffering with MS........but I don't know anyone with Lyme who has this problem.When the weather heats up, and I start to fall apart....well I sometimes wonder if I don't have Lyme and MS.

Any input would be appreciated....... [Big Grin]

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am exactly the same, I think it is a combination of a few things

NMH (Neurally mediated hypotension) that is commmon in Lyme and apparantly gets better with treatment and gets worse in heat and stress

OR where the toxins mobalise due to heat

OR the spiro's themselves hate the heat

All we can do is treat and leave this terrible symptom behind.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your not alone here many many Lyme patients are heat intollerant have a lo0k at some of last summers posts

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=035138

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have had trouble with heat for a long time...is it herx??? but i have a lymie friend who is the opposite-better in heat. worse in fall/winter.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nj,

I am fine with the sun and heat....but humidity I just wilt.....I just can't tolerate it.... [toilet]

I'm a bit nervouse now about going away....
my DH wants to take me on a "lyme vacation" which is very very nice of him.....he has been looking into florida.....

I'm doing much better then several months ago. I know that he will plan things to do around how I feel that day...
but the humidity I know will make me more fatigued..... [shake]
where in florida were you?? and how bad was the humidity??everyday??

hope you still had a nice time while you were there....
its unfortunate we have to take our lyme with us on vactions.... [Mad]
[Cool] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmbfan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmbfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see i am the exact opposite. I CRAVE the heat and I like a bit of humidty. Everyone thinks my office is gross-warm and sticky!
Posts: 368 | From freehold, nj | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in Florida for years and became more and more heat intolerant.

I was miserable!

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dm....

was it you that just went to Mexico recently??

if so....I beleive you said you went off your doxcy....for a week??
how did you make out with the sun??
I love the sun...am fine with the heat...but humidity..... [toilet]
DH is trying to plan a trip for us....but I'll have to go off doxcy...

[Cool] mtree

--------------------

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi mtree,

We went to Disney World, and yes thank you we had a great time. I refuse to give into Lyme on vacation. We have never been there before in April, it was hot. We tried to start early in the day, then we would take a break and go out later if we could. One of our daughters had a few rough days...we take one day at a time and do what we can.

Our children all have lyme, only one is sensitive to the heat like I am.

This time we stayed in the park. Last time we visited this area we were there in late fall....the weather was more agreeable for me then. We stayed off the disney property - rented a townhouse 10 min. away - it was roomy with kitchen and several bedrooms. This is important when some of us need to nap and others don't. We much prefered those accomodations.

Sorry others out there know what the heat and humidity can do, thanks for the support. I feel as though I have been sprialing down since our return. I know it will get better - chin up- but everytime I hit that spiral - and I have been there many times - well, it never gets less frightening does it? [shake]

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

nj,

no it never gets less frightening.... [shake]

I am sorry to hear about you AND your kids...
I'm thinking because you went to Disney they are young...
I'm so glad to hear that people still go on vacation with lyme...(if they can)...
there hasn't been many family vacations that Ive gone on without lyme....
We would have missed a lot of family memories if we waited until I "felt" better....
My daughter also has lyme/Ehrlichiosis..at age 4....in remission for years...then surfaced in her teens....and now at 21..... [Roll Eyes]

were any of you on Doxcy while there??
I'm going to have to be put on something that I can be in the sun with....not happy about that....

thanks for your in put....
[Cool] mtree

--------------------

njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

none of us are currently on doxy.......but we have been in the past and that was a really difficult summer - i still garden and even with my oversized floppy hat and sunblock i couldn't get enough protection.

We look for shade during the day but we have more fun at night - the parks are open late - so we can still sleep 1/2 the day and still have time for some fun

we only went to FL because the older 2 were there with their HS Band performing.......great for the memory book

i don't want my girls remembering me as their sick mom.........i want them to remember how much fun we had [woohoo]

--------------------

cb

mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

nj,

my daughter had several cheering competitions there.....

lots of fun!!!!
.....yes my kids don't remember how sick I was...they just remember how much fun we all had. [Big Grin]

[Cool] mtree

--------------------

cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i cant tolerate the heat either exact symptoms you described and i have been cleared of MS 4 times now!

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with ya! I'm from the heat and humidity capital of the world, Houston, TX!

That's one reason we're still in Missouri! Can't take the Texas heat.

I even dread the summers here, but they're not nearly as long or as HOT as the TX summers!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

I thought this was a great article, albeit another problem for us to deal with

http://www.rifelabs.com/heat-and-lyme.html

HEAT INTOLERANCE & LYME DISEASE

Individuals with chronic Lyme Disease may experience heat intolerance related to an especially hot day, sauna therapy (far infrared, ozone, or conventional), hot tub/whirlpool use, or even a hot shower. These symptoms may be aggravated by a standing position, dehydration, and certain medications. The severity of these symptoms can range from mild to life-threatening

Most people understand that longstanding Lyme Disease can damage the nervous system. This damage may affect the central nervous system, the brain and spinal cord. In addition, the peripheral nervous system, the individual nerves outside of the spinal cord that control the muscles of our arms and legs, and the nerves to our organ systems may be damaged as well. The peripheral nervous system is divided into the somatic nerves and the autonomic nerves. Somatic nerves, or nerves to our muscles and skin, affect feeling and movement. Autonomic nerves control our organs to include the heart, blood vessels, bowel function, bladder function and other internal organs.

Lyme Disease may damage the central nervous system in many ways. One area that can be impacted is the hypothalamus and pituitary gland which are located in the center of the brain. The pituary gland is often referred to as the "master gland" in that it controls many other endocrine glands including the thryoid, adrenal glands, ovaries, and testicules. An endocrine gland, by definition, is a gland that secretes hormones into the blood which then contols other parts of the body. When Lyme Disease damages the pituitary gland, it can have an impact on all of these other glands and cause deficiency symptoms. On can become hypothyroid (low thyroid function) or have decreased adrenal hormone output as a result of damage in the brain. This type of problem is referred to as a secondary endocrinopathy or an endocrine problem caused by some other area of the body other than a particular gland itself. For instance, if the pituitary is damaged and does not secrete enough of the hormone that's needed to simulate the thryoid (TSH-thryoid stimulating hormone) one would label this problem as a secondary endocrinopathy.

In addition to secondary endocrinopathies, Lyme Disease may directly damage endocrine glands. The pancreas may be damaged directly resulting in diabetes, the adrenal glands may be damaged directly resulting in adrenal insufficiency, or the thryoid might be damaged resulting in low thyroid function or hypothyroidism.

Primary and secondary endocrine disorders are reasonably well understood. What isn't understood is that Lyme Disease can cause BOTH primary and secondary endocrine disorders at the same time. Unravelling this situation is near impossible. There is nothing written, to my knowledge, in any text book about a medical model for this type of complex situation and few doctors understand the concept. Lyme Disease is capable of damaging just about any part of the body and that's why this complex situation may exist. In either type of endocrinopathy, replacement therapy is usually prescribed.

Whether primary or secondary, it is not uncommon for Lyme patients to have some degree of adrenal insufficiency. Moreover, standard testing generally isn't adequate because the usual variation of adrenal hormone, cortisol, does not follow the usual patterns. In normal people, cortisol levels are highest in the morning and lowest as night. In Lyme Disease this pattern is often interrupted and reversed. Should someone have adrenal insufficiency, their bodies do not produce enough adrenal hormones. These hormones include testosterone, cortisol, norepinenephrine and epinephrine. People often feel weak, have low blood pressure, feel depressed and may not be able to respond to stress. When severe, adrenal failure can result which is life threatening.

Epinephrine and norepinephrine are the major vasoactive substances produced...or the chemicals that maintain or increase blood pressure. If a person is subjected to high temperatures, this results in vasodilation of the skin...or a condition were the blood vessels enlarge in the skin and therefore lowers blood pressure. In order to maintain normal blood pressure, the body has regulatory mechanisms, receptors in the aorta and carotid arteries that can detect low blood pressure, so that more epinephrine and norepinephrine are released. These substances will then increase and maintain a normal blood pressure. In patients with Lyme Disease, these regulatory mechanisms may be impaired and thus, the individual may not be able to maintain proper blood pressure. With low blood pressure, the individual will often note a rapid weak heart beat, weakness, dizziness, and if severe enough, shock. Shock being a state where there is insufficient blood pressure to maintain adequate blood flow to vital organs. Shock may be preceded by heat exhaustion, a condition where a person may have an elevated temperature, low blood pressure, dehydration and mental confusion.

Peripheral neuropathy is not an uncommon problem in Lyme Disease. People with peripheral neuropathy have some degree of weakness and numbness of their lower extremities or hands. When present and if of a longstanding nature, it may also coexist with automonic dysfunction as the autonomic nervous system is part of the peripheral nervous system. The autonomic nervous system has receptors located in the aorta (largest blood vessel in the body) and the carotid arteries (the arteries supplying the brain). If these sensors are damaged or impaired as they may be in Lyme Disease, then the body cannot react normally to a low blood pressure event. Add to that possible adrenal impairment, and maintaining proper blood pressure becomes even more difficult.

It is a known fact that adrenal insufficiency is a "relative" contraindication to using a sauna. A "relative" contraindication means that if a sauna is used, it should only be used with the understanding that danger exists and that a physician should be consulted before using this therapy. Similiarly, people that have known Lyme Disease may be at increased risk of dehydration and heat exhaustion as their bodies regulatory mechanisms do not always function as well as others.

Understanding how the body works and how Lyme Disease impacts so many different organ systems can aid us in taking necessary health safety precautions. In particular, people with Lyme Disease may need to pay particular attention to heat exposure in all of it's forms be it a hot day, sauna therapy, jogging, or the use of a hot tub.

Should one feel that they may be particularly sensitive to heat exposure, further evaluation by a competent physician knowledgable of Lyme Disease would be most helpful.

cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great article/read Rhianna. Thanks for posting!

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot handle heat and humidity, nor can I handle cold weather. I think I am better able to control my symptoms though when it is cold though by taking a hot baking soda bath. In warm weather, these hot baking soda baths aren't as effective.

Apparently though you don't always have to have fibers coming out of your skin to have Morgellons, and I just posted an article in another thread about the possibility that I have Morgellons.

I have a tree outside my front door with crown gall disease, so I know the bacteria is present in the soil here and I've been exposed to the agrobacteria thought to cause Morgellons.

The tree looks like it is doing well though,and I'm too scared to dig it up. What do I do? The tree is the picture of health, other than for the tumor.

I used to do a lot of gardening before I became disabled with this.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement