LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tick Borne Diagnostic Laboratory for Cats and dogs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tick Borne Diagnostic Laboratory for Cats and dogs
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is not human medical, but still medical so I am posting it here.

I found this lab online. I have no experience with it but thought some may be interested in it.

If anyone uses this lab could you keep me posted for future reference? Thanks

http://cvm.ncsu.edu/vth/ticklab.html

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for pet lover's!

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How come vets in my state believe in TBD's, but medical docs dont?

I believe my dog has had a TBD for years, as she has always acted just like i felt. Has anyone successfullly treated their pet for borreliosis or bart?

did your pet herx??

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had my two mini-dachshunds tested for everything. I had the vet test for Lyme, babs, Ehrlichia and Rocky Spotted Mtn Fever...all came back negative (if the vet labs are reliable).

I had them tested for Bart and Babs at Fry and both came back positive for Bart (sigh). My Male pup came back positive for some unidentifiable organism/parasite (not babs). So I'm going to show my Vet and LLMD but I'm just not sure WHAT to do.

I wish there was a place that was vet/TBD savvy...perhaps this place MerryGirl has posted?

My dogs have NO symptoms of any TBD's but I just finished Bart treatment and IF it can be passed through saliva, I do not want to get it again!! I probably gave it to my dogs' in the first place because I think I've had Bart since I was a child.

It's just unrealistic to not have licking going on with slurping adorable dogs. Merrygirl is a vet tech so I called upon her for help with this situation.

I really don't know what to do...maybe a month's worth of an abx that would hit Bart but then I just KNOW my vet won't know anything about probiotics and that worries me.

Definitely a quandary and I would appreciate anyone else's experience with this kind of situation. Merrygirl has been a great help!

Thanks,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind words!! [Smile]

In general pet testing seems to be more reliable. This lab looks really interesting though. Maybe they could identify the parasite seen on your pups smear? Just a thought,

Not sure pets herx, although I bet they do, They generally feel better a few days on meds. As far as probiotics goes I would feed my dog plain yogurt. That is just me. I have given my dog acidophillus before. A vet would probably look at you funny when you mention it.

Unfortunately I have not been back to work since getting sick so I havent been able to do a lot of talking with docs and watch patients.

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Melissa,

I'm going to contact this lab. They really seem to be on the ball regarding pets and TBD's. (wish I had ALL of their tests done there.)

At least they could review the Fry labs, guide me and let me know if I need to retest for the other stuff.

It's kind of like blendind a vet and an LLMD together. Perfect!

Thanks so much!!

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

buckfever
Member # 9876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckfever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://blackgsd.googlepages.com/home

I've found this site to be very helpful.

Posts: 97 | From West Chester ,Pa. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Thanks for the info, guys! I called the place that merrygirl posted and they seem VERY well-versed in TBD's in dogs and cats.

You can print out the form of exactly what they need for testing, bring it to your vet and then ship the bloodwork off to them.

This is ALL they do at this lab so they seem very specialized and knowledgeable. They also know how to treat all of the diseases if discovered.

The only thing the woman did NOT know (who I spoke with) is if Bart can be transmitted through saliva. She said they simply do not know that...yet but are working on it. At least she was honest.

Being an animal lover, I'm thrilled to have this resource. Thanks, again, Melissa!

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement