LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Husband has + ANA.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Husband has + ANA.....
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just found out my husband's ANA was positive. He's been having problems with kidney stones and arthritis. Can a + ANA indicate Lyme?

Mine was positive at the beginning of last year before I got dx but now it's negative.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh oh. I think it CAN!

I once had a positive ANA also. Now it's normal following Lyme treatment.

Better get him tested!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magaro
Member # 12948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magaro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had very very low ANA and RA before treatement and now that are normal.
Posts: 48 | From New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtine
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's ANA? gosh... i don't even know if i've gotten this test.
Posts: 127 | From Toronto, Ontario Canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anti-nuclear antibodies--found in lupus
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Positive ANA is very common, they will say he has Lupus, but it's probably Lyme. I was told I had Lupus because of my + ANA and its Lyme making your immune system go haywire!
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I brought him and my daughter to my LLMD yesterday. She ordered tests for them but we haven't gone yet b/c the lab was closed when we got out of the appt. and it's a little bit of a hike to the lab for us.

They will be going SOON though. I've been trying to tell him he has Lyme but he gets mad. He only went to the LLMD to make me happy.

The tests will be through Quest which I know aren't the best but they'll at least be covered by insurance.

My LLMD doesn't go much by the tests anyway b/c she prefers to make a clinical dx based on symptoms.

I know though that if it's negative he'll refuse treatment. [Frown]

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Laura,

You can lead the horse to water......

Ask him to ask himself which may be worse?

Lupus or Lyme?

Prior to that answer remind him that steroids can cause irreperable damage to people with Lyme.

Maybe a trial run of antibiotics wouldn't hurt prior to "accepting" a Lupus diagnoisis.

Sorry. My husband swore his testosterone level was low.

It was Lyme. He isn't treating at the time. [shake]

I am afraid that I will be pushing him around in a wheelchair in a few years.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

I've had a + ANA for 14 yrs and was dx with Lupus last year and lyme last Aug.

Keep in mind, a + ANA doesn't mean illness. Many people have a + ANA with no illness.

I have a very high tiler but am sick.

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has a positive ANA, as well.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too, mine recently turned positive, and I have almost every symptom of lupus.

My LLMD feels lyme is behind the scenes in lupus anyway, well actually I think he thinks lupus IS lyme disease.

But I'm thinking i should probably get someone to write it down anyway, as it might possibly help my disability claim????

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tracy, remember on SSDI, it's NOT OUR ILLNESSES WE HAVE,

it's how they affect us these ways:

can't sit, walk, lift, use your fingers for things, lift, bend, crawl, carry, etc.

that's where the emphasis is and for HOW LONG you can do it? 1 -2 hrs. 3-4 hrs. 6-8 hrs.
30 min.

i've had 3 positive ANAs for lupus; never treated, and 1 dr. told me i had lupus walking out of room with NO INFO AT ALL! [cussing]

von
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for von     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a positive ANA before my lyme diag. They said I had lupus. I know lupus does not go away, and neither does a positive ANA.......
But funny thing, with lyme treatment my positive ANA went away.

I got lyme from a bite. My husband got it awhile later, I think from me. I have written about it here on this board search 'transmission
husband'
Sorry you are going through this.
Von

My Doc believes the people who get lyme through sexual trasmission don't get as sick, and often go un noticed. They also tend to have higher lyme antibioties..... go figure.

I have heard that this is because their body does a better job at recognizing the bacteria. (no tick saliva with immune supressor)

Who knows

Posts: 258 | From Washington State | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have a + ANA and a + RF and HIGH CRP

So in my case I have had the "Lupus" diagnosis as well as MANY other "Autoimmune" DX's

Here is my take on this and many people (including so very well respected scientists) believe that all "autoimmune" disease have an infectious etiology, weather it be Borellia, or some other bacteria.

If you type in "Lida Mattman" into google, you will see how she has cultured Borellia in it's L-form from people with Lupus, MS, Parkinsons, ETC.....

These "Autoimmine" illnesses are of "UNKNOWN" etiology....well SOMETHING has to be causing them, and SOMETHING has to be drving the immune system to work so hard....whats else but an infection would cause the immune system to start going haywire.

In fact the immune system is not attacking itslef...c;mon why would it do that? We have VERY intelligent bodies. What is happening is that when bacteria are not in it's classic form and turn into a cyst or L-form...As WE KNOW Lyme does. The immune system cannot find it, but it senses there is some foreign object in the body, so it starts going after things (tisues, bones, muscle etc..) to try and find this foreign body.

So I dont believe our immune systems are actually attacking ourselves, but actually trying to attack what is NOT supposed to be there in the first place. I think the "Autoimmune" theory is WAY outdated. They need to find better ways (like Lida Mattman) to culture this type of bacteria.

I mean C'mon, how MANY people with these DX's end up having Lyme????? OR even some other infection???? Think about it.....

I have been researching my but off since I became ill. Why would ANY previously healthy person wake up oneday in a heap of attacking antibodies and crazy immune system?? Well an Infection makes damn good sense.

I hope this helps, and look up Lida Mattman, you will be blown away.

[Smile]

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Positive antinuclear antibodies AND lyme

They go togheter like milk and cookies. [Wink]

The longer you have lyme the higher the ANA because the spirochetes use our dna as shields as not to be noticed then when the immune system recognises the invader it makes antibodies to attack the same spirochete that is using our dna which means our body made antibodies that attack the protiens it recognises as in the invaders which is our own DNA now in the spirochete.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunnyfluff
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14117

Icon 9 posted      Profile for bunnyfluff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had positive ANA in the beginning, and my rheumy prescribed steroids b/c I was having other auto-immune problems. It is amazing that I am not dead, but I was on steroids for a year or so. It allowed my Lyme to grow out of control, and I am sure I am much sicker today b/c of it. My LLMD said that the ONLY reason I am probably not dead is b/c I happen to be taking Abx at the same time for acne.

God works in mysterious ways. [Big Grin]

I honestly think it is the first line of defense for a lot of ppl w/Lyme. Do NOT let them treat w/ steroids. Ducks love to give those out for everything.

But I would say chances are good it could be Lyme. That was my case.

Bunny

--------------------
4 strong winds that blow lonely,
7 seas that run high.

All those things that don't change
Come what may.

Posts: 103 | From Dallas/ Fort Worth. TX | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atheana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atheana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Lauraj,
Within two months I was tested with Labcorp (postive),Quest(negative) and Igenex,POSITIVE with 7 bands.
It is so frustrating.
My boyfriend just did Lyme test with Igenex,waiting on results. He has no symptoms,but I hear you can get it from sperm.So why should I be on IV if he has it in his sperm.
So needless to say he did the best test(I feel) out there.
Hope it all works out with you.
Atheana

Posts: 196 | From from a far | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how coincidentally they are finding that antibiotics help with Rhuematoid Arthritis and Multiple Sclerosis....

No coincidence there, methinks. [Big Grin]

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement