LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is Cipro effective against Bart?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Cipro effective against Bart?
thomasx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thomasx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you been effectively treated with Cipro for Bart/BLO? If so, dosage? THanks!
Posts: 386 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure. But I was on Cipro for a kidney infection back in 2001, and I had a major breakthrough in my derealization. It was like I was "here" for the first time in years. I have heard that bart can cause some funny cognitive stuff, so maybe. All I know is that I loved it! If you get any extra, send it my way... kidding.

Good luck. mazou

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was put on Cipro for another infection and my cognitive and GI symptoms improved.

I got clinically diangosed with bart and started taking Levaquin. I asked why Levaquin when Cipro worked so well. LLMD said it's because Levaquin is much stronger.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bernieb4
Member # 14654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bernieb4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did two months high dosage before I knew it was bart -- it didn't help in the least.
Posts: 98 | From WI | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No two patients are a like and sadly, we all have different symptoms depending on the strains and co infections.

For some, Cipro has been a wonder med. For others, it hasn't worked. I guess sadly you won't know which camp you fall in until you try it.

I was on Cipro first and in hindsight, I think I was herxing up a storm with it but also noticed that many of my symptoms were disappearing, but since the doctor wasn't sure, he took me off that and we went over to babs treatment.

But now I'm back over on Levaquin which is in the same drug category and so far, so good. Can't say for sure where it's going, but I do know it's doing SOMETHING.

I know when I first was put on Cipro, I was scared silly since I had read all the horror stories, but when you get down to it, BARTONELLA is a horror story, so if there was a way to get rid of it, I had to move forward with it.

To me, I would give it positive reviews since I do think it was one of my major turning point drugs although I seriously herxed badly on it. But that was maybe just me.

As I said, no two people will respond exactly the same on any of the meds we have to take. Good luck.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cipro will treat Bart. It is also effective against all of the mycoplasma species.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I've taken just about all the abx, though not long-term.

2 months ago I had what might have been a kidney infection and was put on Cipro for 10 days. For some time in the mornings, I could think . . . my brain seemed clearer.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomasx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thomasx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the Cipro recommended dose/duration?
Posts: 386 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cipro pulled me back from the edge of death. It helped me with serious bartonella symptoms (mainly horrible cardiac problems that ran my life for 3 years prior to that) when nothing else did.

I had to stop taking it after about 7 weeks due to tendon problems, but my tendons are okay now. I had some relapse after stopping, but not complete relapse, and now I'm on Rifampin.

I will always be grateful for Cipro. It saved my life.

Perhaps if I had been given the option, I would have gone right for Levaquin then, since I probably would have had tendon problems either way and Levaquin might have been better, but I'm still a fan of Cipro.

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mazou:
I am not sure. But I was on Cipro for a kidney infection back in 2001, and I had a major breakthrough in my derealization. It was like I was "here" for the first time in years. I have heard that bart can cause some funny cognitive stuff, so maybe. All I know is that I loved it! If you get any extra, send it my way... kidding.

Good luck. mazou

Wow, same here. I took it for another infection and at the time I didn't know I had lyme, and I felt the best I felt in years when I was on it.
And the way you describe it "feeling here". That is exactly how I would describe it

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
500 mg x2 per day

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six -- did Cipro make your herx or just improve?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cameronb
Member # 12240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cameronb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i echo cd57's question? did you herx before you started feeling better?
Posts: 52 | From Atlanta, Ga | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement