LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HBOT experiences?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HBOT experiences?
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started a makeshift but safe chamber in my home for about 150.00. MILD only to keep it safe. 4.5 psi, may sneak in the 7.5 psi alound overseas. HAHA

DID you detox so good that you didnt have to take all that greencrapp

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HBOT EXPERINCES?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen many people personally go through HBOT. Not one of them felt it was worth the time, effort, and money. Not one of them had gains that persisted. Not one of them indicated that they would do it again.

It may be that if you do it ongoing there could be some benefit, but with the "n" dives and then stopping approach, it seems to be only temporarily helpful.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is Hbot? Hypoberic chamber?

Thanks,
CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, James, just do a search on this site there are many posts.

Secondly Scott I can personally attest so please put that in your summary that hbot has saved my life, and that I use it regularly at home (every week to ten days) and could not survive without it. Julia (Beojr) would say the same and has personally seen many lymies do really well besides using it herself to get much better. WildCondor posts frequently how much it helped her. Noodlydoo uses his home chamber regularly and starts to relapse without it and has posted that on here. Your summary is very slanted and I don't know why, it is a powerful and valuable sometimes lifesaving therapy it's just expensive and that's an issue.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,

James, please be very careful with the home unit especially if you built it yourself.

There was recently a case where a child was placed in a mild chamber and the parent did not notice that there was smoke going into the chamber from the compressor.

The child suffered smoke inhalation, and had to be treated at a hyperbaric facility. Ironic...

Please make sure that you have a smoke detector in the room that you are using your chamber...

As for the benefits, I have always said that HBOT will ameliorate your symptoms and give you a better quality of life for most cases.

There have been folks that have not responded as well or did not maintain their gains. The key word being maintain.

If you choose to under go HBOT. Have yourself check for heavy metal, high virals and especially Dx and treat co infections.

The problem with HBOT is not that it does not work. It is the cost, time and effort. As not everyone lives nearby a chamber facility that will treat lyme...

I have spoken with many LLMD and patients alike. They all agree on this. HBOT is effective but unattainable for many unfortuneitly.

Finally, Lyme is a very difficult disease to treat IHMO, each person has to find the treatment modalitie that works for their system.

As in many cases, Abx will ameliorate your symptoms for a while, but for the most part everyone here has relapsed at least once. Oxygen is a very safe drug.

For the majority of cases, boosts your immunne system, increases stamina and has healing qualities.

I hope this helps,

Blessings,

Julia

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barksplinter
Member # 13249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barksplinter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told by my LLMD that HBOT can be very helpful to top off Borrelia treatment.

HOWEVER... she cautioned Babesia THRIVES in Oxygen rich enviroments. It lives inside the Red Blood Cells after all... the Oxygen carrier in our bodies. Babesia MUST be dealt with first.

Might explain why some people do well and others not so much.

The long term lower pressures might make more sense than the high pressures.... or a month of high pressures followed by long term low pressure.

What is the problem with HBOT and heavy metals?

Posts: 70 | From AZ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bark,

Like the name,

There is not a problem with heavy metals and HBOT. As a matter of fact many pediatricians who treat autism often combine chelation with HBOT. That is if the child can take the stress. That is created by detoxing two fold...

HBOT is known to chelate metals as well. It is not the most cost effective approach. But probably the least toxic...

If you know that you are heavy metal toxic you can address this issue the same goes for co infections and you will acheive greater results.

I have treated several clients at lower pressure. Especially if they are so toxic that they can not tolerate a "herx" die off.

At lower pressures it would act on the immunne system and on fatigue.While still carrying abx across the BBB...

I hope this helps,

Kindly,

Julia [hi]

--------------------

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi barksplinter, how is your wife doing these days?

I have babesia and it was not made worse by hbot. Julia and I have posted on this before--there is at least one strain that seems to be aerobic, but many others are not. My ex-hyperbaric doc learned microscopy and tested her and her daughter's blood (both had lyme and babesia) before and after hbot at 2.4 ata for 90 minutes. She said there was a lot of dead babesia floating in the extracellular space after treatment. Meaning that it left the blood cells in panic and died! However, it was in no way a permanent cure for babesia.

It is probably individual, but overall, remember that hbot also helps all the tissues, which are often hypoxic and inflamed from chronic lyme, and it boosts immune function and increases stem cell production (study from U Penn), thus in many ways is overall beneficial to fighting bugs.

Nothing is a perfect cure but I was just pointing out Scott's view is incorrect. Its just as Julia said, part of the arsenal and unfortunately expensive, and also time consuming unless you have your own chamber or a facility very close by.

You just have to really be proactive and disciplined to treat this DD. Look what Julia did to get better--figured out her own regimen of bicillin shots and learned hbot and bought her own chamber! Meanwhile I got my own mild chamber, not as effective as a deep dive but still a godsend. If your wife is still doing better from low dose IV rocephin I recommend the low dose mild chamber for her. I think you were considering it, and I bet there are practitioners in Phoenix area with chambers.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am interested in learning more about HBOT. Where can I find information? Do they have these in Massachusetts? How costly is it??? what illnesses does this work for???

Thanks Guys! [Smile]

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shandy.. Try www.wildcondor.com

or www.wildcondor.com/lymelinks.html for more info

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Please folks,

Do not try building a chamber. Unless you have some expertise in pressure vessels you will be setting yourself up for a short life.

Even a mild chamber can be dangerous if used improperly. Electrical items should not be used inside any type of chamber period.

Johnny, Notice that this article is posted on a satire page. There will be nothing funny if something where to go wrong..

Anyone that is interested in HBOT can send me a PM and I will send you as much information as I can.

Blessings to all of you,

Julia

--------------------

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once upon a time, having had all six co-infections, including Babesia, I definitely got worse with every dive I took. I will never climb into any of these boats again, ever.

Dr. K.'s repeated statements when asked: half the people get worse, half get better. Lastingly?? is the question. Still have to hear a yes to this. Coasting along and still semi-ill does not count. In that regard, I agree totally with Scott. So does Dr. K.

I encourage you to check out the infrared thread. It's the most effective treatment I have run into in 12 years. Adding up all the expenses over the years, including the agony, Bionic 880 is a homerun. People are really getting well in a very short time - and staying well.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scrambled_brain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scrambled_brain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No cure, but mild Hbot (the home-type chambers) sent me up to a new and better plateau. It seems to be a treatment that you have to keep doing at least weekly or biweekly. No doubt, I still struggle a great deal, but my life would be much worse without mild Hbot. Very $$, but not compared to full Hbot.

When it comes to alternative treatments, I don't like the overgeneralizing about treatments. What may be a disaster for one, could be a godsend for someone else. I like individuals just telling their experiences.

Posts: 375 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BOEJR:
Notice that this article is posted on a satire page. There will be nothing funny if something where to go wrong..

Amen!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scrambled_brain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scrambled_brain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting someone build a chamber, I meant the commercial mild chambers that one can put in their home or a doctor's office. Last time I checked these started at about $12K, I think. I don't have $12k upfront, so I do them at a doctor's office.
Posts: 375 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

"When it comes to alternative treatments, I don't like the overgeneralizing about treatments. What may be a disaster for one, could be a godsend for someone else. I like individuals just telling their experiences."

I agree completely. We all have different genes, different toxin loads, different detox abilities, different infectious loads, and if something makes us better, then by all means talk about it honestly, and if it makes us worse, then by all means talk about it honestly. If a treatment harmed you, in particular, please let us know.

I think hbot is invaluable. I'll be getting in my chamber today.

BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Johnny do you mean a Mild chamber? I do run into them from time to time but I don't buy or sell anything.

However if I do hear of a cheap one I will let you know,

[hi]

Julia

--------------------

Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have posted this before. My husband did HBOT before we knew he had Lyme/Babesia. He was on an upswing at the time and I thought the HBOT would help knock out what I thought was systemic candida from taking prednisone for his supposed autoimmune disease.

Well, the HBOT threw him into a serious relapse. Of course, there were other extenuating circumstances such as: weaning from prednisone and a low carb anti-yeast diet which also didn't help.

Perhaps if he had done antibiotics prior? Treated babesia? Was on antibiotics at the time? Detox herbs?

All, I know is, I really, really hoped the HBOT was going to be something that was going to fix him and I ended up watching him go through a major decline. No words to describe that feeling.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Johnny PM sent [hi]

--------------------

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Johnny I have a mild chamber and it pressurizes to the equivalent of about 10-11 feet below sea level. A regular chamber in a clinic is set to pressurize to the equivalent of 50 feet below, which is about 2.4 ata. The mild chamber is about 1.3 ata, a little less. I don't know what a lung diffusion problem is, but oxygen can be a bit drying to the lungs and sometimes people like to attach a water bottle and bubble it through distilled water. However if you are doing that at home need to be careful about keeping it clean and cleaning it out with h202 etc. Bubbling it through water lessens the flow rate a little, but moisturizes the oxygen.

An airplane is pressurized because you are at 35,000 feet high, and it is pressurized to the equivalent of 8000 feet above sea level. So it is really the equivalent of a hypobaric not hyperbaric chamber, ie you are in LESS pressure, the same as if you climbed an 8,000 foot mountain.

Parisa I'm sorry to hear your hubby had problems, and it could have been candida, I experienced a worsening of candida the second time I did hbot at 2.4 ata for 90 minutes daily for 2 months. It made me hungry to do that much anyway so I'd eat big meals of pasta and tuna afterwards. But candida is a facultative anaerobe meaning it can adjust to low oxygen or high oxygen conditions. If you have a candida problem and do hyperbaric you will still kill off anaerobes and leave more room for candida to grow. Plus if he was weaning off prednisone at the time I'm not sure what that would do.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement