LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » When does the patent expire on Levaquin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When does the patent expire on Levaquin?
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think someone posted here once that it would expire in 2009, but everything I pull up says no sooner than December 2010?

I only get 3 months worth of rifampin, and I'm already almost done with my first month - there's no way I'll make it that long without heavy duty meds for bart/BLO.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive only seen 2010 too tailz.

I think cipro maybe the only one in that class to have a generic, and i think one was created during that anthrax craze.

How much will your insurance cover for the Leva?

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Thanks, maybe I just remembered it wrong. I don't know why I was thinking 2009.

My insurance won't cover Levaquin at all, and it will only cover 3 months worth of rifampin. I'm not sure how that works - 3 months a year? an infection?

My insurance will cover Cipro. My problem with Cipro is I have severe (as in sharp) head pains and itchy knees when I take it. Is this an allergic reaction?

tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tailz,

I honestly don't know if what you experienced with cipro is an allergic reaction. The head pains almost sounds like a herx, but the itchy???? I'm just not a doctor so I don't know.

What I can say is that I've been on both Cipro and Levaquin and both of them have had many of the same symptoms stemming from them. I know both drugs are related.

Sometimes a patient can take one or the other, but if you are having allergic reactions to one, I've been told you should stay away from that class of drug all together, so please check with your doctor.

If it was a herx, Levaquin really can toss you for a loop. I've been on it just over three months now and I'm still not seeing the light of day from it. It's STRONG.

Good luck and perhaps if your doctor feels it's safe, he could try Cipro again since I'm sure it's better than nothing, if that is what your insurance will cover....but keep him/her posted as to how you do on it if that's the case.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

I have no idea if my reaction to Cipro was an allergic reaction or not. To be honest, the head pains felt stroke-like and were scary.

I can handle the itchy knees - it's the shooting brain pain I worry about. Any way to test for an allergy to Cipro or Levaquin?

AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must be having a Lyme day...when I looked at the ehadline I thought it said "When does the patient expire on Levaquin?"

[bonk]

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's already a generic levaquin in Mexico...apparently they don't honor patents as long as we do...I've been buying generic z packs there for years, too.

Last time I tried the Medsmex site though it was down...you'd have to find a farmacia there on line to order it from or go there yourself like we do...but we're only a few hours from the border.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cipro is simply the a younger generation.
Consider the quinolone toxicity issues before taking it. Banned in many countries now and many LLMd's are not prescribing them anymore. My LLMd still does prescribe and says that "floxing" is rare, I still choose not to use them. Some people here at Lymenet can tell you there bad experiences. Either way, I think it is good to be informed, read more here: http://tinyurl.com/562c8n

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

lol I thought it said PATIENT too. I almost didn't read this..didn't want to hear about patients expiring [Smile]
123harmony
Member # 13413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 123harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello, i'm sorry to see you have electrosensitivity. i hear that computer usage is the #1 cause for this and hope you aren't making things worse for yourself.

take care.

http://www.electrosensitivity.org/cause.htm

Posts: 31 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalysT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalysT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get cheap levofloxacin (levaquin) from overseas like I did. I got mine from India for like ~$150 for 90x500mg tablets. PM me for a source if you need one.

--------------------
"You know, the worst, meanest, nastiest, ticks in the world are politicks," - Steve Nostrum

Posts: 242 | From South NJ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement