LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Picc line question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Picc line question
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc wants me to do IV Rocephin. I'm not completely against the idea, although the idea of a picc line scares the bejeebers outta me.

I probably already know the answer to this, but gotta ask anyway.

So here's the question -

Has anyone had a picc line and gone on a camping trip?

We (hubby and I) and a slew of friends do a 2-week long camping trip every year. While I realize I won't be able to do much other than point-and-laugh and supervise, I'd still like to go.

That being said, the idea of contamination/infection has me worried and am considering not going.

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences on the subject.

Thanks.

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymejul25
Member # 9564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymejul25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a PICC line in my upper left arm for 7 weeks (was all I could tolerate), and while I have never been hiking, I personally wouldn't risk it..especially being in areas which are well-known areas for ticks.

I know people say: "well, you can't be scared of everything", but in this case, you have to protect yourself and not push the issue. That is just what I would do though.

--Julie

Posts: 26 | From Ma. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very imprtant to keep the picc line site clean.

how "roughing it" are we talking..

like in tents with no plumbing or a camper with shower/sink etc?

also if i remember correctly rocephin needs to be refrigerated.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonicbmx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonicbmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've had a PICC line in my arm for 6 months.. altho annoying, i still do more with it than the average person without one.

i am an athlete and i sweat with it daily (wrapped tightly of course). i also ride my bikes off-road in the dirt.

this may freak many of you out.. but i've gone a far as to ride bmx track with it twice! yes, jumps and all.. i have skills and pro status.

if i were you, i'd be more concerned with another tick bite while in the woods for 2 wks.

a PICC line is NOT the end of the world.. so go about your life.
--
sonicbmx

--------------------
"The hell with Drs.. we have each other!"
My story began here:

http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=16210
http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=7833
http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=6873

Posts: 127 | From Van Nuys, CA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julie,
I'm not too concerned about getting ticks there. I've done the camping trip for 11 years and never been bitten (to my knowledge).

I stand a better chance of getting another tick bite in my own back yard. Got bitten twice at home last year alone.

----------------

Azure,
It's sort of half-way between the two. It's in tents, but we have hot water showers in camp.

There's an RN who camps across from us who might be able to check on me (with the appropriate bribes, of course). [Wink]

There's also a medical station on site that's manned by EMTs and other trained medical personnel.

The local hospital is supposed to be extremely good and isn't too far away.

I'm thinking if anything goes wrong, at least I'll be able to get help... fast. Just wonder if the risk is worth it.

I was also wondering if the Rocephin has to be refrigerated. If so, I could possibly make arrangements with the campground office ahead of time to store it up there.

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Sonic,
Thanks! I really want to go to this camping trip.

Bottom line, if the doc says don't go, I won't. Until then, I'm going to try to figure out how to organize/deal with it while I'm there.

--------------------

kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went camping while I had my PICC line.

It was my kind of camping though. Heated/air conditioned cabin. It had running water, bathroom and full kitchen.

You really need to make sure that you keep it clean. Also, is there a fridge there? My party balls of Rocephin had to be stored in the fridge.

Not to scare you but...EMT's and other emergency personnel really don't know anything about PICC lines. Some hopsitals don't either if they aren't a facility that inserts them. My local hospital knows nothing about treating them. Their only answer if you think there is a problem is to pull it out.

So, while it is possible to do vacations with it I wouldn't recommend it if it's right in the beginning of your treatment. That is when the most problems usually occur.

Good luck to you..kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a PICC for 3 months and personally, I would not risk camping in a tent with a PICC line in.

They have to be kept meticulously clean to prevent infection.....I don't know, me, I just would not take the risk.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My rocephin and supplies were delivered each week. So a two week trip was out of the question.

Rocephin does have a limited shelf life-and as stated, it needs to be refrigerated.

Is there any way you can go camping part of the time? and have you run into any gliches along the way- like the most upsetting even for me was when the cap on the end of the extension broke-

I spewed blood all over a friends couch until I realized I could crimp the tube to stop it. I also had to go home because the nurse had to make a middle of the night trip to change the tubing .

I would want to go camping-if that were my thing-but I would be really prepared for any emergency.

I did travel with my picc line, but never went camping, and never for 2 weeks. Only weekends.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had my PICC in for almost 3 months, and like the PP said, I try not to let it keep me from doing anything. I still manage my yoga every morning.

That said, remember that this is a tube inserted in an open wound that runs to your heart. Keeping it clean is the most important thing to consider. I would be concerned over 2 things: keeping the rocephin cold, and the possibility of a dressing change in austere conditions. I get nervous about dressing changes in my dusty living room, so I can't imagine doing a dressing change in a tent.

Would it be possible to still go camping, provided you were able to make arrangements for refrigeration of the syringes, for a shorter time.

Good luck!

Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Thanks all! [Smile]

Decision has been reached. I'm getting the picc line AND going on the camping trip.

This is why:

1. I was fortunate enough to chat online with a gal who's done the same event with a picc line and she was fine. I think I just needed to know it could be done. Thank you, Jill!

2. There's a gal who camps across the way from us. She's an RN who's very familiar with piccs and all resultant problems/complications. She's agreed to keep an eye on me, just in case.

3. Just up the hill, there's a group of EMTs we know who are also willing to keep an eye on me.

4. The first aid station has a fridge for medications.

5. By the time of the camping trip, I'll have had the picc for almost 2 months and should have the hang of it by then.

6. Like I said above, I stand more of a chance of getting reinfected in my own back yard than I do out there.

7. This disease has already taken too much away from me and I'll be danged if I'm going to let it stifle my life any further.

Life is a risk. Why deny myself something I'd really enjoy only to be hit by a bus tomorrow? Not that I expect to get hit by a bus, but you know what I mean.

This may not be the wisest decision I've ever made. Still, it's an informed decision and I'm doing what I need to do in order to get done what I want to get done. (ramble much?)

Thanks again for all your input. [Smile]

--------------------

Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[woohoo]

So glad it is all working out for you.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement