LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sound sensitives

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound sensitives
pnggirl
Member # 5391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pnggirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone give me some information on natural approaches to dealing with sound sensitivities?

Thanks!

Posts: 32 | From Nashville, TN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

You might like to refer to this research thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links

=====================================

Research on this area can also be found through the CFIDS Association. You can find that with a search.
=====================================

Also, I see you are relatively new here. I hope someone "welcomed" you - I'm not very good at that part - but be sure to see the NEWBIE LINKS by Tree Patrol.

======================================
======================================

Hyperacusis is so surprising (who would've thought?!) and can be either a slight annoyance or create the need to go running for the hills. This is one of my major challenges, so please pardon the shotgun approach here. you can print it out and just see what calls to you.

First, is your blood sugar within normal limits? Fluctuations either direction can affect the ears in many ways.

In light of the hormone abstract in posts that follow this one,
formulas to help nourish the adrenals might help. Someone who is severely adrenal deficient will have major sensitivities from sound and light. And lyme has a major effect on the HPA - hypothalamus/adrenal/pituitary axis.

Herbs that help nourish the adrenal function include ashwagandha, cordyceps, Siberian Ginseng (not regular ginseng as it may be too stimulating). Rhodiola may help, but start low dose as it can be a little stimulating for some.

Magnesium helps with providing some energy for ATP and mitochrondrial function, our little cells' batteries, so to speak.
(see my note about bartonella and magesium elsewhere)

At night, you might try skullcap (scullcap) tincture. Be sure to get good sleep if you can. Nerves need rest to heal. And, for now, avoiding ear phones, especially ear buds, will help the tender ear nerves to settle down.

In general, AVOID anything that says it will "BOOST" your energy.
You want support -not a boost that will drop you later.

As hyperacusis can be a result of a depleted body, be sure you get proper nutrition. In a diminished state, aerobic exercise may be too much for the body to support. See how you feel with walking, though.

Gentle movement programs such as yoga, Tai Chi or QiGong helps circulation, balance and is both calming and strengthening and can open up "blockages" of tight muscles that may be straining to the neck and circulation to the ears and brain.

Anything to calm down the NMDA receptors. MAGNESIUM is the best. It calms nerves and it detoxifies, too. Calcium and zinc, too. Actually, Magnesium Glycinate or Citrate really help me.

Have you been dx with bartonella, too? If so, talk to your doctor about how much magnesium you should take.

Of course, when the infections clear, many find such symptoms clear, too. So be sure you are treating the infection(s).

In my own experience, I've not succeeded at all - probably due to not really addressing the infections. I have no doctors and do the best on my own, but I've not succeeded in reducing hyperacusis by much - nor with other symptoms. So, be sure you have adequate coverage in both anti-infective and supportive measures.

Also vital are measures to support the liver and get out the toxins from the infections, meds, and spent food. Milk Thistle is just one herb to help support the liver. There are many, many more. Be sure to have at least one bowel movement a day.

Be sure there is not a trace of aspartame/nutrasweet/Equal in your diet - check cough drops, gum, toothpaste, too.

MSG - by any name is to be avoided as it, too, raises the NMDAs by neurotoxicity. You can google for names of MSG. It is in many canned tunas. However, tuna should be avoided as it is high in mercury (and mercury and other heavy metals contribute to hyperacusis, too).

Certain Omega oils, incl. certified mercury-free fish oils (cod, salmon, krill) are essential. Eating WILD salmon helps me. You can google for a list of mercury-free or low mercury fish.

Depending upon HOW sensitive you are, you might see the link on SCD - if your own voice is too loud or your own footsteps thump in your ears.

Good luck - I hope the colors of this early summer are wonderful in your neighborhood.

-

Ohhh, my parents used to go on vacations to French Lick, IND. to a sort of casual resort in the '60's, maybe the 70's. I've not thought of that in a long time. I most recall the Red Geranium at a Shaker village, but don't think that's at French Lick.

-

[ 20. May 2008, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Turmeric, more specifically, its stronger componet, Curcumin, might offer some help as in both detox and to lower the excitatory NMDA receptors.

This is the key term of the abstract below " . . . the effect of curcumin against glutamate excitotoxicity. . ." Glutamate excitotoxicity can cause hyperacusis and tinnitus. It is what aspartame and MSG can cause.

Over stimulation of any kind can also have similar effects in those with chronic illness. Therefore, this research holds promise.

We would risk nothing to add turmeric to our meals. I just finished a book from Amazon that was all about turmeric - it is anti-inflammatory, too. Nice.

-------------------

From PubMed ( home: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez )

http://tinyurl.com/4rbwkq

Brain Res. 2008 May 19;1210:84-91. Epub 2008 Apr 16.
Links

Curcumin protects against glutamate excitotoxicity in rat cerebral cortical neurons by increasing brain-derived neurotrophic factor level and activating TrkB.

Wang R, Li YB, Li YH, Xu Y, Wu HL, Li XJ.

Department of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medical Sciences and State Key Laboratory of Natural and Biomimetic Drugs, Peking University, Beijing 100083, PR China.

Curcumin is a major active component isolated from Curcuma longa. Previously, we have reported its significant antidepressant effect. However, the mechanisms underlying the antidepressant effects are still obscure.

In the present study, we explored the effect of curcumin against glutamate excitotoxicity, mainly focusing on the neuroprotective effects of curcumin on the expression of Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF), which is deeply involved in the etiology and treatment of depression.

Exposure of rat cortical neurons to 10 muM glutamate for 24 h caused a significant decrease in BDNF level, accompanied with reduced cell viability and enhanced cell apoptosis.

. . .

Taken together, these results suggest that the neuroprotective effect of curcumin might be mediated via BDNF/TrkB signaling pathway.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Hyperacusis - 356 abstracts

----------------------------------

http://tinyurl.com/4hcjkg (From PubMed)

Neuroscience. 2008 Mar 15. [Epub ahead of print]
Links

Hormones and the auditory system: A review of physiology and pathophysiology.

Al-Mana D, Ceranic B, Djahanbakhch O, Luxon LM.

Department of Neuro-Otology, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK; Academic Unit of Audiological Medicine, University College London, Institute of Child Health, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK.

This review explores the potential role of hormones in modulating the auditory function.

The review describes four groups of hormones (the hormones of the circadian cycle, reproduction, stress response and the fluid and electrolyte balance), their physiological variations, interactions, as well as the physiological basis for their effect on the auditory system.

Possible contribution of hormones to pathophysiology of auditory dysfunctions, including hyperacusis, tinnitus, Meni�re's disease and pre-menstrual auditory dysfunction, has also been discussed.

PMID: 18440718 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

-

pnggirl
Member # 5391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pnggirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great ideas. And the warm welcome. I have been on Lymenet before, but it's been a long time.

I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions because I am writing this for someone else who doesn't have computer access right now. I'll pass your advice on to her.

Posts: 32 | From Nashville, TN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
girl, check your privates messages in my profile; i sent you my newbie package; i have info in there and posts.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back, pnggirl!

Systemic yeast can also cause hyperacussis!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement