LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » my left arm and hand is going numb and it's starting to SCARE me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: my left arm and hand is going numb and it's starting to SCARE me
lymielauren28
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It started last night. I was lying in bed and my left arm started going numb and tingly.

I tried to massage it out but couldn't.

I finally fell asleep and honestly didn't think about it at all today - until about thirty minutes ago when it started doing it again!

I've had almost every symptom of lyme - I have never had this before.

It's really bad, like when you fall asleep on your arm and wake up and have to "shake it out" to get the blood back in it.

I also have this feeling of pressure in it - like when your getting your blood pressure taken.

Should I go to the doctor? In the back of my mind I'm thinking stroke or heart attack - but I'm only 28!

Is this just another wierd manifestation of lyme?

Anybody ever had this?

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
first thing first...

calm down....take deep slow breaths through the nose and breath out the mouth twice as long as you breathed in...

now...yes it is a symptom, i have had many times!!!!

BUT

that doesnt mean that is what you have going on either!!!

do you have other symptoms?

back pain - back pain coming around to front - chest pain - shortness of breath - anything else????

if you feel you should go to the er - then go! its not worth waiting around for if you think you should but either way, try to remain as calm as you possibly can

if you start having major chest pains i have heard that coughing as hard as you possibly can may kick it back for a while - but i understood that you have to cough really hard and over and over i dont know how true it is, but i can say if i am in that position i will personally take

a baby asprin, cough my brains out if i can the whole way to the er, just in case!!!!!

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about a bad disc in the neck?? Any whiplashes in the past? Lyme could be affecting your discs.

cj has some good advice there too!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive had the symptoms you describe both arms. Feels like a tourniquet too tight on too long. Sometimes got achey too. It's not a good feeling.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be a disk - I don't know - I don't have any pain - just numb and tingly.

AND in the last few minutes the other arm is starting to do it too.

I'm not dizzy or short of breath or anything.

Thank you guys so much for the fast feedback.
CJ thank you so much for your advice on taking a deep breath - I needed that.

Don't need a panic attack on top of this which is where I was headed!

I really love you guys - always there when I need you [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MBB3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MBB3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Lauren [Smile]

Yes I know this feeling all too well...it's what led to my Lyme/Bart diagnosis. I would guess it's strictly neurological and many (including my DR) consider Lyme a NEUROLOGICAL disease, even more than one that causes arthritic problems! What are YOUR current/past treatments?

Basically what you're describing is some manifestation of neuropathy - very common in Lyme/Bart.

I actually get it much worse in my feet and lower legs, however mine never go numb and I CAN shake it out or improve it by position or movement which makes me wonder if it's not partially vascular or even mechanical origin in that some 'minor' nerve damage from Lyme is causing the spine to be hyper-reactive against the sensory nerves in terms of producing sx's much like you describe.

All just points to ponder...hoping you're getting the right tx protocol and feeling better in every way soon [Smile]

Take Care, MBB3

Posts: 247 | From The Country | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is neurolyme and bart

I had that since 2005 .i used to have it in my legs but I kept working .

Than when got reinfected this time with bart ( blo) had a numbnees from head to toe.Half of my body.Than always my right arm.

This is neurolyme with the bart involved.

Are you treating bart.Do not rely on test.

I had numb and tingly over my right leg and it got worst when I had almost a stroke.

Do not want to scare you but I was at that time not treating it as I had no idea what I had.

Hypercoagulation -from the infections can decrese the blood flow.

I used to wake up with my heart skipps and both hands numb complelty and almost chocked sleeping.

I would sugeest you to see if your blood is thick and you need wobenzyme in empty stomakc and treat bart and lyme also .

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I both have this. He has it in one arm, and it goes numb for long periods of time, or over and over again many many times throughout the day.

I have a numbness, like a reduced senstation from the elbows down and ankles down. My hands and feel get very cold too.

The other day I stepped on some broken glass, and when I bent down to pull the embedded piece out of my foot there were several other pieces there I hadn't even felt.

It's weird; peripheral neuropathy. Mine has come on in the last year or two and just keeps getting worse.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ivew had his symptom twice in the past year. It lasted for about 12 hours each time and did pass. I was scared half to death by it but it did go away and is most likely just another weird symptom of Lyme.
Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is scary! Sorry you had to experience it.. but glad you didn't jump of a bridge because of it.

[Big Grin]

First we MUST say to check with your doctor to be sure the symptoms aren't heart related. Once that is determined to not be the cause...

Sometimes swelling and/or a build up of toxins or fluid can interfere with nerves.... and having swollen tissues or fluid in excess can slightly mash or crimp nerves coming from the cranial area and neck.

Kinda like a soppy wet sponge being in your body... compared to a dry one. If a wet sponge had been stuffed under your knee cap (for example)... the wet one would be more massive and would intrude on everything around it... like blood vessels, nerves, etc.

A dry one, however, would fit better and be less likely to put pressure on adjacent "things".

Sooooo..

Pressure (like the wet sponge) on the cranial nerves and those in the neck... above the pointy-out bone at the base of the neck... can negatively affect the arms... causing tingling.

Heat.. which encourages more swelling sometimes.. can make it worse in some people.

So maybe try a cold pack for a few minutes on the back of the neck, base of the skull, jaws. etc. Or a cold wet washcloth.

Ibuprofen can also reduce swelling... so that could be a thought.

If it comes and goes though... like this is seeming to do with you at this point... my first thought would be pressure on a nerve or nerve group.

For this problem.. which I have quite often... I use the chiropractors. Of course proper treatment for TBD's is essential... and may be the underlying cause...

But I'll bet you already knew that, eh?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MBB3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MBB3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tincup [Smile]

Excellent description of nerve pressure via the 'wet sponge' and pressure analogy!

I've read that Lyme/Bart can cause vasculitis of ANY of the capillaries or major arties in the body. My thought on this is that 'perhaps?' tiny capillaries might swell and put pressure on the small-fiber peripheral nerves causing pain? This might even happen vascularly in the spine or even the brain...all a laymen's hunch, but one that I've come up with how I get GREAT nerve pain relief while moving (walking, bicycle etc), meaning increased circulation might take vascular pressure off the nerves or reduce swelling????

So right about cool too! My palms can be burning (sensory) and I touch some cool glass or metal and they are instantly pain-free! Same for my feet.

So, cool or improved circulation helps this in my case, anyone else?

Take Care, MBB3

Posts: 247 | From The Country | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Whew! Seems lot's of us have this!

I have long suspected bart as I have many of the symptoms.

The doctor I've been seeing doesn't believe in treating bart seperately.

I started treatment approximately one year ago.

I did three months of zith @ 500 mg a day and pulsed flagy 3 days a wk.

I have been on mino 100 mg a day and pulsed flagyl for the past 7 months.

A week an a half ago I started malarone for babs.

Besides having most of the symp. of Bart - this is what really got me wondering:

About 5 months ago I got a kidney infection and went to my local doc - he put me on Levaquin for ten days.

The levaquin got rid of my kidney infection but that was the WORST ten days of my life.

I had anxiety through the roof and the worst depression I have ever experienced in my life.

I also had a major increase in my muscle twitching and crawling feelings.

I definately interpreted it as a herx but when I brought it up to my lyme doc he said that levaquin is neurotoxic to some people and that what I experienced was a byproduct of that and to NEVER take levaquin again.

I did question bart treatment and was told that the three months of zith would have knocked that out no question.

I did have bart as a child - I was 10.
They called it cat scratch fever at the time.

I got over it pretty quickly - but now always wonder: Was it just in the closet my whole life?

Did getting infected with lyme in my twenties bring the bart of my childhood out of the closet?

Or did I truly get over it as a child and get re-infected with bart and lyme simultaneously?

I have an appt. with a new LLMD in July - hopefully he can help me sort all this out and we can treat for Bart - which I feel in my heart needs to be done.

Tin you are crazy and hilarious and you made me laugh - again! Thank you.

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm MBB...

Interesting thought. But I have to admit that for some reason I have not grasped the actual concept (for lack of a better word) of the actual meaning of the word "vasculitis".

I put it in the same mental "problem" category as trying to learn Spanish. No matter how hard I try.. it just ain't happening.

I've looked it up, read about it multiple times.. and still my being able to picture the process of vasculitis in relationship to the body is totally lacking.

Do you... or does anyone here have the ability to give me examples that I can relate it to... like the sponge theory... so I can ... well..

Seem smarter for one thing... HA! But really ... so I can mix it into my brain and relate it to the other systems in the body?

Not knowing the concept of vasculitis is like knowing the total workings of a lawn mower.. from seat adjustment to engine repairs...

But not knowing where to put the gas in.

I'd like to absorb your theory.. and converse... so do help... please!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cjnelson:

i will personally take a baby asprin, cough my brains out if i can the whole way to the er, just in case!!!!!

to all,

our head ER EMT told our hospital educational group to take TWO ASPIRINS ... that will help immediately while you are being taken to ER by your loved ones or ambulance!

IT'S CRITICAL!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Did take a baby aspirin just in case!

--------------------

MBB3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13459

This is for Tincup [Smile]

Vasculitis? My basic understanding is that vasculitis literally means 'swelling of the the vessels'? Anyone, correct me if I am wrong? Also would assume this can affect ANY part of the body's vascular system from tiny capillaries all the way to large arteries?

So, to tie in the compression/wet sponge theory...the swollen vessels put pressure on the nerves which produce nerve pain? To my laymen's mentality, this makes sense and seems possible, especially for those like myself who's 'nerve pain' seems to be dependent on position or more importantly activity or motion.

I get relief (sometimes great, othertimes partially) by moving, or at least NOT staying sedentary such as sitting for a long time. I am guessing that maybe the swelling reduces in the vessels while the body circulates better, thus relieving pressure on the the small fiber (sensory) nerves producing the pain. Will also add I ONLY have sensory problems (burning pain) and NEVER any numbness, motor problems etc.

So, in my very roundabout way, that is my 'hunch' about vasculitis, something that is documented to be a Lyme symptom.

Take Care, MBB3

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LL...

You said..

"I got over it pretty quickly - but now always wonder: Was it just in the closet my whole life?"

If it were in my closet I'd never know either. I can't find anything in there!

Actually... good question. My thought is these infections can be present but if you live with them all the time.. do you actually know what "normal" feels like?

And would a stressed immune system let them poke out their doofy little heads long enough to make you sick sort of.. then your immune system kick them back in again?

Good thought, LL.

You said.. "Or did I truly get over it as a child and get re-infected with bart and lyme simultaneously?"

I'd make a bet many of us.. due to our lifestyle and love of the outdoors.. or PREVIOUS love of it... are exposed and re-exposed periodically. There is an older study done on forest workers that showed many of them had positive blood tests for Lyme.. but no symptoms.

They referred to that situation as "occupational exposure".

And we know Lyme can hang out and act like a silent nit not for years... and go unnoticed. But if the body gets down.. it can bite you on the butt!

Bottom line..

I have no clue what your problem is... I just like to ramble.

[Big Grin]

But maybe the LLMD can do some tests to give us all a clue? I hope so. And be sure to add your concerns to the note you take with you. But I would wait to ask these kinds of questions AFTER the test results are in.. or he will probably tell you the same thing I did!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MBB or MMB?

Yeah.. I'm with it alright! NOT!

Anyhow.. thanks for the good "picture" you formed in my brain. I actually think I am "getting it" too! So your explanation worked!

Much appreciated! And I can understand now what you mean about the movement helping the situation. Your theories sound good and plausible.

Hmmmmm.... ???

Just thought about this...

Might dandelion tea.. which reduces fluids naturally and doesn't clash with meds.... help this situation for you?

I use it when I get the swelling in the brain and other areas.. like hands and feet. I drink a couple cups a day for 2-3 days.. and it works wonders.

Either that or moving constantly? THAT would be a real trip to have to do! Ahhhhh!!!

Anyhow.. hope you get some relief and thanks again for taking time to help my mind. Not many folks would attempt that difficult job!

[lol]

PS...

I am NOT a doctor and the above is only my opinion.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

MBB3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13459

Hi Tincup [Smile]

Glad to have helped with the explanation...I actually explain things better in print than verbally (which can be embarrasing!) Just now realizing perhaps even this FACT of my life might be Lyme-related?

I'll check out the Dandelion tea! I actually don't get visible swelling in my hands/feet, but don't think you have to for vasculitis.

Again, vasculitis may/may not be the cause of my or other's nerve pain, however, IF the problem was SOLELY neurological (like in 'diabetic' neuropathy) I don't think there would be ANY relief from movement!

Yeah, I've thought about the prospect of never stopping movement, wow, that would get old real quick! I should clarify, pain is less while moving, but can be horrible afterwards.

Thanks for the wish for relief! I will soon be starting ABX (first EVER in my life) and I have NO idea how long I've had this infection, but I think at least 5-6 years, perhaps MUCH longer. Things WILL get better [Smile]

Take Care, MBB3 [Smile]

Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey M...

Just saw your post about treatment and responded. Good luck with it and know we want regular updates!

No need to feel alone going through this... ok?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement