LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How Much Can I Expect at One Year?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Much Can I Expect at One Year?
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm almost a year into treatment for Lyme, with less time spent on bartonella. I have made some progress, mainly in cardiac symptoms, but I'm still in really bad shape. I do appreciate the progress, just wish it wasn't so slow.

I'd love to hear from other slow-goers who ultimately improved. What percentage of improvement did you get in the first year? How about the months and years after that? What were the turning points?

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a good question. Unfortunately as everyone is different, a hard one.

I am 20 months into treating for Lyme, bart and babesia.

I guess at the one year point I was kind of hoping to be close to remission. [shake]

However, now I just take each day as it comes.

The length of probable treatment time isn't something I focus on anymore.

Many people on this board have treated for much longer, but with good results.

At the one year point, although well away from being "normal",

I wrote down all the things that had improved.

I was really amazed to see that I had made progress, although slowly.

My suggestion to you is to do the same.

Read the success stories for added encouragement.

You will get there. No one can tell you when.

I am on my 3rd run of babesia treatment.

Will probably have to tackle bart again also.

Then really go after the Lyme.

I just try to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel,

Instead of the tunnel itself.

Hang in there. Think of it this way.

One year down. [Smile]

That's one year less of needed treatment. [Big Grin]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A hard question to answer....

It depends on,

1.How long you have been infected
2.What else you are infected with
3.What treatment you are taking and how powerful

After switching to a new LLMD, she found that I had bartonella, mycoplasma, vasculitus, mono virus, HV6, strep virus, ect.....

These are things that were keeping me from gettin well that I never thought I would have had... and some I had checked for but justused the wrong tests.

Now I know what I am facing, and know what is needed to get better.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Question - I am only 6 months into treatment. I feel just as bad today as I did many years ago but a couple of my symptoms have been lessened (like my heart palpitations - still there but less often and bladder issues are getting better).

I was hoping for better results this early in the game. Guess I am asking for a bit too much.

Been infected at least 15 years but I think that could be even much longer. Ho Hum [Embarrassed]

Posts: 261 | From NW Pa ~ Crawford County | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am at 8 mos dx - 7 mos treating....

i see a lot of improvements but still no where near the end.

i have had a few days that were very good but mostly several hours at a time...especially the morning hours. afternoon hits and bam, i go back down again, but this IS progress!

i too had hoped that i would be further along in this and get frustrated but i also remember just how bad i was and that helps me a lot.

i periodically will go back and read success stories as suggested by Geneal - great thing to do i also remember that those with success are NOT typically posting or visiting here and that gives me a lot of hope too

think about it, we typically ahve what 30-50 people logged on this site and there are well over 14000 members. that gives me great encouragement

i alwasy look at newbie member numbers and watch how many are logged in and that helps me

!!!!there is magic in these numbers!!!!!

as long as i keep paying attention to it!

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 15 months and miles better in some ways, kind of stuck in the mud in others.

At least I have my life back - that's everything.

I did notice in the Under Our Skin movie that the person I related to most as far as our cases go, was the forest ranger. Of course I'm spacing on his name now! He said he felt great -an amazing difference - at the three year mark.

I kinda had two years in my mind as an outer limit.

Now, as with other posters above, I just accept I'm in it for as long as it takes. And just happy to be receiving treatment.

Very hard to be patient. But that's the job description.

Best -

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And just happy to be receiving treatment.
quote:

Very hard to be patient. But that's the job description.

That just says it all for me!
Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been said that for every year that you had the illness untreated, figure 3 months of aggressive treatment.

Those that are newly infected usually get better the quickest.

So, it depends on how long untreated, and how many coinfections you have, and what medicines are targeting those infections, and how well you tolerate abx.

Alternative methods can work as an adjunct, but basically, I've heard, that you really some abx to knock out the infection or get it reduced to tolerable levels for your immune system to take over.

This is a marathon, not a sprint, unfortunately. It may take a couple years.

Hanging in there.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tic chick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tic chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks CherylSue. [Razz]

I am looking at another 5+ years according to your info. [Frown]

At least I know what to expect, right?

Tic

--------------------
Adversity is the diamond dust heaven polishes it's jewels with. � Robert Leighton

Daily world-wide prayers welcome for the Lyme Community - every day at 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time and 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time � all faiths welcome!

Posts: 309 | From S.E. Mass | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much you can expect at one year really depends, like Byron said, on how long you have been ill, your symptoms, your physical state and age, treatment, etc.

When I started treatment, I thought I could write some sort of triumphant post here on lymenet after a year of tx, like "How I Beat Severe Late-Stage Neuroborreliosis in One Year." You know, share the great success story with everyone.

I felt pretty awful at the 12-month mark, so postponed my "Mission Accomplished" post.

The first year was pretty up and down, rough at times but some quick undeniable progress too.

Approaching the second year anniversary of starting treatment, I am working full-time and am much better in some ways, but still have some troublesome symptoms and some bad days.

I'm not complaining, I am thrilled with the progress that I made. I now think that the more intensive tx (antibiotics and antimicrobial combos) will last 3-4 years, and then a maintenance protocol, whatever that might be.

With all the information, the best part of the recent New Haven conference was meeting other lyme/TBD survivors who told me they had been through 3-4 years of treatment, and then were able to get off abx and lead full, active and productive lives!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi LymeCFIDSMCS,

Everyone is different. That's really true. It's hard, sometimes, not to be disgusted with the slow process. [Frown]

Is there a supplement for patience?

I agree with Geneal. It helps to have stepping stones I can look back on, to see how far I've come--especially in herx.

With that, enjoy the day!

daise [Smile]

LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone, these are really helpful ideas!
The one person who has witnessed me most closely this past year has said to me repeatedly that I'm making progress, but it's not always hugely obvious to me because my life is still crap!

So I think taking note of every improvement is a great idea. And also remembering that everyone is as anxious as I am to get better, and that I'm not going to be some exception to the rule just because I want to be (who doesn't?).

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've seen on these boards, if after 12 to 18 months of treatment you are not in remission, then you're probably out of luck (sorry to be that blunt but that's the overwhelming evidence that I've seen).
Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi yanivnaced,

That's not true. There is no evidence that says 12-18 months of treatment--and that's it for everyone.

Treatment for many with chronic Lyme needs to go beyond 12-18 months. Sometimes well beyond ...

For many, at that point of 12-18 months, they're still very much in the midst of treatment.

That's from patients.

daise [Smile]

ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with daise, from personal experience and also experience of others I know. If you've been very ill for a long while before diagnosis, treatment may take a long time with continued improvement along the way. I was a wreck at one year but had distinct signs of improvement to keep me going. Have improved a great deal since then. Takes a lot of patience. Hang in there.
Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started treatment 3 months after bite for bart/babs and lyme. At the 1 year mark, I was still very sick. October will be my 2 year mark-I'm doing much better now-I am more or less functional. I can walk 2-3 miles now, my POTS was so bad in the beginning I could barely walk to the bathroom. I am on month 19 treatment. i didn't start "turning around" until month 16.
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I guess my comment was not accurate. It's amazing though how long it can take to finally start tipping the scales in one's favor.
Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

If you're electrosensitive and happen to live in a home with a high magnetic field due to cell phone towers or power lines, expect to take longer to recover. Bacteria respond to the magnetics.

Also, if your doctors put you on steroids, then refused you any antibiotics whatsoever, and watched you wither away to the point of a 'malnutrition' diagnosis, expect to grow old with Lyme.

I think I'm relapsing, and I don't know I'll ever be cured. They wasted too much time.

InADaze
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InADaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CherylSue,

Where did you hear about 3 months per year infected? If that's true, I need 63 months of treatment!? Does this include the first treatment, or does it start over again when you relapse?

I'm three month's shy of 3 years treatment this go around. If first round doesn't count, I have 2.5 more years [Frown] Ack, That would mean I do have to sell my house and move before I run out of money.

Posts: 168 | From Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement