LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Doxy, is it working?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doxy, is it working?
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 5 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Doxy 200mg a day for almost 4 weeks.

I haven't really noticed any difference in my symptoms. Only one or two days did I feel particularly bad after taking it. I am not sure what caused that, but I am sitting here feeling the same as I had before I started it.

I am seeing no change for better or worse. Is this normal?

Not having a Herx is REALLY putting my doubts even higher as to what my DX is.....

Does is take longer to herx, or should I have already started to??

I see my LLMD on Wednesday and I will discuss with him, I just though someone might have some advice as to what my next step should be.

100mg doxy 2 times a day
2 ounces of Mona Vie daily (has done NOTHING)

I have tried homeopathy (which I would like to try again)
Theta Healing
Marshall Protocol (Mino & Benicar)
Vibrational healing
Many other alt therapies that may make people think I am nuts!!
and Now the Doxy

Nothing even TOUCHES my symptoms.....I have felt the exact same for over a year...no changes with anything I do.

I know it takes time, but being in bed for a year.... and 9 of those MONTHS completely bedridden and dependent on help. I am starting to wonder if I will ever get better at ALL.

I know its sounds like I am always complaining,,...I am just lost and confused and honestly don't know what to do somedays. I don't have a lot of family support and my fiance , well he doesn't know what to do anymore....he is also worn out from doing EVERYTHNG and now we believe he also has lyme...How WONDERFUL!!!

Thanks for reading.....

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needleseye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for needleseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Doxy 200 mg/day for the first ten days and felt better and my rash went away. Then I switched to Doxy 400 mg/day and felt awful for about 5 weeks - then I felt alot better. My LD was diagnosed relatively early - only about 5 weeks after my tick bite.

Don't know if this helps you any. BTW I went on to do Ceftin, Zith and Flagyl (generic when possible) and I believe that I'm cured. I've been off abx since Spring 2005 and life is pretty normal for me.

--------------------
Wishing you fast healing and good health!

Posts: 109 | From Colorado | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a low dose of doxy for treating Lyme.

Also, I had no help from doxy either. Not every drug that is good for some is good for others. Maybe it's time to try something different, or to go with a stronger dose.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbourne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What dosage of Ceftin, zith, and flagyl did you take?
Posts: 183 | From Texas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
100mg doxy is very low dose

also marshall protocol is low dose antibiotics

most LLMDs prescribe much higher doses of antibiotics, and combinations of 2 or 3 antibiotics.

I am on 600mg rifampin, 300 mg doxy and 500 mg biaxin

Posts: 615 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unexpected, I'm curious ...

Why would you try such a low dose that is known not to treat Lyme?

Why would you do that?

Is this more of the MP stuff?

Shall I peak into your profile again to see if there is another nasty?

daise [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daise...what do you mean by Another nasty???

No this is not more MP stuff, I have stopped the MP in April first week of May. Although I have considered going back on it.

I am on such a low dose because my LLMD was worried about my heart. I was having horrible tachycardia while on the MP on 100mg of mino. He didnt want to put me on a high dose of DOXY and than my heart go nuts. I also realize now that the Benicar was helping my immune system see the pathogens and that is WHY I was herxing so badly and feeling so ill on the MP.

I am on this low dose per my LLMD....

I go to my LLMD on Wed and I am going to speak with him.

I dont understand why 100 or 200mg wont work....does anyone know why??? [confused]

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to take Higher dose Doxi -
400 to 600mg spread threw day -

200mg just makes germs Mad -Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

I took 200 mg/day for a month after my bite, and developed

encephalitis (which I still have, one year later) during that

time.

Any way you could step it up to 400?

Alv
Unregistered

WOW..this is very low.YOU NEED at least 400mg.

FYI I took them once with nystatin so I Could reach the maximum amount allowed in the blood and kill them in the brain.

Than in 1 month I JUMPED on DOXY 400mg , AZITR 500mg AND rifampnin 300mg , than 1 months later increased only RIFAMPNIN 600mg.

I can not beilive you paid so much for the 1st visit and now you are where you were before.

needleseye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for needleseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DBourne - you asked what the Rx were for the abx. Here's a synopsis of my treatment history:

Antibiotics:

Adoxa: (Doxycycline) 200 mg per day (91/2 days)
Adoxa: (Doxycycline) 400 mg per day (56 days)
66 days total

Cefuroxime 1000 mg per day (91/2 days)
Then stopped for a 8 days and started again
Cefuroxime 1000 mg per day (421/2 days)
52 days total

Zithromax 250 mg per day (12 days)
Zithromax 500 mg per day (23 days)
35 days total

Metronidazol increasing dosage (9 days)
Metronidazol 750 mg (30 days)
40 days total

Antifungal treatment:

Fluconazole: 200 mg, Nystatin: intermittently -then regularly (4 tabs 3 times per day) along with Solaray Yeast-Cleanse which has caprylic acid, garlic, tea tree oil, pau d'arco, and other yeast fighting elements. Also during that time I regularly took acidopholus (both refrigerated and Primal Defense) as well as a number of other supplements including but not limited to: multi-vitamins, Vit. C, Vit. B complex, calcium citrate, magnesium malate, evening primrose oil, gingko, alpha lipoleic acid, CoEnzyme Q10. I tried a course of oil of oregano too.

--------------------
Wishing you fast healing and good health!

Posts: 109 | From Colorado | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not compare what happened to you on Mino to what might happen to you on Doxy - although they are related, they are also quite different.

50 mg of Mino was hard for me to handle and I stopped - this after taking 400 mg of Doxy plus Tindamax and being able to handle that.

I could take regular Biaxin but time-release Biaxin had my heart racing wildy.

The ideal for Doxy in 200mg 3 times a day; however I have done well on 200 mg twice a day plus Tindamax 3 days a week. This minmum of 200 mg twice a day actually made a huge difference as opposed to when I only had 100 mg twice a day.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason lower doses of doxy don't work is that it is bacteriostatic at that lower level, meaning it prevents the bacteria from multiplying.

At the higher dose (min. 300), it becomes bacteriocidal.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement