LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV or Oral ABX, Please Help, Opinions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV or Oral ABX, Please Help, Opinions?
MBB3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MBB3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello [Smile]

I am in serious need of opinions and experiences, I am to begin IV Therapy in 1 week and still have concerns IF this how I should begin my treatment...I'll be as brief as possible.

My LLMD has prescribed the following for Lyme/Bart, Clinical DX supported by 12 Bands either + or IND on Igenex WB - painful neuro symptoms for 1.5 years including(neuropathy/tinnitus/insomnia) preceeded by vague sx's for at least 5 years.

6 Weeks of IV Rocephen (4G/Day 4 Days PER Week)
1500 MG Flagyl Beginning Week 2 (14 Days On/7 off etc)
500 MG Azithromycin on the Fifth Week.

I have had NO ABX treatment to this point.

Obviously I NEED my medicine to reach my nervous system since my sx's seem to emminate from it.

Is there ANYONE who has beaten neuro sx's (Neuropathy or Nerve Pain/tinnitus/insomnia/minor brain fog/twitching) with Oral Meds? Which ones, dose, duration?

Thank you with all my heart for trying to help to those who have 'been there'! Private messages are fine too!

Take Care, MBB3 [group hug]

Posts: 247 | From The Country | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been treating with nothing but orals. My insomnia still comes and goes, but my mental confusion, inability to read/write well, disorientation, etc. has gotten better.

I have been on a mixture of meds and have switched them around. At one point we were talking about IV, but we used orals first. As it ended up, my CNS symptoms were pretty much gone by the time we were supposed to start IV.

Different LLMD's do things differently, and differently for each patient. What worked right for me, might not be right for you.

[ 28. May 2008, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds aggressive for sure! Not suggesting its a bad thing but I was started with a build up slower than that. I dont know!!!

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IV's if you want a better and quicker recovery, if yu have neuro stuff going on then IV is a must.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JENNJENN
Member # 11952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JENNJENN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEY LUV....GO FOR THE IV!!!!! IF I CAN DO IT, U CAN!!!!!

I WISH THAT IT WAS THE FIRST THING I DID, INSTEAD OF ORAL.....

U WILL BE FINE AND BE SO MUCH BETTER FASTER

JUST BELIEVE [Smile]

--------------------
JENNIFER HUBERS

Posts: 24 | From BALTIMORE | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InADaze
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InADaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO, with neuro symptoms, IV seems more effective. Plus, do you really want to spend many extra months on orals, suffering, if you can get IV up front and get it over with faster?

I've been on & off IV due to financial/insurance issues. I always showed the most progress on IV. But then, I've had Lyme for maybe 20 years (initially diagnosed and treated 15 years ago, but relapsed 3 years ago).

In hindsight, I think if I'd had sufficient IV abx up front for my neuro issues, I'd have stayed in remission longer, and would have maybe avoided disability.

Posts: 168 | From Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi mbb3!

Yes, IV Rocephen is very good for heavy neuro and cognitive. However, only 6 weeks? Is that the most your insurance will pay for?

Do the people you're dealing with at your insurance company realize that the cost of Rocephen has drastically fallen?

Here's a link to the cost of generic Rocephen (it's actually a red flagged "sticky" near the top of the Medical Forum):

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=039004

I see your LLMD is trying to avoid a really bad first herx by bringing in orals later. That's a good thing!

Hang-in there!

daise [Smile]

Rianna
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I would do IV and IM the joy of this is that if you have a PICC or Hickman in you can also do IV Glutathione 3 times per week for any herx and to help with any Neuro problems. Again consider using IV meds to treat Bart at the beginning (IV Rifampacin(Rif must be used with another AB)/IV Levaquin/IV Teicoplanin) as if you have co-nfections especially Bart you need to treat that at the beginning.

Then move on to Lyme and cyst buster rotating cyst busters like Tinidazole or Flagyl with Ceftriaxone

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MBB3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MBB3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone [Smile]

Thanks so much for trying to help with this decision...cannot give enough appreciation!

To Daise: You mentioned it being a good thing that orals are being introduced after the IV to prevent bad herx? Do people tend to not herx on IV Rocephen?

I realize that at least one of my rx orals is a cyst buster, I thought it was being introduced at week 2 of IV to bust mobilized cysts or newly formed cysts, is this correct?

Also, I guess the 6 week duration was because of 'wait and see' approach? I have NO insurance, so this is ALL out of pocket! I am aware of the $412 Rocephen thread, but my DR wants this monitored by professionals, hence a weekly PIV insertion.

For reference, I will be paying $60 per day for IV drug and ALL supplies which equals $240 week via IV pump method/4G per day/4Days per week .

Finally, what's the jury on treating Lyme before bart? Still confused about this? It seems my DR may not being treating Bart first? Will Bart be battled with IV Roc/Azithro/Flagyl?

Thanks for any help, Take Care, MBB3 [group hug]

Posts: 247 | From The Country | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had severe neuro issues. I WANTED IV and two LLMD's would not put me on it until we "tried orals" first.

I have progressed in the last two years mostly on Amoxi/Biaxin now Bicilin/Biaxin.

Looking back, it may have been a smart move, orals have been VERY hard for me to tolerate w/incredible herxing. I probably couldn't have handled IV well because I herx so hard probably due to a large spirochete load (I am guessing).

I also have had Bart, Ehrlichia and active viral co-infections. Both LLMD's believe viral issues are also responsible for much of the nuero pain I have experienced.

You could ask to try orals first, but I would expect a long term committment as orals are not an overnight success usually, but then I have heard IV I guess may not be either. Everyone is different.

EDIT : AZITRO/FLAGYL Kill everything except babs. I just talked about this combo w/my LLMD a few days ago. This combo alone is tough. I agree w/the post below - Hold onto your hat! I have done Azithro - very rough my son did Flagyl and only made it two weeks. This combo though has been known to get people well...without IV.

Good luck - take care.

[ 29. May 2008, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is...hold on to your hat!!! That's one heck of a plan!

I'm on flagyl only 750 mg per day, and WOW! It has been one heck of a herx.

I'm also on Zithromax and when I first started on it, I herxed like crazy! You might want to slowly ramp up the Zith and Flagyl.

I started with only 250mg 1x/day for many days and then slowly added in the two other doses. It was a really rough herx at first, but has gotten better.

My LLMD put me on the flagyl to "knock down the lyme load" a little bit before we start IV.

I will have been on flagyl about a month before I start IV Rocephin which I start in a few days.

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi mbb3!

quote:

Here's your reply:
To Daise: You mentioned it being a good thing that orals are being introduced after the IV to prevent bad herx? Do people tend to not herx on IV Rocephen?

You misunderstood. It very much looked like your doc wanted to spare you a crushing first time herx, by giving you IV Rocephen and a few weeks later (or whatever) you'd start biaxin.

That's what my LLMD did for me--and I was grateful, because that first herx on IV Rocephen is a doozy! My second herx overlapped my first.

The whole arena of cyst busters is very confusing and no one has all the answers as to what works--but yes, flagyl is a cyst buster.

As far as treating bart first or Lyme or babs--it just depends. Everyone presents differently to their LLMD as far as what signs and symptoms are worse.

See yu!

daise [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement