LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV drip vs. IV push ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV drip vs. IV push ?
beatlyme
Member # 15262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beatlyme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started IV rocephin friday,,at the hospital when picc was placed,they gave me my first dose,which was a drip,the next day the infusion company came to the house and I was a little confused that they were using a push,is there any advantages to either?thanks
Posts: 71 | From Mass | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I did IV Rocephin I did IV push over 5 minutes. It is a lot easier and quicker than the 3 minute drip. No problem doing it over 5 minutes.

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, the syringes are a lot quicker and easier.

With my awesome luck though, about the second day I was on them I had an allergic reaction - pretty much severe itching, nothing life threatening. This happened about halfway through my dose, no matter how long I took to do it (It went from 8 minutes to 3 hours!)

I had to switch back over to the IV drip, only I still had to start out crazy slow, I had it set to as slow as it would go. After a few weeks, I'm finally back up to where it only takes me half an hour to do a bag.

I wouldn't say this is a super common thing, but just a heads up. If you start having any sort of minor allergic reaction, try slowing it down immediately. I kept doing them at the same pace for another week, and it turned into a huge deal.

Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the push over the drip for lots of reasons. You are fairly mobile while you are doing the push (can walk around the house if you need to) vs. being tied to a machine. I feel like I have more control over the whole process with a push. You just have to be careful not to push too fast is the only thing. You really get into a rhythm and you will figure out exactly how much pressure you have to put on the plunger to push at the right pace. It's a piece of cake. Good luck!
Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought pushing Rocephin was harder on your gallbladder? Does anyone know...I'm about to start IV rocephin and don't want to have it be harder than it will already be on my gallbladder.
Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did IV Push with Rocephin. I did it at a rate of 1ml every 1-2 minutes so that my total time for 20ml was about 30-40 minutes. Faster I would react mildly. Some would argue that it may be harder on the gallbladder, but I did not have any problem. You should take Ursidiol or Actigal to protect your gallbladder. I also like Nessman Cholenest for supporting liver and gallbladder while on IV Rocephin. The other part is that if you have to pay yourself, push is much cheaper than drip.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NElyme
Member # 15206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NElyme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks all!
Posts: 27 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefered it (in 200ml) dripped as I felt the saline helped keep my electrolytes in check and helped with the herx,My LLMD says he see's the same. Also its kinder on the vein to give it less concentrated.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement