LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 40,000 troops have post-traumatic stress by P. Jelinek, 5-27-08

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 40,000 troops have post-traumatic stress by P. Jelinek, 5-27-08
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080527/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/troops_post_traumatic

At least 40,000 have post-traumatic stress

By PAULINE JELINEK

1 hour, 7 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Pentagon figures show 40,000 U.S. troops have been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder since 2003.

But officials believe many more are keeping their illness secret.

Army Surgeon General Eric Schoomaker says officials have no reliable figures on how many troops have PTSD or how many have sought treatment for it after serving in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

That's because officials are encouraging troops to get help -- even if they go to CIVILIAN therapists and DO NOT report it to the military.

The 40,000 cases are only those the military knows of.

Many troops don't report getting treatment -- or don't get help -- because they're embarrassed or fear it will hurt their careers.

Marines and Army soldiers have been the hardest hit.

Recommend It:
Average (11 votes)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good article, BettyG.

It's sad that the VA does not offer PTSD treatment. They say they do. But it is not at all effective.

There are promising therapies to help some or a lot, yet the VA won't look into these.

When you add these PTSD hurting people with those with battle PTSD since World War II, there truly are a lot.

Thank you.

daise [Smile]

Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart breaks seeing these young people come home with burned off faces, and sometimes TWO limbs missing . The VA hospitals do not have the resources to do much for these pitiful sufferers . Many of them will come home to BLEAK futures and very little assistance to cope.

And there appears to be no end in sight .

For those who are interested do a search
on this " Pentagon Institute study Iraq War ".

It is sickening to think thousands more may be sacrificed . ( The study mentioned is a defense report , not a spin product ) . It calls the war unwinnable and a major debacle.

( Before you get mad , I used to be a republican )

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

I've never been a republican.

daise [Smile]

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.........neither have i !! [Wink]
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tax me, I'll stop paying private insurance companies for insurance that they'll never actually let me have. I get sick, they claim 'It's not covered," I need antibiotics, they claim "28 days and you're cured, no more for you."

I'll funnel the money from private insurance into a program where they won't say "Sorry, not covered", and soliders like these would get the care they need.

I'm in Italy right now visiting. Everyone gets treatment if they're a citizen. You need medication? They'll give you whatever you want as long as someone is prescribing it. Waiting time for procedures is no longer than our waiting time.

It's time the system changed. As great as the system is claimed to be (And it's true the medical technology and skill is extraordinary in the U.S.) is worthless to those who can't afford it, who can't access it, and who are abandoned.

That's discrimination. Having a system in place that tells people "If you pay, we'll save your life, we'll help you heal, we'll reduce your suffering" If you don't pay they'll abandon you, ignore you, and lobby against you as you attempt to fight for universal health care coverage through your representatives. Like the IDSA, they'll try to suppress your bill, they'll try to minimize your message and your plight.

Did you know that Emergency Rooms and hospitals are gradually turning away patients even in the middle of emergencies because they don't have insurance, or their carrier won't cover the visit? If you don't have a credit card, insurance, or any means of payment, some of them are telling people to go somewhere else.

Did you know insurance companies are gradually raising not only premiums, but they're raising co-payments. They do it over time, subtle changes, in order that Americans will adjust to the change without noticing how seriously it's afflicting them, until suddenly one day they react in horror! They're raising the co-payments in a very systematic way. It's intended to dissuade people from multiple follow-ups with doctors. Think about it? If you're healthy, you're less likely to go for preventative care, yearly check-ups, thus, decreasing your chances of catching illness before it advances.

Did you know that these co-payments are also used to dissuade chronically ill patients from going for repeat visits to their doctors -- keeping them to the bare minimum -- so they only visit when they absolutely have to, in order to conserve their bottomline?

That's Unamerican. That, is unpatriotic.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyway...

Good article, Betty.

It looks like nowadays people are getting their problems addressed (however imperfectly) instead of becoming the "crazy" relative who was "never quite right" after the war.

I thank my veterans and pray for them and their families EVERY day.

I fly my flag daily knowing the red stripes represent the blood that was shed to give me and my children the blanket of freedom we sleep under each night.

I am sorry so many have to sacrifice so much.

[Frown] carly

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this article. Good reminder.

And additionally, during some meetings I have been in lately it has been mentioned that up to one quarter (1/4) of all the troops who have been deployed to Iraq may have closed head trauma. This is a new danger to this kind of war because of the explosion of IEDs. You may not think you are injured because no blood or broken bones, but the percussion of the blast has caused brain injury.

Something to think about....

Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi docjen,

Yes, up to 25% with closed head trauma. And the VA is hardly helping them. Very sad.

daise [Smile]

daise
Unregistered

(flooding)

[ 29. May 2008, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: daise ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement