LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » trip to er hell!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: trip to er hell!!
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My stomach and back pain got so bad i went to the ER this morning. I was doubled over in pain which was under the curve of my ribs and through to the back. I could feel my pulse in my back it hurt so bad.

First the damn nurse nearbout killed me trying to get the IV in. I am bruised black from elbow to wrist as she tried three times. I swear that idiot was twisting the needle. I was crying it hurt so bad.

Do you have any suggestions for dealing with a MAJOR bruise like this?

Then they gave me morphine and phernagan which made me sicker than dog. Then I had contrast iodine for an IV. I felt like my veins were on fire when they finished.

They took enough blood to satisfy old Drac for a good month!!

bottom line tho -- everything was normal!!! amalyze, lipase, liver, urine, normal. I was absolutely positive it was my pancreas but the doctor said no, it wasn't.

He gave me a prescription for phernagan, demoral, and some probiotics. I asked him about digestive enzymes but he wouldn't give them to me.

I thought that was strange -- giving me demoral and phernagan which are major drugs but wouldn't give me the enzymes.

I actually came home feeling a little better but right now my arm is KILLING me. It's tingly and numb. Mike had an absolute fit when he saw it.
He said I should have stopped her right there.

I looked down and there was blood running from my fingers on the floor!! She asked me if I was taking blood thinners and I said no. She said real nasty "well you're obviously doing something." I got po'd and said "well dr. hodgson's nurse nails it every time." I'm just paranoid enough to think she did it on purpose, but by then I was crying enough to wake the dead!!

I am never going back to an ER unless I'm halfdead and seeing my mommy!!! and my dog...

That's it...over, kaput, no more hospitals....

Could lyme actually have done all this? I'm not on any treatment now. Damn, I've got find a doctor.

I heard there's one in Denton and I'm going to research this tomorrow.

Right now, I just feel really ill........

I hate doctors and right now nurses are up there too.

What a bunch of idiots....and then he tells me "well there's obviously nothing wrong with you because all your tests are normal. go back to your primary care doctor."....geez....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrowpath
Member # 15086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for narrowpath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, God, how awful.

I don't have a lot of time to type, but in a nutshell, I've been there. I literally landed in the ER thinking I was going to die and they didn't even say "hello, are you OK?" when I arrived in the wheelchair. It went downhill from there. The apathy. The blank faces. The wait. The pain. The ignorance. It was a nightmare.

The only lesson I learned? You have to continue to fight for yourself - be your own healthcare advocate (when you are lucky enough to be able to do so) and just pray you occasionally encounter a professional, empathetic human.

I hope you're feeling better.

Posts: 43 | From Chicago | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hostbody
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hostbody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this may sound wacky, but for the bruise I

have found putting patchouly essential oil has

helped me with vein problems.

Have to get good stuff though. The brand I use

is called Ancient Wisdom. One drop, rub it

lightly on the bruise, once a day.

I had vein inflamation after an IV, I put the oil

on and I had relief the next day. I also hurt

some vein in my hand hoeing the garden. I put

the Patchouly on it that night and the next day I

didn't have any pain and the vein went down.

I am a sceptic, but I saw for myself that it

worked!

Posts: 111 | From York, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch!!!! Triple ouch!!!

If it makes you feel better, the nurse who draws blood (new one) at LLMD's office

Stuck me four times! [Eek!]

I told her if she didn't get it on the fourth try she wasn't going to get it.

Funny thing is she asked what I had been doing?

Ah.....nothing.

Sheesh! [Mad]

Have you thought at all about bartonella?

Those GI issues may be related to that.

Next time, I will only allow 2 sticks.

Then I want the nursing supervisor or the nurse who used to get my blood every time on 1st stick.

Hope you feel better soon.

[group hug]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] sorry randibear

i have had lots of er visits i would like to forget. ( And since i have lyme sometimes i do [dizzy] )

if they are really messing up with the ivs than i tell them they have to get someone else to do it.

I think it is a good idea to find a lyme dr.

it also might be a good idea to find a new gastro dr...

I am sorry i cant remember if you had an endoscopy done...did you?

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InADaze
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InADaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like a horrid visit. I don't have any advice on helping your bruise. I get them all the time, even with one stick, though not as bad as yours.

I feel your pain. When they tried to install my PICC, I almost kicked the crap out of the nurse as a reflex from the pain she put me in. (they ended up installing a port, since I can't be catherized.)

***But, if they are having trouble drawing blood, make them stop. Drink a glass of water & try again in 15 minutes or so with a pediatric butterfly needle. I've had to do this a lot because I have low blood pressure (about 90/50).

Any time I go get bloodwork, I pound water before I go, and it helps them get the vein on the first try or two, unless they are really incompetent.

I hope they at least find out what was causing your stomach/back pain with all those tests.

Posts: 168 | From Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

quoting randy... I've got find a doctor.

I heard there's one in Denton and I'm going to research this tomorrow....

YES THERE IS trained by Dr. B who wrote our guidelines!!! call him!

sorry to read about the incompetence there!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry for what you went through. Sounds horrible and just like my trip to ER back in Feb..same thing happened to me..treid to get IV in and there was blood everywhere, my right arm was black and blue.

I hate the ER and only go if I am in severe pain..I call it the torcher place.

Anytime I would get an IV it always hurt, and they have had to stick me more than once breaking my veins too, no fun.

For the bruising I use ice packs.

I hope you'll be feeling better soon, let us know and hang in there..

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ForestNymph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ForestNymph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry that they put you through that in the ER. Don't they test these people to make sure they know what they're doing before they start poking people with needles?

I had a similar experience in the ER. When I first got sick I came down with what I thought was the flu and couldn't stop vimiting. I was getting weak fast so my husband took me to the ER.

They admitted me pretty fast because it was a small hospital in a small town and the people in the waiting room were getting sick watching me throw up into a bag. Right away the nurse started an IV line.

I was surprised because I've never had an IV hurt that bad and I told her it didn't feel right. All she says is "Oh, you're just sick, everything just seems worse than it is."

I was too sick to argue but then when she administered phenergen it burned like hell and I cried out. Again, she just ignored me. Then another women came in to take blood.

I couldn't believe it that when she drew the blood it was the most painful that had ever been and I've had a ton of blood drawn. I started to think that maybe I was being overly sensitive.

Later that night after they sent me home my right arm where the IV had been swelled up to twice its normal size and I couldn't even wear a shirt with a long sleeve because it was too painful.

I also had a dark red line along the length of my arm. It was back to the ER. They didn't know what was wrong but they gave me abx and it got better. Then I noticed my left arm was severely black & blue from the blood draw.

And they said I was just being sensitive! I swore off hospitals too until I couldn't stop vomiting again. Then it was back to the ER. This was a much nicer hospital and the staff was better.

I still think it's best to avoid it if possible. Our bodies are too delicate to be exposed to any unnecessary strain.

I hope things get better. Sorry you are having such a rough time right now.

Hang in there randibear! [group hug]

--------------------
Infected in March '06

Lyme Disease, Bartonella, Babesia

Diagnosed June '07

Remission Since September 2011.

My Story:
http://lymelabyrinth.blogspot.com

www.myspace.com/psyche_entranced

Posts: 119 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you had to endure all that. Sounds awful. The ER is not a pleasant place to be...

I had a friend along time ago who swore by using wheat grass (you know, the kind they use to juice in healthfood stores). He washed some off, crushed it a little & put it on a wound. He said it healed it.

You may want to try some neosporin (to kill any bacteria) & some aloe vera to heal it.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a Tazzer will get you Better Treatment -

Worked for me -Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for all the responses. I got some vitamin K cream which the pharmacist is for those humongous bruises like i have. the pharmacist took one look and said, "man, who did you run into?"

He said cold compresses and using this vitamin k twice a day will reduce swelling and cream prevents further damage.

i'm not going back for any reason unless it's a car wreck and then only life threatening.

the swelling has gone down but now it's turning all shades of black and purple dots.

if you're not bleeding out on them, i really think they don't care....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbsoapfan
Member # 12055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbsoapfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you tell him .. you ran into an ER Nurse and the ER nurse won?

I hate it when they take forever to get an IV in. They do this EVERYDAY .. why can't they learn?

My experience was one guy took 3 times. after I was screaming in pain (was already in pain already ) .. I told him he touched me one more time, I would sue for sexual harrassment and to get me another nurse. 2nd nurse: I told her .. she had one time and if she didn't get it in, I wanted her supervisor. Yep got hte supervisor. FIVE TIMES .. for one IV.

ER's are not fun. I avoid them at all cost. I'm so sorry you had to experience this.

Posts: 18 | From NC | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can they use butterfly needles for inserting an IV? I don't let anybody try to touch me with a regular needle - they miss every time.

They don't like to use the butterfly needles because they cost them more - but they probably charge us 5 times what they pay anyway!

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I would have to be half dead to head to the ER. I always figure it can wait until Monday morning! If I die, oh well!

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InADaze
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InADaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe my last IV was a butterfly needle. But, don't quote me (Lyme memory). [Wink]
Posts: 168 | From Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sons have a hard time with blood draws too. They use heat and it helps a lot. Jake puts his hands in hot water for awhile. (Jake has his blood drawn from his hand.) Jordan uses Thermacare heat wraps. He puts one on before we leave home for a blood draw. Both methods make blood draws so much easier.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement