LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » heat intolerance tricks? (ice, AC, pool)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: heat intolerance tricks? (ice, AC, pool)
realist
Member # 15105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for realist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With summer coming, how do those of you with heat intolerance fight the heat?

My wife and I have tried many things, including:

Cooling vest, like the one here: http://www.glaciertek.com/

Soaking our heads with cold water from the hose.

Soaking our shirts with water.

Buying a kiddie pool and taking dunks all the time.

I'm considering making a vest to hold ice packs, since the coolest vest is designed to be worn for hours and isn't really "cold".

Because we own horses on a country property, we can't sit inside all day in the AC.

Any other creative ideas?

Thanks!

Posts: 31 | From Leesburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InADaze
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InADaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not creative, but absolutely necessary for me. Loads and loads of drinking water.

Getting even the slightest bit dehydrated makes my heat intolerance and other symptoms so much worse.

Posts: 168 | From Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go to SUPPORT and look for LUVS2RIDE, she has horses too and perhaps can give you additional advise.

can't remember if she goes to medical or NOT!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sad but I stay in the air conditioning and avoid going out.

We are avid boaters, live on the water. I don't go on the boat on super hot days - I just can't tolerate the heat.

We can't afford the gasoline this summer anyway - yikes!

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some Cooling Clothing

Maybe you can stitch some cotton fabric inside a hat to make a pouch & insert an ice pack?

Would spray bottles filled with ice water help any?

[confused]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi realist,

So sorry you have this symptom, it really stinks.

I have lived with this symptom for so many years, I thought it was normal. If I went out into the heat I had to get wet period; either whole body wet or pouring water over my head.

Treating for Lyme/Babesia has made a big difference for me, I can now tolerate much more heat that ever before.

I hope this symptom will improves for you as well and you find something that helps.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
realist
Member # 15105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for realist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an interesting idea using a camelback filled with ice:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11042

Posts: 31 | From Leesburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
realist
Member # 15105

Here are some other ideas.

Misting fans:
http://www.cool-off.com/

Article on MS and heat intolerance:
http://ms.about.com/od/livingwellwithms/a/make_cooling.htm

MS cooling products:
http://ms.about.com/od/resources/tp/ms_cooling.htm

Neck coolers:
http://www.p2designs.com/ShipCooler.htm

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you can hire a high school student to water the horses or check on them or whatever you have to do during the heat of the day?

I've been dealing with heat intolerance for 20+ years so I know how limiting it is on ones ability to function.

I plan my time out during the coolest times of the day. Usually go out in the morning and not in the afternoon. If you have to go out in the heat of the day, make it quick, preferrably in an air conditioned car and then plan to recover for awhile by laying down as soon as you get home. That seems to help with recovery time.

Don't fan yourself with anything because the action of fanning yourself makes you hotter instead of cooler.

The other ideas here sound pretty good.

The biggest improvement I've had from babs treatment is that my daughter can now visit our home without the need to wear a coat! I still seem to be infected with babs so I expect once I am rid of it I'll be able to tolerate normal temps.

I hope you can find a treatment that will stop the heat intolerance. It's been great to be able to go out in temps that others consider normal and not have to recover for days.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulStill
Member # 15375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulStill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I have been doing even though I don't tolerate the heat.
I take a very hot bath and when I get out I get under several blankets and make myself sweat for about an hour.
The next day my temperature is 98.6 to 98.9 instead of 97.6 or there abouts.
The lyme bacteria hates this and I've heard they can't live in high temperatures.
I am not recommending this to anyone because I am not a doctor. This is just a strategy I am doing after reading some holistic stuff.
I also consume something hot and spicy when I do this. Spicy stuff can make you sweat.
Sweating is one way we get rid of toxins. Don't want to recycle this stuff.

Have a good evening.

--------------------
HopefulStill

Posts: 8 | From Ohio | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally hate the heat and I live in California.

But I have heard from LLMd's not to even use ice or cold packs on pain, heat only and not to even swim that it lowers core body temp and Bb loves low body temps.

So I sweat it out...literally.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with heat for some of us is that it dumps our already low blood pressure. This can be dangerous. You can faint at the wheel of a car or during some other dangerous activity.

For years I couldn't sweat. Babs treatment has helped some but if you can't sweat, you can't regulate your temperature very well. You can get heatstroke.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know this was a symptom?! I thought it was normal....guess not!

I am always hot or very cold. Strange.

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymebytes my good friend - sweating it out is good, I'll bet!

I did my inra-red sauna last night and I thought - "how am I goind to do this when it gets really hot???" It's in my very cool basement but I'm still very uncomfortable in the hot weather and the thought of making myself sweat on purpose is not very appealing!

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Fellow Horse Lovers!

Sweat. Man, could I ever sweat.

I grew up in the south and like most southerners, I got cold very easily. Heat was no problem for me.

That is until Lyme. I didn't connect this with lyme. I thought I was approaching middle age and menopause.

Suddenly, I could not tolerate heat. My husband and I kept our house so cold people would put sweaters on when they came to see us.

Still, I rode and I even rode in endurance events. Can you imagine? My salvation was an incredible amount of sweat.

Not that I enjoyed being sweaty all the time. Especially not when at work, but I sweated and sweated. ...hmmm, is sweated a word?

One time I was on my horse and working with a trainer. The trainer was standing beside my horse looking up at me and he had to move back to avoid my drops of sweat. That was embarrassing.

As far as what to do about it, sounds like you are already covering all the ideas. There is a product you can find in most horse catalogs that you keep in the fridge and put around your neck when you go riding.

When I started treatment for Lyme, I started with a doctor who was also a board certified homeopath. He was anthesiologist by day and holistic by evening.

His (FDA approved) remedies knocked out so many of my symptoms....permanently so far (3 yrs). The heat intolerance was one of them.

At the time, I swung from heat intolerance to freezing and for months could sit in a fire and not get warm. During this time, I couldn't sweat to save my life (no pun intended) Gotta love this stupid disease.

Today, my body temp is normal. I finally can sweat again but not abnormally. The heat feels great and so does the cool. I still hate humidity but then I always did.

Wish I had more ideas for you. I chose to suffer and sweat rather than not ride. Although I did become a big fan of winter riding. To this day, I like it best because in addition to no heat, there is also no bugs and no snakes. The horses fare better too.

I sure hope treatment will eventually bring about the same results for you guys.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im going to colorado for July and my brother has no AC.

I will be sweating the whole time. But Im hoping it will be good for me.

Im also probablly going to be walking to the bus stop alot.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement