LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » inner ear pain -- abx causing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: inner ear pain -- abx causing?
cottonbrain
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a confusing one: for 4-5 days i have had mild-to-moderate inner ear pain. It does not seem to be improving, even though

i stopped taking zith and mino 4 days ago. I also stopped taking bactrim 24 hours ago.

what's left?
benicar
cholestyramine
valtrex
buhner herbs

I'm really getting worried about this, and LLMD is advising that i resume the mino and zith, albeit slowly.

anybody got any good ideas??

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cotton,

I don't know. [Frown]

Could be a herx.

Try here. This used to be a sticky thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

daise [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking maybe a middle ear infection...

Then realized that zith would probably cover this.

I had to stop zith due to ear ringing.

My neighbor had to stop it due to a fullness feeling in her ears.

Zith has a very long half life....around 96 hours.

May want to see if you can change to a different antibiotic such as biaxin.

Any colds? Sinus? Anything else that may be causing this pain?

Keep us posted on how you are doing, okay.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geneal and Daise, thanks for the replies, and for the link. When I see my LLMD in three weeks, i will ask him to prescribe biaxin and doxy instead of mino and zith.

Anybody know if biaxin and doxy are a safe combo?

I'm on day 5 without zith or mino. The only difference is that now my energy level has gone down -- still have the darn earache.

This is my second day without bactrim; I stopped the cholestyramine and I even reduced benicar down to 5 mg a day. No luck!

yikes...

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had surgery to remove a cyst in the inner ear.

A cholesteatoma. Two physicians didn't see a perforated eardrum even though they were looking for it.

An ENT saw much more through a micoscope in the ear.

IMO - get pcp to refer you to an ENT!!
The symptoms that got me there was hearing loss/ringing while on zithromax (and after).

BTW - this thing was growing for years, and now that I've had the surgery, I'm finding out it's not too rare...(it's not common , either)

Good Luck

carly

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi cottonbrain --

I totally sympathize with your ear pains. I have many ear issues that come and go according to abx and hormones.

I see a neuro-otologist (fancy ear doctor) who told me that it was okay to take most abx -- some abx would produce ear symptoms that could be reversable.

He said that of all the meds to avoid in terms of harm to ears, Minocycline was worst with the fluoroquinolones coming in next (ie: Levaquin).

I could only stay on Zithromax for 4 1/2 months. The ringing and ear pain grew to be too much.

I also tried Minocycline which helped me in some ways but gave me ringing, sound sensitivity and pain that my ear-doc felt to be too dangerous in terms of hearing loss.

I also think the co's and lyme like to view my ears as my Achilles Heel.

Don't know if this helps at all, but I thought I'd add it to your research. Search Keebler's ear posts: Keebler knows volumes about ear stuff!

Best,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--

When you first stated "what's left? " w/ a list - I did not realize that you are taking all that is on the list. I thought you were inquiring as to if you might consider the list.

When I tried benicar I got very dizzy and lots of ear stuff . . . but can't recall if it was ear pain but it definitely was fullness in the ears, pressure for me. Note, though, that I react differently to meds than most other people.

I only tried 5 mg., too. but could not continue.

If you are trying to do a modified Marshall protocol, benicar will not have the desired effects (as per protocol) unless the protocol is followed specifically. And, the MP is clear that modified versions are not advised.

However, benicar has other effects for which your doctor may have prescribed it. I wonder if you can cut it down by half again or stop it for a short time and see if the ears get better.

Even taking 5 mg. for a couple of days really did me in. I realize though, that I did not follow the Marshall Protocol but was just doing a test run with benicar to see if I could even tolerate it. But, it has different effects with the protocol.

sorry I'm so long winded. can't really tell if I've said it correctly or not.

hope this gets better for you.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

A cyst in the inner ear, Carly! wow, i feel bad for you. I never even knew such a thing existed. was your perforated eardrum caused by the cholesteatoma, or in addition to it?

what kind of surgery did you have done? I am so glad you shared this-- it is really good to know.

wiseforit, my recent symptoms sound similar to yours, with hyperacusis getting worse -- I almost jumped out of my skin when my hubby ripped the cellophane off a frozen dinner.

Even the sound of running water is awful now.
I can't belive my LLMD advised me to resume the mino and zith after a couple days! hmmm...

Keebler, thanks for posting about the benicar. i googled it and saw that some people have had dire effects from it, even renal failure. I'm taking it to reduce inflammation,

and it really has been effective for that -- but now I'm scared of it.

i will take your advice and stop it for a time, maybe permanently. gosh, these drugs are really scary!

thanks so much for all your input! after hearing your experiences, I am going to make an appt with my pcp to look in my ear asap.

basically frightened,
Cotton

babesiamom
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inner ear pain or tinnitis can be caused by babesia.... or even the meds you take to kill stuff. Very common though many people don't make this connection. Had it for years (only in one ear), but when got rid of Babesia it went away. Thank heavens.
you can make yourself go deaf if overdue some of these thing and your doctor should know that. Blowing out an eardrum is not smart.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

WiserForIt: thanks for the compliment.

Here's the research link Daise started:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cottonbrain --

just to add to the post...

I stayed off everything due to elevated liver enzymes for 5 weeks. I also think the liver enzymes were a warning that my ears heeded before I caught on!

The sound sensitivity took that long to resolve and I actually felt my ears draining during the process. I heeded Keebler's advice and wore earplugs when using hairdryer and sometimes even when my kids were around.

I am thankful that my ears are calming down. The sensitivity was nerve-wracking and startling and just plain awful. I know what you mean when you talked about your husband ripping celephane off a dish and causing you to jump out of your skin!

That said, Mino did some great things for me in other departments, but the sound sensitivity just got too bad. Same for Zith, but with that the stuffy ear pain and balance issues made it no longer worth it.

So, now I'm trying Zith's cousin Biaxin -- so far no ear issues, but I'm ramping up slowly. I'm also trying out Milk Thistle caplets to try and address my tired liver's needs.

I wish you all the best,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had ear pain w/itching a few weeks ago. On the day that the pain was the worst, I put a cotton swab in the canal (I know you aren't supposed to do that), and there was a tinge of blood.

I told my LLMD, and she said that it could be candida, so she prescribed anti-fungal ear drops, and it seems to have cleared up.

Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corinne E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corinne E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A tiny amount of peroxide on a q-tip for itchy sore ears will take care of candida and the effects of abx will also make your ears itchy/sore. Many on canlyme have tried this with great results. An ear doc many years ago, even then I now know I had lyme, told me to do this.

Corinne

Posts: 461 | From Abbotsford, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great timing for this question-thanks!

Started doxy iv on Tuesday and noticed L inner ear
pain during treatment on Friday and Saturday. Next day, pain is gone. Having my treatment right now and not noticing it yet...

Never had ear problems before, even while on oral doxy. Is this a allergic side effect? Do I need to contact Dr? [confused]

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

very interesting about the candida in the inner ear -- I just tested positive for yeast and have been trying to kill it with olive leaf extract, diet, and overloading probiotics.

I'll ask my PCP today if she has ever heard of this (probably not, quackquack, but I'll give her a shot)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement