LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Most important supplements

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Most important supplements
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on a very STRICT budget..single mom two children, one with lyme. I've reviewed Dr. B's list of supplements and can not afford to purchase all of them.

What is the absolute most important ones? Acidophilus of course is number one but what else?

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dg0207
Member # 15623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dg0207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello:

I currently an taking a multi-V with Iron, Vit C, Magnesium for occasional muscle twitches, a supplement called "Power Plus" which is loaded with essential amino acids for muscle growth & nutrition and mitochondia support.

Also acidophilus, yogurt "Dannon Activia" and a prescription for Nystatin which is an anti-fugal/anti-yeast mouth swish.

One other item I take every so often is Malic Acid with Magnesium. Many people with fibromyalgia and cronic fatigue conditions are told that it is a must for cellular oxygenation and nutrition.

However I often wonder that maybe these items along with the antibiotic is too much load on my liver and kidneys. I tend to drink plenty of fluids and keep my fiber intake high.

Good Luck

Dave

Posts: 69 | From New York State | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dg0207
Member # 15623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dg0207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing which helps me a lot with the insomnia that comes and goes is "Melantonin"-(3mg tablet)right before bed with no lights, TV, radio etc.

Dave

Posts: 69 | From New York State | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayasdad
Member # 15675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayasdad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter Kaya takes 9 childrens DHA pills a

day, 2 drinks of glutamine to help build up her

muscles, 2 acidophilus pills, 3 juice plus in

the morning and 3 at night, folic acid with B12,

and milk thistle. You can read more about her

at the 6 yr old human guneau pig. Is there

anything else that anyone suggests to give her?

--------------------
Visit www.caringbridge.org/visit/kayaraigh http://www.lymelightassociation.org LIGHTING THE WAY TOWARD LYME LITERACY. An up and coming organization with the goal of educating the public on Lyme disease and associated tick borne illnesses.

Posts: 52 | From WV | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayasdad
Member # 15675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayasdad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milk thistle is really important - to protect the liver. It is fairly inexpensive too.

--------------------
Visit www.caringbridge.org/visit/kayaraigh http://www.lymelightassociation.org LIGHTING THE WAY TOWARD LYME LITERACY. An up and coming organization with the goal of educating the public on Lyme disease and associated tick borne illnesses.

Posts: 52 | From WV | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probaly depends on your symptoms and if you have problems with yeast, coinfections ect.

what did your dr reccomend.

the cheapest place i have found for most things is www.vitacost.com

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayasdad
Member # 15675

If you go to this site here it will tell you all of her symtoms!

It tells the whole story!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=066874

Robb

--------------------

Kayasdad
Member # 15675

Is there any detox kits that we could give to her? We had one, but a doctor got it for us and

now it seems like we have to have a script to order it.

It is
(PEKANA Naturheilmittel)

this consisted of:
apo-HEPAT-for liver functions

ITIRES-for lymphatic functions and
RENELIX-for kidney functions

This seemed to keep her weekly blood work in good shape, but after we ran out her blood work

has fluttered in high levels or low levels. So, I'm trying to find something to either take its

place or get it again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you and all of our prayers!

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kayasdad:
Milk thistle is really important - to protect the liver. It is fairly inexpensive too.

Look for Jarrow Formulas at www.vitacost.com

Very good price for quality stuff!

Duh.. editing to add.... I misread what you wrote!! I thought you said it was expensive! [bonk]

Anyway, in answer to the original question... Yes to acidophilus and magnesium for sure. I also take CoQ10 and milk thistle, among other things.

MSM if you have pain.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

A good quality multi-vitamin with natural (not synthetic) A (as beta carotene) and E (as toph. something).

Minerals (especially magnesium to calm down my overexcited cells)

Milk thistle,
some good EFA's - essential fatty acids,
probiotics and
NAC.

NAC is a precursor to glutatione and helps in many ways.

Cordyceps or ashwagandha are good adrenal tonics.

I'll go heavy on turmeric in cooking or add curcumin tablets for the anti-inflammatory effects.

Vitamin C - ester - is often at good prices.

-----------------------------

Some find help with glutamate supplement, but a note of caution for anyone who may have a seizure disorder - glutamate is converted to glutamic acid and too much can be too stimulating to the brain for some easily "wired" from certain supplements or certain foods.

-

[ 01. June 2008, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Gigi posted before stay away from any supplement that contains magnesium stearate which seems to be in numerous supplements including some Jarrow products and even in some Metagenics products and some probiotics.

Magnesium stearate and titanium dioxide help allow biofilms to form.

I do take Reservatrol Plus by Pure Encapsulations which contains plant fiber as "other ingredients" I wonder what that really is and if it is bad for you?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After spending literally thousands of dollars on dozens and dozens of different supplements over the last 3 years, I am now convinced that a lot of them just gave me expensive urine.

I have streamlined my supplements to those that I think are key (for our overall health, not just for lyme):
-magnesium (citrate or malate or combination thereof)
-buffered Vit C
-B complex
-probiotic of choice (I take Florastor)
-essential fatty acid of choice (I take flax seed oil)
-melatonin (for chronic insomnia)

And of course the most important, a well-balanced diet including lots of power foods.

Good luck!

Jen

Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can't afford a prescription for diflucan or nystatin, I recommend candex. You can get it from vitamin shoppe and it's very reasonable. works too...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats the deal with biofilm. My LLMD doesnt believe it.
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

I did 3 bottles of Candex with zero results. I was told by an employee at the health food store that Candidase is stronger so I have moved on to that and am awaiting results. I did notice some improvement with Bio K.

My LLMD is concerned with magnesium stearate and biofilms.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting.

I am so chemically sensitive now that I cant anything that kills candida. I get burning in my feet and become suicidal.

Its very strange.

Ive been taking welchol daily with no results but because its intert I will continue to take it.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayasdad
Member # 15675

I also have Kaya on Childrens DHA(fish oils), which helps keep the brain in good condition.

It seems to work really well with her! I also have her on Juice Plus, which we were told this

is one of the best multi-vitamins to be on. We even give it to our 3 year old whom dosn't havr

Lyme. It seems to keep her healthy! This isn't really expensive either! You can also get it

for adults!!! To those adults who may be looking for a good multi-vitamine.

--------------------

Peacesoul
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by docjen:
After spending literally thousands of dollars on dozens and dozens of different supplements over the last 3 years, I am now convinced that a lot of them just gave me expensive urine.

I have streamlined my supplements to those that I think are key (for our overall health, not just for lyme):
-magnesium (citrate or malate or combination thereof)
-buffered Vit C
-B complex
-probiotic of choice (I take Florastor)
-essential fatty acid of choice (I take flax seed oil)
-melatonin (for chronic insomnia)

And of course the most important, a well-balanced diet including lots of power foods.

Good luck!

Jen

LOL....expensive urine.
I agree

The one thing I need to point out is, Florater is simply S Boulardii. Which is a probiotic, but s boulardii is only one strain and does not cover any other stains.
Floraster (s boulardii is good to ward of or heal from c diff), but not a good everyday probiotic.

Floraster is also overpriced. You're paying for the brand name. S boulardii on it's own, w/out the fancy name is 1/2 the price.
But again, not a good broad spectrum probiotic.

My list would be

1: broad spectrum probiotic

2: Milk Thistle (a must have when on abx)

3- essesial oil such as flax. But not a cheap capsule. Cold pressed oil is the only way to reep the benefits from flax

4- Apple cider vinegar. Organic, unfiltered, unpasturized with "mother" in it. This cleans out the blood, helps kill yeast and stomach bacteria, provides a wealth of vits and minerals and I also use it to help me sleep. It's also VERY inexpensive.

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kayas dad,

Did you read the article I referred you to regarding excitotoxins?

Many Lyme patients have problems taking glutamine. Pre-Lyme hubby took it to heal gastritis -- since Lyme he can't take it. It can convert to glutamic acid which is a neurotoxin.

For him it causes increased tremors/myoclonus -- an almost immediate reaction. He can't even take most of the protein powder supplements because of their high glutamine content.

MSG and aspartame (nutrasweet) can be problematic as well.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those with severe neuro problems CoQ10 would be my number one supplement of choice. Also good for cardiac issues.

Many people can benefit from SAM-e as well. Helps the methylation pathway.

l-theanine is helpful for mood problems.

These are probably hubby's top 3 supplements -- and he has tried just about everything. Even when money is tight these are the absolute essentials for him.

I think we spend more in supplements than we spend for food every month, but have tried stopping and that just doesn't work.

Hubby takes acidophilus and s.boularrdi both.

I rotate everything else around and am always trying new things. About once a week I count out all his supplements in little baggies for morning, noon and night. He never knows what he is taking except for some he recognizes by sight. I keep a list of any changes from week to week so I guess you could say he is my double-blind study on what helps and what doesn't.

Ran out of ox bile recently and it didn't take us either one long to figure out that that was still needed.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KauaiGoddess
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KauaiGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha~

1. Probiotics

2. Milk Thistle (very important)

3. Multi-vitamin (esp. B- vitamins!)

4. Magnesium Malate (to bowel tolerance)

5. NAC (precursor to glutatione)

6. Alpha Lipoic Acid

7. Buffered V-C

8. EFA's ( I use Udo's choice DHA oil on my food- it's kinda pricy- $30 in hawaii- but last a month- really helps lubricate the joints and brain!!)

9. Electrolytes

I'd also really recommend CHLORELLA from Biopure....I really love their stuff....it helps with the toxin load...and also is VERy nutritious! seriously recommended!!! (have no association with the company- just love their product)

Also, detox teas are great...Bija or Wellaments (sp?) have great ones!

Fiber is really important too!

I know that's quit the list... just me... I actually take a few more...he he

much love~

Fawne

--------------------
Energy flows where attention goes~

Posts: 302 | From Kauai | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayasdad
Member # 15675

Seibert, I'll talk to kayasmom, and maybe we will take Kaya off of the Glutamine for a couple of weeks and see what it does. Kaya is on it, because our first LLMD before we got into Dr.J

told us we sould put her on it! So, it was under the advice of a doctor! The LLMD is on it and so is her child. They both have Lyme also!

What will it hurt if we take Kaya off of it! At least we will know if its hurting her or not!

Thank You!

--------------------

Kayasdad
Member # 15675

I had our llmd in Morgantown call me a couple of days ago to check on Kaya, and she told me to get Palea Meal for my daughter.

This is good to help detoxify and it is high in vitamins. It also comes in three different flavors. chocalate, strawberry, and vanella

Sorry I can't spell! I found it @ mossnutrition.com, but it is kind of expensive! 900ml for $86.00 This includes shipping!

Does anyone have anything else I may want to give my daughter?

We have also cut back the glutamine to once a day rather than twice a day like seibert sugested! I'm not sure how much it's working!

Dr.J started Kaya on Flagyl a couple of weeks ago! although she only gets 250ml twice a day for two days straight we did this at the same time!

Thank you everyone!!!1

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement