LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Starting Levaquin what to expect?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Starting Levaquin what to expect?
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am starting levaquin and I have been dreading for quite some time. I have been treated with most lyme meds. I've been seeing an LLMD for the last 3 years.

I just finished 10 months of IV in December and my doc is now switching me to Levaquin. So anything that can be shared with this drug would be helpful!

Thanks,
Lindsay

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KauaiGoddess
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KauaiGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha,

I am starting this Wed.

hope others reply.....been resisting taking this on too....

just finishing 6 months of Rifampin which has done wonders.... smiles...

much love~
Fawne

--------------------
Energy flows where attention goes~

Posts: 302 | From Kauai | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin did nothing for me. I tried it for over a month.

Levaquin is next for me he said. Its the "one" we didnt try.

I heard that you can get tendon issues with it.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can't take levaquin ~ it kicks my butt. so much excruciating pain i cannot even explain

but i know of alot of ppl who don't have any side effects from it

just be aware of the side effects when you're taking it

[ 01. June 2008, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: JillF ]

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive been on it for a month now......so far no major issues, and no major improvement either.

I get bits of good days, glimpses but that is about it.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not been on riphamin (sp?) but my LLMD has often mentioned putting me on it-and then switching her mind to other alternatives.

This is pretty much my last shot in terms of antibiotics. She's doing a mold test, cd57, igenex testing and most likely they will come back all normal-which will not give me a lot of options for going forward.

I still have classic lyme symptoms-like very hard time sleeping-waking up in the middle of the night due to numbness and pain-terrible migrains-and chronic fatigue-

I am really at a loss at what to do-she's saying that we've done everything and that I should consider detoxing now.

I just finished Rocephin in December and I'm on my 4th year of lyme treatment-but I just thought I would feel better if I was "cured" or whatever. Hopefully this blood work will come back and be able to tell me something.

It's so hard to be young (24) and not be able to still after 4 years to be "normal."

Any advice is welcome. I am kinda doing all this on my own. With no finacial assistance from family so please if you can give me advice-keep in mind that I am poor (especially after all this)

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aye smiles, i'm in the same boat

i have everything from the memory problems, word finding problems, attention/concentration/spatial problems, vision problems, chronic fatigue, muscle spasms, joint/muscle pain, occasional bone pain, charlie horses, twitches, sleep problems, stabbing/burning/tingling pains, i'm sore anywhere

i'm touched lightly, slurred speech, balance problems to stiffness, tooth pain where my crown is, tmj like symptoms, weakness in my legs, light and sound sensitivity, daily low grade fevers, night sweats and problems swallowing at times

i'm sure i'm forgetting stuff but meh. and these are all symptoms that i was being treated for that was considered a tickborn disease, whether lyme, bart or babs. i had additional symptoms before/during treatment that went away and most the symptoms i still have were worse before/during treatment(esp the pain but my memory/brain/verbal symptoms have only gotten worse the past year)

but i've been told by two well known llmd's that i'm cured. of course the 2nd llmd i went to said the first was wrong and i actually tested positive for babs (was treated for babs, bart and lyme) w/the 2nd llmd

it's odd when you're being treated for lyme/coinfections due to specific symptoms and then one day they say hey, these symptoms i've been treating you for, well they can no longer be due to a tickborn disease anymore so i don't know what to tell you...it just sucks

supposedly i'm ok cause my cd 57 was 126. yet i have all these symptoms and they have only gotten worse in the 1 1/2 yrs i stopped treatment. i'm much better than i was - some symptoms went away and the ones i have left over (minus the brain fog, memory, verbal stuff, etc) are better than they were before treatment but i have no idea what to do

maybe it's not lyme and i'm gonna stay sick forever. and my husband is going through the same thing. his cd 57 was 200. he, the llmd, myself - we all thought he was cured. all his symptoms were gone, he felt great. and the past year the symptoms have all returned and they're worse. they're all the normal lyme symptoms too

so, i don't know. maybe we're sick with something else. maybe it's left over symptoms that will never go away. i don't know why some ppl can't seem to get 100% better or at least close to it when others do

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Yes, lately I have increased numbness and tingling and loss of words. I haven't experienced that since before I did Rocephin (I just ended in Dec and did it for a little over a year). It was my magic drug. I infused and I could eat bread again without getting too sick, I had energy to work out, and I just felt so strong. I could run and my memory was back. It was amazing.

It's been 6 months since I stopped it and now I am feeling so sick again. I want to quit my job and go on disability. I never in a million years thought I would ever say that. I have worked through this whole process (except when I first came home from college-I spent 8 months at kaiser 8 hours a day doing testing).

Maybe my tests will come back horrible. My doctor is doing about 2 grand worth of testing-yikes and hopefully we get some answers!

Anyways, this is too depressing! I am normally so bright and shiny-maybe it's the levaquin who knows..but i feel like crap and will start crying hysterically for no reason. My emoitions are all over. It's so frustrating!

Thanks for your support!
Linds

tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Levaquin and have been a little over three months. I had done two rounds of Cipro at different times and gone the route of babs treatment in between.

In any case...Levaquin has the potential to kick your butt, but I do think that if you are one of the lucky ones that can tolerate it, it's a wonderful drug.

You do have to be aware of tendon issues and take it easy, but since I am so winded and exhausted, taking it easy is not that hard at all.

I know that those that have done well with it, call it one of their wonder drugs in getting better and good for Bart and BLO. So good luck and keep us posted.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Cathy,

Yes I suposed I forgot to mention that I won the jackpot and tested positive for babs, bart, and erlichia.

My bart and erlich tests have been negative for about a year now, but babs just won't quit. I have night sweats, arms and legs going completely numb in the night and waking up-My doctor finally put me on sleeping pills (lunesta) because she could see I was exhausted. She completely against them, and only gave me 7 days worth.haha but I have been begging for months. I just hope this is a herx and not me really getting sick again.

Thanks again for the support-it really means a lot-because no one really understands how hard this is. It's so hard! Especially hiding it from my work.

Linds

KauaiGoddess
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KauaiGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for more!

--------------------

Posts: 302 | From Kauai | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticked-offinNc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticked-offinNc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well honey, I was all ready to tell you all

about how much Levaquin has opened up a door in

my cloudy brain. But then I smelled something

burning. I got to the oven and there was my

homemade pound cake (for my kids bus driver)

erupting all over the oven. Must have forgot the

flour. Oh well.

Posts: 261 | From Piedmont | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

I have only been on this drug for 3 days and I feel like I am almost out of body. My emotions are ALL over the place. My joint pain is HORRIBLE-

It hasn't been this bad since before IV Rocephin. It hard to sit, stand, walk, type. I just can't believe it.

This drug is crazy! I want to cry-I wake up with my arm in severe pain completely numb or my legs fall asleep after seconds instead of minutes.

Suggestions? lyme kill off?

Thanks
Linds

Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all may want to read this info about Levaquin

Apparently it doesn't kill bart

This was posted on my other lyme site
I sent it to my LLMD and she heard about this as well and agrees. But who the heck really knows anything

http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/short/61/6/1252?rss=1

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter j
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter j     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Levaquin (500mg) for ten weeks and it didn't help me.. I was using with 40mg somac.

But it didn't give me any side effects neither..

KauaiGoddess: How long time did it go until you first felt improvement from the rifampin treatment?

Posts: 275 | From Home | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

I am trying to kill the babs not bart. I took a shower this morning and got so naucious I almost threw up.

The pain is also in my hips now. But it almost feels more muscular then joint. Like someone chuck baseballs at me.

I take two pills day but I do not know how many ml. Also my head is so fuzzy and I am exhausted. I must be herxing right?

mrpotto
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrpotto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to kill babs with levaquin???? Never heard of that.

I've been taking levaquin for bart for a couple months and I think it's helping some. Had some major herxing early on but not so much lately.

--------------------
dx in Dec 2003
tested 2x positive for bart
Lightly Chelating
3 weeks off abx and 1 week on:

10 day course a month: Plaq/Ceftin/Rifampin/Biaxin with Tindamax on last two days

Posts: 187 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

I'm taking Levaqin and Plaqunil-Maybe I'll see I can switch to Riphampin.

I tested positive for all three-but then neg for bart and erichilia (i had both forms of Erch) so because I am still testing positive for Babs and have classic lyme symptoms she doesn't know where to do-we done the mino, flagyl, doxy, mepron, malarone, septra, nasal spray, biaxin, and IV Rocephin for 15 months.

KauaiGoddess
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11782

Aloha~

My first day on Levaquin!!!!!

NO major pain...

some nausea, fatigue (drugged drowsy feeling) and some sharp toe pains...but really lots LOTS better than I had anticipated!

I am waiting for my period so I cried all day...but pretty sure that was the PUMPING hormones that are flooding my body...it's day 35 and still no period:(! geezes my hormones are wacked!

Anyways, thought I'd share....

Love & Smiles!

Fawne

--------------------

jamescase20
Unregistered

Guys, the Dr B Tickguide says to take a proton pump inhibitor with levaquine to improve absorbsion profile. Prilosec (omepraZOLE) just so happens to be a ZOLE drug. Flagyl is a ...zole drug also for ex. These drugs have proven anti parasitc activity! Serious! Read about this. For sure it assists in killing H. plori. I am starting to wonder that perhaps the failed levaquine people are the ones who didnt use the proton pump inhib. with the floroquones. (levaquine among others)
DeniseS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took Levaquin for over 4 months and other drugs in the quinalone family

Key things to know about it:

Don't take any caffeine with it - can really make you feel anxious if you do

Over time it has the cumulative effect of decreasing GABA binding in the brain. GABA is a calming chemical; it also helps you sleep. Everyone I know who has taken Levaquin has this effect. Some take benzos to help calm themselves down. I couldn't take benzos so I took the following:

GABA (empty stomach) (can't remember dose)
L-glycine (precursor to GABA) (empty stomach 500 - 1000 mg two times a day
Seriphos (one 15 min before each meal)
Magnesium (magnesium glycinate over 1 g a day)

At night
TranquilNite (herbs to increase body's own GABA production) (2 gels before bed)
100 mg Lyrica (causes weight gain but gives stage 4 sleep - this drug has been a lifesaver for me - rxed by LLMD psychiatrist)
1 pill of SOMA alternating with 2 Baclofen (also rxed by LLMD psych)

My LLMD advised me to beware of tendon aches that stayed in the same place. That would be cause to stop the drug. Migrating tendon pain was said to be okay. I did very light Tai Chi warm up exercises to help with the migrating tendon pain. It really helped.

Hope that's helpful,
D

Posts: 261 | From San Mateo, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KauaiGoddess
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11782

Aloha~

James-

I read about a proton pump inhibitor being taken with Levaquin too....

I need to research it more, to really understand...

Is anyone here doing this combo?

Noticed and difference/effectiveness?

smiles & hugs!

Fawne

--------------------

peter j
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter j     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KauaiGoddess: I've used levaquin with a proton pump inhibitor (somac) but I didn't get any effects from the combo.

Do you remember for how long you used the rifampin until you started felt better?

Posts: 275 | From Home | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KauaiGoddess
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11782

Aloha~

Peter-

ohh Rifampin was so great to me!

I began Rifampin on Dec 1st...

had some gnarly headaches and new foot pains (few other things too, forget at this moment)...but if was a steady improvement....

increased energy! better moods! clearer head! less night sweats! anxiety lots better!

put my tennis shoes on for the first time in 2 years! not jogging/running, but walks...with energy behind them!!!started paddling my surf board down in front my house...:)doing more rigorous yoga.... smiles! just great!

each month, was better and better....

by 6 months I am so amazed what it did for me---

I herxed way more on Rifampin than Levaquin, so far...only 4th day on Levaquin...so that's an early statement...

I hope my improvement keeps up the way it has been...

Love & Hugs!

Fawne

--------------------

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any more Levaquin experiences?

My LLMD DID prescribe Prevacid with the Levaquin to take twice a day. He also gave me a handout on the effects of the proton pump inhibitor,

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started taking the PPI with my Levaquin, didn't take it the first 6 weeks. Are you supposed to take it (the PPI) 2x/day?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

People here have reported taking it with no problems,

but nevertheless, you should be aware of the risks.

fqresearch.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement