LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rashes with Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rashes with Lyme?
Mackster
Member # 15300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mackster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any relation between Lyme and sun exposure causing rashes? I tend to break out in a very itchy, red rash on my arms, shoulders and upper back if I am out in the sun for more than 30 min, even with sunblock. I know this isnt the Doxy or Rifampin I am on because this rash first started February of 2007 (I was diagnosed April of this year).

I went to the beach last August and it got so bad it was all over my arms, stomach, chest, back and even creeping up my neck. I tried all sorts of creams and lotions and they would only work for about an hour...

Any ideas??

Posts: 5 | From VA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I was either diagnosed OR treated in any way, I had this symptom. I had become increasingly photo-sensitive the prior two summers to diagnosis. Rashes were a frequent result, big red splotches, etc. My eyes were also extremely sun & light sensitive. I also noticed a marked change in my HEAT sensitivity as well - just couldn't bear warmer temps (or colder, either, but I didn't discover that until AFTER the first diagnosed summer, during fall and winter!!!!).

I should add that I have been a mega careful, high SPF, properly applied for about a decade now, so it wasn't anything commonsensical like overexposure causing these symptoms.

And yes, with doxy I had INCREASED sun sensitiviy - but in a very different way, and to such a degree that I spent the last two summers indoors. This summer, I'm on Mino and it's better.

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hokie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I break out in rashes from the sun now (with sunscreen and even when there is no evidence of burn). Never used to unless I had absolutely fried myself on the beach like a moron (as a teenager).

Mine looks like "sun rash" or "sun poisoning." Didn't used to happen. Started four months into therapy and my first spring/summer since beginning treatment (but this is not my first spring/summer with BB).

Not sure what will help. Please let me know if you stumble across something.

Posts: 129 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaimeeS
Member # 11983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JaimeeS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be interested to hear if you stumble across anything also. My 1 year old was bitten by a tick, developed the bullseye, had a small course of treatment and now Dr. J thinks he's ok.

However, he also has a reaction from the sun. It's happened all last summer and already starting this summer.

But the funny thing is, we were in Hawaii last April - he was PERFECTLY FINE during that vacation - started with the sun rashes after the darn tick bite. I really believe they are caused or a reaction to Lyme (although Dr. J still thinks he's ok).

It baffles my mind as a mom - I feel so helpless
[Frown]

Posts: 65 | From Beacon Falls, CT | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mackster, are you saying that in Feb 2007 when you broke out in the rash, that you weren't on antibiotics at that time?

If so, I think you should consider one of the co-infections, such as Babesia.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be fungal yeasts?

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mackster
Member # 15300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mackster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure what it is...I am not sure exactly when I was bit but the last time I had any sort of fever or was sick like with the "flu" was January of 2007. The sun rash first happened in February.

I was just diagnosed in April of this year so no I wasnt on any abx when the rashes started. I got a negative for Bartonella though my doc thinks I am showing symptoms of it and I was exposed to Babesia but nothing absolutly positive came back from the tests. I dont really have distinct Babesia symptoms just a few here and there that also seem to match the Lyme and Bartonella...

I dont think its the fungal yeasts. I was looking at that yesterday and the rashes dont stay on my skin all year round or anything. Only after slight sunburns (with sunblock) and they last for a week max.

I go back to my LLMD in a couple weeks for a checkup and I will ask him and let ya know if he has any explanations [Smile]

Posts: 5 | From VA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also extremely sensitive to the heat....I am Sicilian and used to tan very easily but not anymore. I burn now and get a bad itchy rash.

My eyes are also very sensitive and I can barely stand the sun or heat (and cold). Seems there is no happy medium anymore.

I hope this goes away with more treatment.

Posts: 261 | From NW Pa ~ Crawford County | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've started getting heat-like rashes this year upon exposure to the sun, mostly on my face and arms. Small red bumps that often itch, and they are often accompanied by sweats. It's only spring, too, so I dread July and August.

I got a few mosquito bites the other night, and they look horrible and itch like crazy to boot. A couple of them are actually oozing clear liquid.

I'm positive for Lyme and babesia - I'm sure I have more than those two though.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had small, red bumps that turned into a rash. They have recently increased so much that my PCP sent me to a dermotologist. The results were "reaction to medication" or general allergic reaction. I have been on tetra.

Since we have had sunny days, even though my arms and legs were covered, the rash got much worse. The Dr. suspects sun sensitivity. I truly hope it is just the tetra because I am a sun worshiper! I've not had problems in the past summers when I'm on biaxin/plaquenil combo.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mackster, I didn't test positive for Babesia either, but I have had those rashes also, and they are responding to anti Babesia meds (plaquenil, artemesinin, Enula, boneset tea).

You could try some anti-Babesia topicals on it and see what happens, like artemesinin gel. If it makes the rash go away and you herx, then you most likely have Babs.

If you have a rife machine or have access to a rife machine, you could also try rifing with anti Babesia frequencies and see if you herx. That's what I did.

Good luck,

Patti

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sun poisoning comes in several forms.

I had it once... long before Lyme... after falling asleep on a tin roof when the sun reflected off the metal and ouch ouch ouch!

And for a small fee I'll tell you why I was on the tin roof and why 95 percent of my body was burned.. and about the "rescue".

[lol]

Here is a site with some pics. Hope it helps.

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/dermnet/sunpoisoning4.html

Once you get sun poison... you can easily get it again... so do be careful.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found this.. quite interesting. Note last paragraph... one of the Lyme/coinfection meds.

```````````````````````````````````````````````

How are allergic reactions to the sun treated?

Beyond staying in the shade, wearing protective clothing and using sunscreen, we recommend topical corticosteroids to treat the rash.

Some are over-the-counter, such as hydrocortisone, but that's not very potent.

The more severe reactions require a prescription cortisone cream or ointment. For very severe reactions, we have to use oral cortisone to bring down the inflammation.

If we know that someone has polymorphous light eruption every summer, we may give them ultraviolet light treatment as a way to desensitize the skin in the spring.

It's almost like you're going to an allergist for allergy shots. By exposing your skin to ultraviolet light, your system gets used to it. Usually we do about 15 treatments.

The second approach to treat a rash is to use a medication called Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine), which is an antimalarial agent that has been used for various skin conditions; it works quite well for polymorphous light eruption.

http://www.dentalplans.com/Dental-Health-Articles/Are-You-Allergic-to-the-Sun-.asp

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I was diagnosised I would get bad sunburn while wearing spf 50 all over. I was thinking the sunblock was no good, but my wife would use it and not get burned. I always thought that was strange and wondered if there was a conection.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skin is an organ system that has detoxification as one of its prime functions.

Vitamin D, which is produced in the skin as a consequence of ultraviolet light energy falling on sucutaneous cholesterol molecules, is a potent metabolic stimulant.

Lymies tend to have low vitamin D levels, and often will have sluggish metabolisms as a result of this, so when a surge in vitamin D level takes place, there will be a sudden surge in metabolism, and a reaction to accumulated subcutaneous toxins as the body attempts to rid itself of these.

One could consider the skin reaction a Herxheimer reaction.

This of course is theoretical. It might be true for some, but not others. Everybody is different.

[ 05. June 2008, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: DoctorLuddite ]

Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

Google - Photo Toxic --

Babs causes a rash that Itches like crazy -
small red raised bumps - looks similar to
prickly Heat rash bit a little bigger -

Can have a nerve reaction were scratching
one bump -can feel it in a different
part of the body --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement