LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mycoplasma or hemobartonella on a fry smear?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mycoplasma or hemobartonella on a fry smear?
asus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had a fry labs test? I got mine back today (before I got the results of my IGX test, my rickettsia test, CD57 and HLA tests) and it says that all my titers are negative to Bart, Anaplasma, Babs, and Erlichia, but the stain slide picture says:

"Few coccobacilli adherent to erythrocytes indicated with an arrow. This is suggestive of Hemobartonella or Mycoplasma spp. This stain is not FDA approved and is for Research use only"

Has anyone gotten this result? How accurate is the Fry smear? Plus, I thought mycoplasma were intracellular and can't be seen/cultured on a smear? How do they know its not just junk floating around on my slide?

I did feel better after only a week on Zithromax, so now they are trying to figure out why. I previously carried a CFS diagnosis w/ sudden onset fatigue and other symptoms, but didn't seem to respond as expected to antivirals.

thoughts?

thanks

asus

Posts: 116 | From Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chamade
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chamade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't know...that's why they say that it's suggestive. Personally I would treat with longterm abx if you responded to therapy initially.

--------------------
Why me? Well, why not me???

Posts: 411 | From San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree go back on long term antibiotics, no test is 100% accurate and a lyme literate Md will treat based on your symptoms.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I was never on long term ABX. I was on nothing (you are tired/crazy, just take it easy), then Valcyte (you have HHV6 - maybe - did nothing), and then I took 5 days of zith for something totally unrelated but all of my symptoms improved unexpectedly. So as a result a bunch of tests were sent off, including this fry labs thing...

Just trying to find out more info about this test. I think I'll call the lab and see what they say. Or have my Dr. do it...

asus

Posts: 116 | From Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asus,

my Fry Labs blood slide came back with exactly the same reading as yours. This was last month.

I called them to clarify and they said "bartonella of the blood". Search Hemobartonella for a recent discussion on this.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement