LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cheap solution for severe anxiety/insomnia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheap solution for severe anxiety/insomnia
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 5 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not able to do basic self care after artemesia for wormwoood or 4
minute rife for lyme. Bad anx/insomnia is overwhelming, and previous
ambien now not covered by ins. ($6/pill???)]

Please help. New doc i hope tomorrow will respond to request for med
if I have suggestions. I just can't go on without help.

Family situation recently lost; seems all family support/live in/etc.
So scared and trying to fight for life.

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To relax, it could help if you drink some chamomile tea; and take a warm bath with epsom salts.

Keep hydrated, and take a magnesium supplement if you have one on hand. A small amount of valerian is an herb that can help aid with relaxation and sleep.

I am not a doctor, but base this advice on my own experience.

Hang in there -- you will see your doctor tomorrow, and tomorrow will be here very soon! Hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband uses Solaray's Nerve Blend Sp-14 for anxiety.

You might add more valerian to it for sleep .. but the nerve blend itself may work for insomnia too. It does contain some valerian root.

I think it's only about $8 a bottle.

HUGS to you in your situation, Susan. [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Relaxation CDs from Dr. Jeffrey Thompson or a company called Hemi-sync help me alot.

They have special binaural beats mixed in with the music & they help you to relax. There are different beats for what is called "brainwave entrainment".

You can get Alpha, Theta, or Delta, etc. Theta is good for meditation & Delta is good for sleep. They cost about $15 or $20 each. They are very helpful for insomnia & anxiety.

Hemi-sync - http://www.hemisyncforyou.com/

Dr, Jeffrey Thompson - http://www.amazon.com/Dr.-Jeffrey-Thompson/e/B000AQ2OO4

Pain can cause anxiety & insomnia. I'm not sure if that's your problem. I take Vicodin or Oxycontin & it helps with both issues due to pain.

This way I don't need to take Ambien or other more problematic drugs. People have been using opiods to treat pain for thousands of years.

The concept of addiction is overblown for people with chronic pain. Very few people with chronic pain become addicted to pain killers.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
l-theanine is relatively cheap and can help with mood problems. SAM-e is more expensive, but can work as well an antidepressants for many people.

Valerian or any of the sleep herbs are calming in general and help with mood issues -- passionflower, hops, chamomile, lemon balm and catnip are all good.

5-HTP is very good for sleep, but may need to take Resveratrol with this.

Also need B6 with magnesium -- take both together. May also need Resveratrol with the B vitamins.

This is not medical advice, just info based on hubby's experiences.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 2 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for +time to help. Hope to find simple solution and not too expensive. Will look into suggestions.

Any more?

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd uses mostly natural things and she avoides when she can suplement the drugs.

OK ...I used to be awake all night -1 weeks without sleeping at all last year.

And on and off nights with beeing awake up to 5 in the morning .Or wake up at 3 am and walking around with brain swelling up to the morning.

The only thing while treating BART AND LYME MOSTLY even though I had ALL coinfections..was taking :

MELATONIN up to 2 pills Pharmaceutical grade with 3mg each .

ANd or if I needed a stronger thing to make me sleep if sleep was interupted SOMNOLIN from METAGENICS in which is a high B12 , B6 and folate included .

These two made sure I sleep and have no side efectc.

Also melatonin -i still use it regurarly as it is kind of detoxifying the brain also ( can not recall where I have read it -but if you insist I will have to find it for you).

These are natural and have less if at all side efects.You do not need perscription.Do shopping on GOOGLE!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a generic for ambien, its called zolpidem (i dont know if i am spelling it right)
Posts: 615 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried the generic Ambien & it wasn't as effective as the brand name. It wasn't that much cheaper, either.

I still have pretty bad insomnia most of the time. I hate when the sun starts coming up & I still can't sleep...

I tried all the herbal stuff/supplements & it didn't help me much. Everyone is different, though.

I think being on the Cowden protocol has helped a bit.

It's probably a confluence of things. It could also be a hormone imbalance - which may be caused by the Lyme.

I don't think it helps to get stressed out because you can get to sleep like regular people do. That just adds to the stress.

Sometimes you just have to accept it & try to do the best you can. Sometimes, I have to sleep a whole day to make up for lost sleep other days.

It makes it hard to do many practical, everyday stuff - like having a job or getting to the bank on time...

You aren't alone.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxycycline RX 200 mg twice daily. Be careful with the sun because it makes you more susceptible.

Take doxycycline 2 hours apart from any vitamins, minerals, mild products,
etc.

Have a little some in your stomach when you take it, and don't lie down for at least an hour to avoid stomach upset.

Within a week you should feel the difference.

In my experience,
CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klonopin is a cheap presription drug that is given for anxiety and also makes you sleepy.

Its related to valium, which means you will become physically dependent on it after taking it for a couple of weeks. You have to ween off of it slowly.

Also, can be addictive, which is different than physically dependent. addictive means you begin taking more and more of the drug to increase its effects.

I take a little at night to help me fall asleep.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

re: "addictive means you begin taking more and more of the drug to increase its effects."

This is not the definition of addiction. I think you mean "tolerance".

When you become "tolerant" to a drug, you need more to have the same effect as when you first started taking it. It doesn't mean you are addicted to it.

Addiction means you have to take it to get high or maintain a level state of being because you physically or psychologically need it. If you stop taking the substance, you will become physically ill from withdrawal.

Most people become addicted to anti-depressants & other drugs because you can't just stop them without becoming physically ill. They don't really tell you that it's addiction but it is.

In my opinion, it's best not to get started with something you can't stop - unless it's life or death. Everyone is different, though.

foggedup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foggedup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our family first discovered Bachs Rescue Remedy in 1990, because my then, 2 year old son, would fly out of control. Just a couple of drops under his tongue and he would calm down, crawl into my lap for a story.

I have used it for anxiety attacks, with both my daughter and myself. Please read the link below, and I hope you will find some relief. If you do a search here on Lymenet, there are maybe close to 20 posts recommending it.

I just noticed they have a rescue sleep, but rescue remedy might be more of what you are searching for.

http://www.bachflower.com

Take care of yourself.
Foggedup

Posts: 106 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

I used to be a certified insomniac. It got worse with abx treatment

I take a shot of apple cider vinegar every night now before bed and I sleep like a baby. Works every time.

ralph
Unregistered

To deal with possible emotional stress contributing to the insomnia, you may want to check out www.mercola.com

On that site, you can search for the EFT manual
EFT is short for Emotional Freedom Technique.

I have seen it help some people greatly, and you can do it to yourself after reviewing the short manual.

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vistaril has worked for me for both insomnia and anxiety. i take none or up to 3 before bed and both are controlled. sometimes i need more -sometimes none. the generic drug is missing one ingredient and doesn't work for me. i have taken this over ten years-not addictive-and i am not groggy in morning and don't have other side affects. it also helped my mom at higher doses when her anxiety from lyme was off the chart.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement