LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SPECT scan tomorrow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SPECT scan tomorrow
trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I need to avoid caffeine and ciggarretes (yes unfortunately I am a smoker and am going on the patch soon to try and quit) 24 hours prior to test? How do I prepare? THANKS! [Smile]
Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe07
Member # 15663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chloe07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Columbia University requests that you have No Caffeine (Coffee, Chocolate) or Smoke (anything) 12 hours before a SPECT scan.

If you can't without going into withdrawl, than let your LLMD know, for sure.

--------------------
"The greatest revenge is to accomplish what others say you cannot"

Posts: 6 | From New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nessa1815
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nessa1815     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly is that kind of test? If you don't mind me asking?

--------------------
"~*~My smile hides my bite~*~."

Posts: 506 | From N/A | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe07
Member # 15663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chloe07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A SPECT scan is a type of nuclear imaging test that shows how blood flows to your tissues and organs.

You are injected with a chemical that is radioactive tracer, asked to rest for 45 mins (without talking at ALL), during the test a 3-headed machine rotates around your head while you stay as still as you can. It's pretty easy. [Smile]

A SPECT scan is used to view how blood flows through and in the brain. It is more sensitive than both MRI or CT scanning because it can detect reduced blood flow to injured sites.

With Lyme disease, it is helpful in the differential diagnosis, though it cannot make a Lyme diagnosis on its own. Certain findings (Like Global Hypoperfusion, and others) are found more so in Lyme patients, and are more suggestive of Lyme than say...as psychological disorder (or whatever the physician is trying to rule out).

http://columbia-lyme.org/flatp/brainimg.html

--------------------
"The greatest revenge is to accomplish what others say you cannot"

Posts: 6 | From New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! Let us know how it goes!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trish,

I am pretty certain that you need to abstain

from ciggarettes, and all forms of caffeine

(yes including chocolate) 24 hours before,

not 12. They should have told you this when

you made the appt.

My daughter and I both had a spect scan.

I hope you are having it done at Columbia Prsb.

in NY. I was told that the patterns of

patients with Lyme, MS and Lupus are different.

With both of our tests the "pattern" was indicative to

Lyme. I needed to see this as I was living

with an MS diagnosis for a very long time, and

it reassured me that I am truly on the right

path now.

Other than cutting out the caffeine, there is

nothing else to do, maybe bring a book.

My daughter is horrible with any needle situation,

she was fine when they injected the tracer.

The nurses and techs are really sharp (no pun intended)

and accurate.

To my delight, the machine does not make

that awful noise of the MRI.

Good luck tomorrow.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone...yeah I think it is 24 hours but Ive already smoked ciggarettes today, I hope it will be alright. I am not going to smoke anymore until after the test. Yes I am going to columbia presbytrian, luckily I only live 30 minutes from there. Im leaving tomorrow at 7am to have a pregnancy test (even though i dont need it, its the law) and than the test is at 10. Did anyone who had this test ask for a sedative to help keep still for so long?
Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement