LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bartonella survey - did your treatment work?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bartonella survey - did your treatment work?
Momfromtexas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momfromtexas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new word on Bart is that all the current treatments don't work.

Since Bart is thought to give some of the worst symptoms of all the coinfections, I think many of us would like to know if there is anyone out there who has recovered from Bart and what worked.

Many in the past said Levaquin seemed to work, and this is what Dr B recommends in his video presentation on the ILADS site.

Any of you take Levaquin and relapse later? How about the alternative Rifampin?

If you had a positive test for Bart, you were treated for Bart, then tested negative and the symptoms have not come back please share your story?

One of the issues is that there is a BOL (Bartenella Like Organism) that does not show a positive test.

So, if you had all the Bart symptoms but tested negative, were treated for Bart and the symptoms went away for good, share that also.

If you had failures share that also, and what failed.

Was there another survey on here and I missed it?

If so, let me know and we can pull that forward.

[ 12. June 2008, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Momfromtexas ]

Posts: 349 | From usa | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What--has it just evolved to be resistant to

everything? Where did you hear this about it?

I have B. Henselae, and have experienced

no improvement despite having taken abx for 7

months (I started txment relatively soon after

my bite.) I'm going to start Bactrim for it

this week, so if anyone's beaten it with that,

please do tell!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bart was easy for me .... 12 weeks levaquin followed up by 6 weeks of Rifampin. It hasn't come back.

I tested negative and symptoms resolved with treatment.

Now my babs .... that's a whole different story .... 17 months and still treating.

I think it's just different for everyone.

I also think it depends when you got it .... I believe I contracted Lyme/bart 35 years ago but only got babs 5 years ago. So my bart could have been an older strain that was easier to fight whereas I got newly exposed to Lyme and babs .... just a theory because I know others have a tough time with it.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 1/2 yrs off antibiotics now - Bart is definitely gone. I was treated with Rifampin.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had lyme, babs, and bart.

I tested positive for bart through IgeneX. I took Levaquin and then Bactim DS (double strength) for a total of about 7 months.

I have been off meds for over 3 years and symptom-free, so I'd say it cured me.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin combo for 9 months, now Levaquin combo for two so far.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin has done a real good job so far after 4 months. I told my LLMD I thought it was there for the taking and I would like to switch back to a rifampin combo to finish it off.

Oh and I did a doxy rifampin combo for a month prior to the levaquin. This sent my anxiety and rage through the roof and it was really rough. Rifampin scares me which is all the more reason to do it.

I have asked for something else other than doxy with the rifampin this time. I will also be switching to IV for the lyme.

I will chime back in and tell you how it goes.

Bart has been the worst. It really has.

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I treated bart with Cipro for 2 months but had to stop (tendon problems) -- but it took the edge off. Could not resume treatment for several months due to liver problems, and then began Rifampin, which I have been taking for almost 9 months. Bartonella in all of this time has *improved* but is definitely not gone.

Houttuynia has been extremely helpful and I believe at high doses it is comparable to Rifampin: it seems to have the same "action" in my body in terms of which symptoms it hits. I have been taking that at high doses since May or June.

I started Mepron for babesia less than 2 months ago and I think hitting the babesia is now helping with my bartonella treatment.

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you for this thread.

can those on rifampin "combo" please mention what else they took with rifampin

i have never tested pos for bart but i have a lot of symptoms

started rifampin alone last week and herxed big time immediately with pain, fatigue and psyc stuff that was very scarey-anx, dep, uncontrolled crying...scarey -messed up thinking(not suicidal tho)

i am continuing rifampin at only 150 am and 150 pm - still herxing but can handle it. maybe when load is knocked down i can get up tp 600 once a day

again thanks for this post...

oh-ps-this is important:

one of herx pains was very bad pain in nodules under my left ribs. i have had this pain getting worse for 3 years. had ct, ultrasound, palpitation by many docs-noone can figure it out. first time i take rifampin-poof-pain right in that spot.

my llmd says he has had patients with lots of nodules on spleen go away with tx-he said don't worry about testing anymore -just tx...

so now i get really happy when i have pain under my ribs...wierd disease(s) - but we'll see

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymeinhell-

how long did you treat with rifampin?

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Doxy , rifampin and azithromax...that was my first combo ...than later added herbs that are mentioned above

[ 21. November 2008, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Alv ]

bears1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bears1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to say...thankyou for this thread. I really appreciate the testimonials.
Posts: 136 | From Arizona | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickbattler
Unregistered

Yes, this is a very useful thread. My husband is treating bart now with Levaquin. Several bart symptoms have abated and he has been on it for 2 months.

I'm curious, did any of you have headaches from bart that cleared with treatment? If so, how long into treatment did it take for them to clear? (We've been trying to figure out the source of my husband's constant headache!)

Thanks,

tickbattler

Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever taken levaquin, minocycline, flagyl AND rifampin? DH has been on the first three and is supposed to add in the rifampin.

Good thread.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

It has been me and ..yes MY HEADaches were horrible -brain swelling ...21 months in a row...
Stoped when bart load was low...kpet treting it..

HAD BART god knows...for decades

shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10 weeks rifampin/zith/doy, followed by almost a year of bactrim/zith..off meds 6 weeks and doing ok..had a really bad case of bart.
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Still dealing with bart here.

I think it would also be helpful if people would state what kind of headaches they have or had because babs can cause headaches as well.

I was getting really bad headaches around my eye area and sinuses which are suppose to be a bart symptom not babs. I did Biaxin for many months but have not done Cipro or Levaquin or typical hardcore bart meds.

Currently I am doing Resveratrol and Buhner's herbs for bart along with A-Bart a tincture. I still get some sinus type headaches but nothing like I was getting where I had to go to bed for two days with intense pain.

I don't know if the Biaxin made the intense headaches go away or the herbal treatment. I am hoping they do not return ever! I would get them the minute I would over do when I should have been resting instead.

[ 23. November 2008, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Angelica ]

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the problem is that many are dealing with Bartonella, Mycoplasma and the mystery bug all. Or some combo of those 3. That is why what works for some won't work for others in my opinion.

Hubby is still battling -- I think he has all 3 infections I mentioned.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't usually have headaches...but with my rifampin herx i am getting them

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

I think the problem with bart is that it seems to go into remission with abx treatment and then people think it is gone and a year or so later it comes back to haunt them.

I am hoping it is easier to treat or control eventually with the Bionic 880.

mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get various types of headaches that I attribute to Bart. One is a "ice pick" or "lightening" headache right on my left temple. It comes and goes. Another headache I get is in my neck and it goes up the back of my head. The headache I've had lately is mostly on the top of my head.
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frontal lobe headaches are most common in Bart. I had mild ones on occasion but that symptom has cleared totally now. Has been gone months.

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Ozone sauna

Gentimicin with ampicclin or minocin plused 5 days and 1 week off, for about30 days make sure its gone use live blood micro to verify...bart sits close to skin...bart likes the cooler areas.

jamescase20
Unregistered

"amp and Gent" I uncovered was used in hospitals for pats with infections of last resort.

I took it, and it really DID kill alot of bart, dont know if the amp did anything for it.

A study on bart showed gentimicin and doxy where the only 2 drugs that didnt create "super barts" (mutents that where resistent) and gentimicin was the only drug that was able to directly kill it.
Pubmed mentions doxy or minocin and gentimcin for 30 days might prove an interesting treatment for bart.

Doctors learned to use gentimicin in a new way to lower damage to you risks. They use a single daily dose...its higher in number of mg in a single dose, I used 160mg in one dose a day, in 5 day max stents. This way, the gent kills in a shock dose...then the body can clean up the gent toxins the rest of the day and recover for its next dose the NEXT DAY.

I used a tiny dose at first to watch for any alergies etc.

jamescase20
Unregistered

Usually you take a blood test after your 3rd gentimicin dose, but my duck told me, If I only used it for 5 days at a time, and used the single daily dose trick, and I knew what liver failure symtoms might be and was not stupid, I should be fine forgoing testing if I used it for 5 days only and took breaks of at least 5 days.

And I was fine, and I have a scope and saw alot of bart damage in my blood. And nothing else seemed to help but gentimicin.

Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband had very severe Bart, terrible shakes and tremors, cognetive issues very severe he had to cut down to almost nothing at work and he was a totally different person.

4 months of Levaquin and then 1 month of Cipro and he is 80% better is back to work 4 days a week and is his normall happy self - he is going on to Rizol MY with Rifadin just to make sure all is gone. He remains on Bicillin for Lyme but is a totally different person now.

I do believe you may need to hit it with diffferent combos for 4-8 months but again there are many different treatments available and lots of Gram Negative AB's that will treat Bart or BLO
and from what I have read the Aminoglycosides are showing great promise.....
Neomycin
Gentamicin
Tobramycin
Viomycin
Amikacin - Reserved for infections resistant to gentamicin and tobramycin.
Netilmicin - New
Spectinomycin

Does anyoe know if LLMDs are using carbapenems as they are now being used in increasing Gram-negative resistance?

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rianna,

Were the shakes and tremors a symptom of Bart for your husband?

I have been getting this symptom where I feel "trembly" late at night or even during the day sometimes too....almost like chills or shivers but I don't feel cold at all, just shakey, and my teeth want to chatter a little (though I don't really let them).

But it is NOT classic chills, just feeling shakey.

Does that sound like it could be Bart? It could be babesia too, but I wouldn't doubt it's Bart. Or, of course it could be any number of things for me.

Thanks!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread. I am about to start Rifampin (600mg daily) and Zith (250mg MWF). Have been on pulsed Doxy and Zith for 2 yrs and am almost 100% well. Still have some anxiety and mild manic feeling that comes and goes. Also twitching and mild stomach issues that come and go.

Would love to hear more about successful combos. Funny my LLMD never mentioned Neomycin etc..but I am curious about these as you never hear about them being used for Bart.

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hoosiers51:
[QB] Rianna, Were the shakes and tremors a symptom of Bart for your husband?I have been getting this symptom where I feel "trembly" late at night or even during the day sometimes too....almost like chills or shivers but I don't feel cold at all, just shakey, and my teeth want to chatter a little (though I don't really let them).

No his were tremors not shakes/chills, he could not hold his hands up or hold a coffee as it would go everywhere.

However.... what you mention is what I get and that is 'Classic' Babesia its like a shiver without a sweat that for me comes on late in the day, when I started babs treatment then my teeth literally chattered and I was shivering beyond belief. I am positive for Babs/Bart and Lyme [cussing]

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumping this thread. Anyone else?
Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Momfromtexas:
[QB] What about the new Bart herb HH (houttuynia)?

Not personally but I see many are having great success on Rizol MY with/after Bart Ab's

bears1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bears1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is RIZOL? I am taking Biaxin, Plaquenil, HH and Freeze Dried Garlic....any suggestions?
Posts: 136 | From Arizona | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement