LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » herbal- zhang,cowden or jernigans?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: herbal- zhang,cowden or jernigans?
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

i have been on abx. for 14 months now and would like to start adding an herbal protocol while still staying on abx. for now.

i have looked into all three. seems like most people lean either toward zhang or cowden.

i don't hear much about jernigan's protocol at all. i hear of 2 people completely cured by it, but haven't heard of anyone else even trying it.

can anyone give me feedback on any of these- if you have tried one of them, on it now, is it helping, has it cured you, etc?

thanks

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, the negatives i keep thinking regarding zhang is the garlic smell (i am a financial advisor so i can't be smelly while i am meeting with clients.

the cowden seems so involved- tons of tinctures and i am not all that great about timing things throughout the day. i never have a set schedule with anything.

so, i have to make a decision. i can't find much feedback regarding jernigan's so i am leaning either toward cowden or zhang.

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I am the odd man out, but I would suggest Buhner's protocol.

Hubby has not really tried Cowden -- have a couple of bottles of things I would like to try. He did use one bottle of parsley and one bottle of Burbur -- thought both were helpful for detox. Would reorder except for the cost. For him a bottle would probably only last a week and it adds up quickly.

Zhang -- hubby has tried two products. Do believe in the HH -- supposedly for Bart. All I know is that hubby says he can feel it in his brain. Also tried Circulation P -- not really sure if that helped or not.

As for Jerningan -- This was the first thing hubby tried when he was diagnosed -- even before antibiotics. At that time we did not have internet access and didn't know much about Lyme or herx reactions. Hubby ended up in the ER, hospital and psych ward several times during the month we were in Kansas.

Hubby probably would have had the same reaction to antibiotics. Personally Jernigan's Borrelogen is way too expensive in my opinion. I don't think any of the detox things he offers were helpful for hubby. Would try the Borrelogen again if I could afford it.

The only good thing hubby got from that whole experience was a positive PCR test for Lyme.

Would definitely suggest you add a fibrinolytic product -- Wobenzyme, Vitalzyme or whatever.

Hubby was on the Buhner protocol for about 4 months a couple of years ago. Remained stable on it, but did not get well. I wish sometimes that we had pushed for higher doses. Not sure that that would have worked though as Bart and Babs seem to be hubby's main issues. In my opinion Buhner's Lyme protocol is more effective than his protocols for coinfections.

Hubby only worked up to 4 andrographis daily. This was the hardest for him to take. I still have a couple of bottles of this that I plan to use up sometime. Hubby remains on Resveratrol and Sarsaparilla -- 6 capsules of each. He dropped the cat's claw -- this one never seemed to do much for him.

Good luck whatever you try.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm reading a book called "lyme disease solution" and guy supports the buhner protocol.

i think buhner has a web site also but i don't know what it s.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

You can read many reviews and look over these books at Amazon - you can scroll up and left of this page for the link.

Just two of many:

Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections by Stephen Harrod Buhner (Paperback - Jun 25, 2005)

-----------------------

The Lyme Disease Solution by Kenneth B. Singleton, M.D. and James A. Duke (Paperback - Feb 1, 2008)

=

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on the full Cowden protocol for about 45 days. I have felt some changes. I'm not taking any abx.

I sort of think it's counter-productive to take both abx & herbs. For now, I prefer to let the herbs do their thing. I'd like to give it the full 6 months to see if my body can kick the bacteria.

With abx, it just seems to me that your body is supressing the bacteria. I think this is why so many people relapse. It's a personal decision, though.

Cowden seems good but you do have to stick with the protocol & that means taking the tinctures about 6 times a day. It's a bit hard but it's not too bad. I can relate... I have an odd schedule, too.

I'm happy with the Cowden protocol so far. I think it's doing something. I can feel it. You have to give any herbal protocol some time to work. It's really a discipline to stick with it.

The principles of herbal healing is that your body eventually gains enough strength to heal itself. That doesn't happen with antibiotics. That's why it doesn't make alot of sense to me to do both, concurrently.

Just my opinion, though. It depends on a bunch of factors as to what protocol to choose.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymefreejp
Member # 15821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymefreejp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Cowden for 2.5 months and for the first time in my lyme life I feel like I have my life back. My head is clearer, my energy level is back to norm and I have the interest in life that I lost...just to name a few of the positive changes. I would recommend the COWDEN PROTOCOL to all those suffering w/ Lyme. It has ended my misery. Don't get me wrong, I do have my lyme days (and any herxing is the killing off, so I'm grateful for that)but the GREAT days far outway the bad! If anyone has a lyme doc who may be open to using the Cowden Protocol, please pm me.
Been dealing for 13 months. 5 of which were IV Zithromax. PICC line is out and Cowden is in!

--------------------
JP Phila

Posts: 7 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on day 22 of the Cowden Protocol. I like it so far. Nice break from taking all those pills.

Having a some old brain symptoms that returned yesterday so laying low today and trying to figure things out.

I would recommend it so far.

I know the chart and all the bottles looks overwhelming.

I was uncertain if I would be able to do it.

But, so far so good. I think it is easier for me than the pills, IV, shots, etc.

Lyme hit me hard. I have difficult sitting upright, being on my feet, multi tasking and multi movement, reading etc.

Good luck to you.

I also like the idea of taking herbs and that it is dealing with heavy metals, anti fungals, bacteria, adrenals, detox, etc.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh, what exactly is cowden and how does it differ from buhner? i know buhner is a lot of herbs.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the full Cowden right now but while I was on ABX I used 20 drops of Samento as well. (10 drops 2 x per day) It was very effective, I think.

I just needed and ABX break after over 2 years and that's why I went to the Cowden. The drops do get a little annoying but not too bad.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear,

Here is a link to a brief overview of both Cowden, Zhang and Buhner protocols.

http://tinyurl.com/y3wm3n

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshinyday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshinyday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been doing Zhangs for two months along with some of Buhners protocal. I don''t have brain fog anymore. I feel good most of the time and am excited about progress. I am about to start removing the mercury from my mouth. I've heard that you will feel worse while you do that, but then you can get better. You see there are spaces under the mercury, root canals and caps where infections can hide, I've heard it can create some really dangerous pathogens which also weakens our imune system.

Just thought I'd [pass it along.]

Gail

--------------------
Gail

Posts: 234 | From Sterling, Ma | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Windmill
Member # 15404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Windmill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Maureen,

Have you read Stephen Buhners book? im doing his protocol after 20 months of antibiotics and feeling great. im herxing more on the herbs than ive done on most of the antibiotics even the IV ones. Even if you dont do his protocol the book is pretty informative. Im always intereting in Cowden and the other herbal protocols too and thinking of adding the Enula from nutramedix for Babesia.
it feels like a really good way to transition off anti-biotics by taking herbs that are killing lyme but also boosting ur immune system etc good luck with figuring out ur protocol, its really whatever appeals to you the most:)

Posts: 45 | From PA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

thank you everyone for the replies!

i forgot about buhner's protocol. i didn't read his book, will order it since i have heard great things about it.

i guess i'll read more about each protocol- seems like many have great results on zhangs, buhners, and cowden.

for those of you on cowden, are you taking every single one? how much does it cost a month? also, not sure how to figure out the recommended drops for me, I weigh 90 lbs. so i am assuming i don't take as many? although my llmd always has me on full dosage of abx, same as people 2x my size.

on the zhang protocol is there an effective way to stop that garlic smell- i thought someone mentioned taking something with it to minimize smell?

i guess there really aren't many trying jernigan's as i don't hear anything about this.

thanks!

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the full Cowden's protocol - everything is charted out for you. They give you a day to day chart of which herbs to take when.

I had a big response to the ENULA so I cut the dosage back a bit. Otherwise, it's all thought out for you. I guess that's why I liked this protocol the best. It was all planned out for 6 months & you just get the tinctures & follow along.

I got the herbs for free through my doctor. Nutramedix has a plan that each doctor who gets the herbs can get them for free for 6 months for 1 or 2 patients. I had to nag my doctor but it was worth it. I think the complete protocol is about $400 - 500 a month. I'm not sure if they are still doing this offer.

https://www.nutramedix.com/store/comersus_CowdenItems.asp

I have used non-Nutramedix tinctures but I think the Nutramedix ones are superior - even though they cost more.

With the Buhner protocol - you have to order everything yourself & figure it all out. It's not a bad thing but it is extra brain work. If you have brain fog - it's a bit much to think about.

I don't know anything about Zhang except that it's supposed to be very good for co-infections.

---

Great link Bea! Thanks.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

who is your llmd sparkle- i see dr. e in nj. so i was wondering if you saw someone in nj.

can't do buhner's then. i know how i am - not that i have brainfog so much, but i need to follow a simple plan. the thing that worries me about cowden is that there are soooooooo many tinctures and so many different times you need to take them.....

sparkle7
Member # 10397

My doctor is in CT. I mostly self treat. I don't have insurance - even if I did I don't think it would have helped.

You really have to be on top of it with discipline if you do the Buhner's protocol. Make sure you have everything & do it all the time... ie: take everything as scheduled in the right amounts.

If you dabble, it won't work. You have to stick with it & give it some time. You have to order the herbs separately from different sources with Buhner's protocol. It's not that hard but it's kind of a pain. It's also good to switch things around every once in a while so the spirochetes don't get used to the same herbs/dosages.

Cowden's protocol is easier - I think. You just have all the herb tinctures. You can stick em in a bag & take em with you - if necessary. You just need glasses of water throughout the day.

People do abx for years non-stop - so, you have to apply the same discipline to taking herbs.

I haven't done the Buhner herbs but I might after the Cowden protocol. It's really going well with the Cowden herbs, though.

I'm herxing but 1 group of herbs mellows it out a bit. I think it's very well thought out.

Also - grapefruit seed extract may be a cyst buster. There's a scientific study about it on PubMed. It might be good to take that every so often as you can bear it. Look up the recent thread about it for further info.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement