LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Update on my twin 4 year old boys' visit to Dr. J

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Update on my twin 4 year old boys' visit to Dr. J
tickbattler
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I have been watching one of my twins for the past year and actually took him to see Dr. J a year ago. At that time, he only had band 41 show up (Igenex) and his symptoms were so vague I couldn't determine if he had lyme or not. Dr. J suggested we treat him for at least a month of abx to see if anything changed. I couldn't determine if it had and I still wasn't sure about the lyme so I wasn't comfortable with longer treatment. I was new to the lyme world at that time.

I recently retested him through Igenex and while he was still negative, band 34 showed up with a few other lyme specific bands showing IND. I also tested him through Fry labs and his smear showed either bart or mycoplasma.

In the past couple of months, my other twin boy started saying his stomach hurt occasionally. He then started to become more emotional and sometimes said his head hurt. He would also say, "ouch" and I would ask what's wrong and he would point to a muscle and say that it hurts. This would go away after a couple seconds.

This would only happen 2 to 3 times/week. But knowing now what I know about lyme, I decided to have him tested too. Well, his test actually came back positive for lyme through Igenex with bands 31 and 41. And he had a positive bart titer for both quintana and hensalea, as well as bart or mycoplasma showing up on the smear.

Dr. J saw both boys last week and started them on zith 1/4 teasp twice a day as well as bactrim 1 teasp twice a day for the treatment of lyme and bart. We do this for the next 3 to 4 months until we see him again. Did any of you have success on this protocol?

He also tested us through the lab he likes to use now called Clongen. Did any of you get tested through this lab? We will have the results in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see if this is consistent with Fry.

Another interesting thing to note is that Dr. J said that bands 31 and 34 are very significant, and they both take a year to show up in testing. So my boys have been infected for at least a year.

It is so strange giving all these meds to my boys when they appear healthy and run around and play like other little boys. The rarely complain that something hurts. I hope I am doing the right thing. I do think I am because there are so many suspicious things. And I am terrified to take the chance that they get as sick as my husband is. I just can't believe that 3 out of 5 of us are infected.

I mentioned my symptoms for one twin above and the other one also has vague symptoms: he only sleeps about 10 or 10.5 hours which is really not enough for a boy his age. And he wakes up sometimes for 2 hours in the middle of the night. He blinks his eyes a lot and has mild sunlight sensitivity. He is ornery and often difficult. His ears turn bright red often. He has had numerous ear infections and gland and sinus infections. His colds always last 2 weeks.

I'd love to hear about your child's symptoms and treatment, especially if they sound similar to mine.

Thanks,

tickbattler

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
teresambear
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for teresambear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am awaiting my 4 year old son's Igenex results. He was tested last tuesday so I have atleast two weeks before I find out. He too is running around fine but gets the red ears ( pinna) which I have. Also every cold turns into bronchitis.

I am also worried because, I know I had lyme before he was born. It is a worry but thank goodness you know better. It is better to be informed now than on an uninformed road to disaster.

Best to you and your sons. Teresa

Posts: 115 | From warwick, new york | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soonermom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soonermom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, has anyone else been told that 31 & 34 take a year to show up in testing? I thought I just got sick last summer, but my IgeneX IgM came back with 31 ++++ and 34 ++, as well as numerous other bands being positive. I see Dr. C. and he didn't mention anything about that to me?? I guess it doesn't really matter, just curious.

I wish you the best with your boys. If my son tested positive and had symptoms, I would treat him also. You are probably sparing them a lot of agony down the road.

Stacey

--------------------
3/08 CDC Positive
IgM 18++ 23-25IND 31++++ 34++ 39+ 41+++ 58+ 83-93+

CDC Negative
IgG 31IND 39IND 41+++ 58+ 66+

Posts: 274 | From oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickbattler
Unregistered

Thanks for your kind words. After only 5 days of ABX, I feel that one of my boys is already doing better. He has not mentioned any pains or headache since the second day of the meds! By the time we started him on them, he was having some kind of symptom about once a day.

Good luck to you both!

tickbattler

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by soonermom:
Interesting, has anyone else been told that 31 & 34 take a year to show up in testing?

I've never heard that, but Dr J knows a lot about lyme.

tickbattler... I hope things go well for you and your sons!! Must be huge battle to keep them from eating sweets and the like!!

Best wishes to you and your family! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stacy, my LLMD saw my +++ at band 31 and said I had Lyme for a long time based on that.

My daughter was treated. Her main symptoms were headaches and learning disabilities. She also had occasional joint pain.

She was symptom-free after 5 months and got off meds after 8. She gets a headache only during menstruation (she's 14).

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:
Stacy, my LLMD saw my +++ at band 31 and said I had Lyme for a long time based on that.

Duh me! Yep, I've heard THAT! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickbattler
Unregistered

sixgoofykids-

Thanks for your encouraging note. Just curious, how long has your daughter been off meds? Do you feel that it is "cured" or are you concerned about relapses? I have heard that children often do very well with treatment.

Thanks so much,

tickbattler

RoadRunner
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever DR.J says go with that because he is the best.

RR

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this as long as Tutu and one of the only bands that keeps showing up as IND, the best I've done!) is 31.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tickbattler,

My children that are positive aren't as young as yours, but the only thing I can really say is that I can feel your heartache since all we want is for our children to be happy and HEALTHY.

This is a scary thing to go through as a parent. My daughters had very vague and general symptoms too, but since this lyme had crippled me, I was on alert and watching anything since there was no way I was going to let them get as sick as I did.

I will say that having Dr. J in your court is definitely the way to go. You are a wonderful mom. Try to hang in there. You ARE doing the right thing!!!!!

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lymednva:
I've had this as long as Tutu and one of the only bands that keeps showing up as IND, the best I've done!) is 31.

You made me go look at my test!!

I have band 31 [Roll Eyes] [bonk] [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tickbattler:
th Fry.

Another interesting thing to note is that Dr. J said that bands 31 and 34 are very significant, and they both take a year to show up in testing. So my boys have been infected for at least a year.

Thanks,

tickbattler

When we finally got my youngest's ASO titer down into the "normal" range he had 5 bands that were ++ or more including 31 & 34. He was actually CDC + - labcorp. Previously tested by Igenex with weak activety. He is also IgAD. Many things can effect the ability to "show" results but it doesn't change the actually dx.

He had few symptopms. Primarily - he fell down once in awhile for no apparent reason. He eventually had GERD, allergies, stomach problems and failure to thrive but all were slow. Only one of my children with lyme disease (a twin) is sickly and then she hides it pretty well from general population. Only I know how often she requests meds for pain in joints and for headaches, etc.

Not all things are ld with kids and because they are so resilent you will never see all the symptoms either.

--------------------
When I feel blue . . . . . . its time to take another breath

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement