LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone have trouble staying hydrated?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have trouble staying hydrated?
NJLyme82
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJLyme82     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drink several liters of water a day and it seems that I still remain dehydrated.

How do you guys stay hydrated?

--------------------
I was diagnosed with and treated for late stage Lyme in 1991 with 6 weeks of doxycycline. Initially felt better, but then developed health problems that last until today.

Posts: 83 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good question and I do hope someone that knows the answer comes along. I too have had some issues with that.

Actually I didn't know what was going on at the time, but they claimed my blood work was saying I was dehydrated and I swear, I was drinking constantly.

I always seem to have a bottle of water with me at all times, so I don't know what the heck goes whacky in our body to have them saying this.

Any ideas would be beneficial for me too, so good question. Thanks for asking it.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slappy2779
Member # 12193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slappy2779     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I have the same problem. I don't think there is an answer aside from getting those IV hydration things they do. (forget what they're called) I simply have some liquid with me, and drink almost non stop all day.

And I try to stay away from alot of caffine, since it in essence dehydrates you. That's the only advice I can come up with, if anyone has anything else I would LOVE to hear it also.

--------------------
C.D.C = "Country Doesn't Care"
Ticks are like Snipers, you don't know they're there, until you see the bullseye.

Posts: 86 | From Upstate New York | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got really dehydrated working in the hot/humid weather last weekend. A got an axe in the head, headache.

My LLND said that if you get dehydrated and then drink tons of water it just washes away what remaining electrolytes you have. Especially if you are not used to sweating a lot.

He gave me a bottle of E-lyte concentrate. I put a few capfuls in a glass of water twice a day (doesn't taste very good) and it seems to help me stay hydrated or at least keep electrolytes balanced.

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter takes a supplement called HydraCel, added to her water. It is distributed by Royal Bodycare. It helps her a lot.
Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well guys, I had a similar prob in the begining. Not sure if all my symptoms will relate to yours.
Unquenchable thirst w/ drinking a lots of water constantly and weight loss very quickly.

My doc believes it was a problem w/ the hypothalamus due to TBI's. It could have been triggering diabetes insipidus.

I was also having HBP & heart irregulaties so I was put on a HBP med. It all stopped shortly afterward. It would pop every up now and then but not near as sever as before.

I am now well enough to no longer be on the heart med and the thirst symptoms went away also.

Take care,

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How to create an electrolyte drink. In about 32 ounces of water put a tablespoon organic molasses for (potassium) 1/4 tablespoon unrefined sea salt 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon honey and drink as you get thirsty during the day instead of just water. Usually in about three or 4 days you'll start to rehydrate. It may take longer if you are severly dehydrated.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi......I made a chance discovery.

I have also had the hydration problem for years despite drinking tons of filtered water.

I started giving my husband one half cup of fresh lemon juice a day to control uric acid kidney stone formation.

I knew lemon is a great alkalizing agent. I decided I'd do it along with him. I have used lemon water for years but never in this quantity.

In two weeks I have noticed several positive changes. The most amazing is that the dry, hard and peeling skin around the fingernails is no more. In the past I tried many topical products. I have been using flax and fish oil for years and despite many benefits.....it did nothing for this hard dry skin.

I also notice that cuts and scrapes heal about twice as fast. I think I feel better all around and more alert.

How do we take it?
lemonade for one person:
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
enough water to make a quart
stevia to sweeten (about 1/8 teaspoon)

Yo, it's pretty tasty and refreshing. I seem to crave it.......great way to start the morning and great throughout the day.

The downside is the cost of lemons. I try to get organic if I can and have found they are not that much different in price.

I have a citrus juicer so when I come home with my lemon cache, I juice all of them at once. What we won't use in two days, I freeze in one half cup portions.

It takes a lot of lemons but I really think it is worth it. I'm planning on asking for case prices at one of the organic distributors in our area.

If you decide to try it, let me know how it goes for you.

Have a great day!!!

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Himalayan salt on my food. It's supposed to have all the minerals in it.

I've been away from home for two weeks and am thirsty all the time even though drinking a lot of water. Forgot to bring the salt with me.

If I had it now, I'd put it in water and used until I stop being thirsty.

It sounds strange, since salt usually MAKES you thirsty. But not this salt.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you get enough salt? If you drink lots of water and don't get electrolytes, you will never get hydrated.

I use Real Salt ... it is like the Himalayan Salt, which is also good .... and has properly balance minerals. When I get dehydrated, I put some right in my water, otherwise, I just freely use it on my food.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the real salt is another standby of mine. I also put it right in my water and use it liberally on food and seem to crave it.

It also helps with my low blood pressure.

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use this method, outlined in the book "Your Body's Many Cries for Water", by Dr. Batmanghelij

http://www.watercure.com

it's really helped me stay hydrated and purge toxins.

Very simple stuff. Just taking a certain amount of unrefined salt with water.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DakotasMom01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotasMom01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymie_in_md said::

""How to create an electrolyte drink. In about 32 ounces of water put a tablespoon organic molasses for (potassium) 1/4 tablespoon unrefined sea salt 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon honey and drink as you get thirsty during the day instead of just water. Usually in about three or 4 days you'll start to rehydrate. It may take longer if you are severly dehydrated.""

Has anyone tried the recipe above??? Does it really help ? Can regular molasses be used??

I drink water all day and it dosen't help, even with a bit of sea salt.

I am using saline nasal sprays, constantly and can't get the nose to stay hydrated, so I am haveing a hard time with breathing and choking.

I just came from the ENT, who had me get a sinus scan, and there are no obstructions. The ENT said everything is swollen, inflamed and dry, but No infections.

He didn't know what else to suggest, besides a humidifier.

Any input would be a great help.

Thanks

--------------------
Take Care,
DakotasMom01

Posts: 371 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From reading over the years, dehydration seems to be common amoung Chronic Fatigue patients. Whether they have lyme or another chronic infection remains to be seen but I think the two groups have many things in common.

Dehydration is a common problem with chronic fatigue patients. One hormone that is a problem for some chronic fatigue patients and for me (and I have no doubt that I have lyme based on test results) is aldosterone. Mine is low.

Aldosterone controls sodium and potassium which are key in electrolyte and fluid balance. Hypoaldosteronism (i.e. a lack of aldosterone) usually occurs as part of adrenal insufficiency.

Low Aldosterone causes dehydration, low blood pressure, hyperkalaemia (high potassium) and hyponatraemia (low sodium). My sodium and potassium levels are normal via blood tests but my aldosterone is very low and I have low blood pressure and feel dehydrated despite having a problem with fluid retention (edema).

Aldosterone is not going to be the problem for everyone but it is no doubt the problem for some of us.

Lyme is good at causing autoimmune diseases such as diabetes, lupus etc.. Sjogren's is an autoimmune disease that can be secondary to lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and I believe lyme.

Sjogrens affects the body's moisture-producing glands. It can cause dry eyes and mouth, dry skin, dryness of the nose, vagina, kidneys, lungs, liver, and blood vessels as well as debilitating fatigue and joint pain.

As was already mentioned, diabetes (another autoimmune disease) can cause dehydration. Seems like many long term, chronic lyme patients end up with diabetes.

These are possibilities to consider. There are other theories that you might want to consider by looking at dehydration and chronic fatigue and what chronic fatigue patients and doctors know and do about dehydration.

There are some good suggestions here. The book that Alison mentioned "Your Body's Many Cries for Water", by Dr. Batmanghelij is an excellent book that explains really well the devastating affects that dehydration have on our health.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curley911
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curley911     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have your thyroid checked, this is a sx of low thyroid
Posts: 982 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DakotasMom01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotasMom01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Terry & Curley

I had NO idea this was causing the the nose and breathing problems. I had a few sips of ginger ale and felt my nose clear right up in a few mins.

Yes, the rheummy said I had Sjogren's. But only said it causes dry eyes!! Its destroyed my teeth. Now affecting my breathing.

All my tests are neg, for RA, Lupus, Diabetes. I know they don't always mean much.

Have to check out the glands next.

I will look for the book you mentioned or see if they have a web site.

Thank you again.

--------------------
Take Care,
DakotasMom01

Posts: 371 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get thirsty alot but I also consume lots of SALT.

I love munching on salted sunflower kernels.

Never thought that salt would be a problem for me. My blood pressure is fine.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement