LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bartonella Findings in Fry Blood Smears - Please reconsider your Diagnosis!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bartonella Findings in Fry Blood Smears - Please reconsider your Diagnosis!
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this already in Galehanes thread about Hemobartonella but I think not many read it:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=067269

Fry Labs obviously have changed their minds about what they find in the blood smears. Since some weeks now, positive blood smears that earlier would have been labelled as ``Bartonella ssp'' are now diagnosed as ``Hemobartonella/Mycoplasma''.

Hemobartonella are NOT Bartonella! They belong to the Mycoplasma family and they need a DIFFERENT abx approach.

I called the lab and they said that on a blood smear the two different bugs look the same and without any further testing such as serology or DNA-testing one cannot say what it is.

I recommend everyone with a ``Bartonella-positive'' Fry blood smear to call the Lab and ask them what their diagnosis would be, if they would have to check your blood smear again today: would they call it Bartonella or Hemobartonella/Mycoplasma?

I had no response to Levaquin and Mino. This could be the explanation.

Gabrielle

[ 17. June 2008, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Gabrielle ]

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
galehane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for galehane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gabrielle

I believe you are right.

Let me just add that if people- having followed your advice and conclude that they may have had a questionable interpretation of their smears- that they take a look at the Hemobartonella/mycoplasma spp discussion.

They might have valuable information to add to the quest.

Gale

Posts: 268 | From europe | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraigC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraigC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got my results back from Fry, and it said "suggestive of hemobartonella or mycoplasma", yet the paper with the results of all my tests [including the smears] said negative. Talk about covering your bases. So if it is "suggestive" of either one, how can my test be concluded as negative?

--------------------
Craig

Posts: 207 | From Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats the sad thing about this disease, the testing is useless to this point.

its one big guessing game of treating and response.

i personally would not waste any more money on any testing until some more definitive testing became available, or, i needed it for documentation for IV coverage which ins will try to deny anyway...

bart and myco are sometimes both treated by the same drugs, levaquin will target both, as will mino.

hope things start working for you all soon.

i can certainly understand, ive been trying to treat what i suspect is bart/myco and it is very difficult.

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Porsche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You say now that Lev and Mino did nothing for you, yet I've read in your previous posts that you had to limit the Lev to half dose, as well as pulse it. Plus you were so tired on it that you stopped it for a week or two at least once or twice.

It sounds like it was working for you, and it would have worked much better if you had taken it at full dose.

The Tx for Myco is the same as for Bart, and Lev is one of the most effective drugs against it.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lev helped me and i have positive blood smear of bart at fry labs, but i also have myco pnumoniae.

like derek says testing is pathetic really.

Anyone know if zithro is good for myco, im due to go on that next for babs treatment.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truly unbelievable.

I had Bartonella spp and so did BOTH of my dogs.

I'll ask my LLMD about this "issue" during phone consult tomorrow and let you know what he says.

I'm going to bury my head in the sand. [rant]

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS> Gabrielle, you meant Bartonella SPP, right?

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please Clarisa let us know...as I and My son have the same thing going on....but we also have VEGF paterns as Your Doctor exsplain...maybe we have them both....as that is what muscle testing comes up.

For me and my son comes up as BARTand Mucoplasma....is that a diferent kind of bug--mutated somehow and playes and shows symtoms of both of them....I am so confused right now... [bonk] Do not know what to think anymore [confused] [shake]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Alv,

Come play with me in the tick-FREE sandbox!! [woohoo]

I've totally lost it.

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Porsche,

That's the question: did it work or was it only the side effects of Levaquin? Other people who take it for something else also get fatigued. Do they all have Mycoplasma?

If I had taken it at full dose (and who decides what is the full dose for a 115 lbs person?) I would have lost my job and at least I felt like I would have lost my life, too.

Clarissa,

Right, I meant spp.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gabrielle i weigh 100 and took 500mg, it didnt knock me down, BUT back in 2006 I couldnt tolerate this drug at all.

We are all just so different at each stage of this illness!

Maybe this is why my LLMD wasnt to concearned about the pos fry bart test and is moving on to babs treatment.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Porsche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gabrielle.

The dose of Lev is not decided upon from the weight of an individual, but by infection. The min dose for any adult without considering renal or liver problems is listed at 500 mg a day for this type of Tx. Some Dr's believe that 750 mg is needed for Bart and Myco.

So first, you cut the dose in half, and then you further mutilate the Tx protocol by only taking it 4 days on at 1/2 dose, and then 3 days off completely for each week.

Then you take a full week off after 1 month of taking it, and then you repeat this protocol for the following month or two. I look at what you wrote before, and it seems very clear to me that it was still working for you inspite of the giant reduction in dosing.

I can understand about work, but that has nothing to do with the untrue and misleading remark that you made in the first post that "it did nothing for me."

Maybe people do need to reconsider their Dx, but regardless, the Tx with Lev is still one of the best ones available against Mycoplasmas and Bart.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so important to clear up. Bartonella
or Haemobartonella? Obviously because of new
DNA testing things have changed but what does that mean in terms of older Fry findings of Bartonella. Was it really Haemobartonella Mycoplasma? that they were looking at all along? Should the treatment plan then be changed if
based on the new findings?

Everyone with Fry tests should be asking these
questions. I think that they are advanced enough
in their testing to be able to tell you if this
is Bartonella or Haemobartonella mycoplasma esp.
if they are using DNA tests to find it.

A new study relating to the Quinolones, Levaquin
and Bartonella suggests mutations with this drug
and advises not using it to treat Bartonella.

Articles by Angelakis, E.
Articles by Rolain, J.-M.

� The Author 2008. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original research

Heterogeneity of susceptibility to fluoroquinolones in Bartonella isolates from Australia reveals a natural mutation in gyrA
Emmanouil Angelakis1, Silpak Biswas1, Carmel Taylor2, Didier Raoult1 and Jean-Marc Rolain1,*
1 Unit� des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020, IFR 48, Facult� de M�decine et de Pharmacie Universit� de la M�diterran�e, 27 Bd Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France 2 Public Health Virology, Forensic and Scientific Services, 39 Kessels Road, Coopers Plains Q 4108, Australia

Received 24 October 2007; returned 17 December 2007; revised 29 January 2008; accepted 16 February 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Corresponding author. Tel:+33-491-38-55-17; Fax: +33-491-83-03-90; E-mail: [email protected]
Objectives: Bartonella sp. are intracellular bacteria associated with an increasing number of clinical manifestations but with few published data on in vitro susceptibility testing of antibiotics. Our objective was to evaluate in vitro antibiotic susceptibilities of 20 new Bartonella isolates from animals in Australia.

Methods: MICs were determined using Etest assay on Columbia agar supplemented with 5% horse blood. The presence of mutations in the quinolone-resistance-determining region (QRDR) of gyrA was searched for after PCR amplification and DNA sequencing using specific oligonucleotide primers.

Results: Bartonella isolates from Australia were susceptible to rifampicin, tetracyclines, β-lactam and macrolide compounds but were resistant to vancomycin. We found heterogeneity of susceptibility for fluoroquinolones with ciprofloxacin being more effective (MICs from 0.06 to 0.5 mg/L) than ofloxacin (MICs from 0.5 to 4 mg/L). This heterogeneity was linked to a natural mutation Ser-83Ala (Escherichia coli numbering) in the QRDR. Surprisingly, this mutation was also present in the QRDR of Bartonella henselae, Bartonella quintana and Bartonella bacilliformis.

Conclusions: Etest is a sensitive and reliable assay for evaluation of antibiotic susceptibility in the genus Bartonella. The higher sensitivity of this method allowed us to detect heterogeneity of susceptibility among fluoroquinolones that was associated with natural mutation in the QRDR of the DNA gyrase. Because a high level of resistance to fluoroquinolones due to a second mutation may be obtained easily in vitro, we believe that fluoroquinolone compounds should be avoided for the treatment of any Bartonella-related diseases.

Keywords: DNA gyrase , Etest diffusion assay , resistance

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tosho, Thank for that, the book looks great.

But no mention of the Haemobartonella findings.

Maybe one of his patients can ask him to clear
up the mystery of this new finding.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby just had a positive test from Fry at the end of April. It says: Moderate number of coccobacilli adherent to erythrocytes indicated with arrows. This is suggestive of Bartonella spp.

Test was ordered by a local doc, not LLMD. I asked LLMD about test results during phone consult last week. He said that Fry Lab was considered to be one of the best, and hubby's test indicated we should continue with levaquin and doxy with tindi pulses.

FYI, levaquin dose is 750 mg per day.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

interesting thread; thx for posting! [Wink]
Alv
Unregistered

I was wondering is that what we have coobacillis :

I recall the symotms started in GERMANY and I was never the same .But here in NORTH AMERIKA is the same problem.
http://www.corexcel.com/courses/body.bioterrorism4.htm

galehane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for galehane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I think everybody should realize that NOBODY knows for sure what we are dealing with here.

WE have one possibility only- to try to systemize experience with treatment and report related findings.

If you have this Hemobartonella/Mycoplasma spp finding you can do so in the other thread.

yours
Gale

Posts: 268 | From europe | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

quote:
Originally posted by Porsche:

I look at what you wrote before, and it seems very clear to me that it was still working for you inspite of the giant reduction in dosing.

I can understand about work, but that has nothing to do with the untrue and misleading remark that you made in the first post that "it did nothing for me."

Porsche,

I'm glad that you are so certain. So can I take this as your medical advice to go back on Levaquin and to take the "full" dose of 500 mgs daily for several months? Can you guarantee me that it won't harm me and that it will make me better?

Just asking because after 3 weeks of being off I'm still fatigued. My husband who took the full dose last year for 3 months (some weeks he even took 1.000 mgs) was fighting fatigue and exhaustion for several months after stopping the Levaquin).

Gabrielle

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE PET HEALTH LIBRARY
By Wendy C. Brooks, DVM, DipABVP
Educational Director, VeterinaryPartner.com

Feline Infectious Anemia

(also called feline hemotropic mycoplasmosis, infection by Hemobartonella felis, or infection by Mycoplasma haemofelis)

Parasitic organisms survive by attaching themselves to a host and using the host's body to thrive, generally at the host's expense. Parasites find themselves protected from the harsh temperature and moisture changes of the external world when they live within the rich, warm body of their host. The parasites this article concerns is a bacterium that attaches itself to the red blood cell membranes of its host, happily riding around, feeding and reproducing until the host's immune system sees it and begins destroying red blood cells in an attempt to remove it.

Hemobartonella felis (newly renamed Mycoplasma Haemophilus)

The agent of what has traditionally been called feline infectious anemia is an organism called (until recently) Hemobartonella felis. This creature is technically a bacterium but it's a member of a group of bacteria called mycoplasma. Mycoplasmas are different from other bacteria because they do not have a cell wall surrounding and protecting their microscopic bodies. They cannot be cultured in the lab like normal bacteria because they require living hosts.

-

Hemobartonella felis was first discovered in Africa in 1942 but it was not recognized as a mycoplasma until gene sequencing was possible recently. This has led to renaming Hemobartonella felis to Mycoplasma haemophilus, though after decades of celebrity we shall see if they new name becomes commonly used. Complicating matters further, gene sequencing has revealed a second species, previously thought to be another variant of Hemobartonella felis. This one, which is smaller, has been named Candidatus M haemominutum. This smaller mycoplasma seems to only be a problem for cats infected with the feline leukemia virus. The discussion that follows largely concerns Mycoplasma haemophilus.

The term feline infectious anemia has also recently felt to be inaccurate as there are many infectious organisms that might cause an anemia (lack of red blood cells). For this reason the disease itself has been re-named feline hemotropic mycoplasmosis, which literally means a blood infection of mycoplasma organisms in cats.

What Happens to the Infected Cat?

The infected cat's immune system is busy coating infected red blood cells with antibodies. Coated red blood cells are removed from the circulation by the spleen. This kills the organism, and the iron is harvested and recycled into new red blood cells. The problem is that so many red blood cells are being destroyed that the cat becomes anemic.

The infected sick cat is pale (sometimes even jaundiced) and weak. Anemic cats often eat dirt or litter in an attempt to consume iron. They may have a fever. The initial blood tests show not just red cell loss but a very responsive bone marrow (the source of new red blood cells), which means that the cat knows it is losing red cells and is trying to make more as quickly as possible to keep up. Cats with concurrent feline leukemia virus infection tend to have more severe anemias as the virus does not permit the bone marrow to respond.

When a cat is newly infected, it can take up to one month before adequate numbers of parasites are present to actually make the cat sick. Mortality is highest during the month following this initial stage. If the cat recovers, it becomes a carrier, though stress can re-activate the infection.

How is Diagnosis Confirmed?

Confirmation of diagnosis has been problematic since the discovery of the organism. Because it lacks a cell wall, Mycoplasma haemophilus cannot be cultured, which means one cannot simply culture a blood sample and isolate the organism the way one might isolate the organism causing something like a urinary tract infection.

Most reference labs scan all feline blood samples under the microscope looking for the characteristic appearance of infected red blood cells (see graphic at the top of the page). Unfortunately, the number of organisms cycles in a matter of hours such that the number of infected cells can change from 90% to 1% in a matter of 3 hours. This makes it very easy to miss infected cells, even in a grossly infected cat.

Luckily, PCR technology has made diagnosis easier, though carrier cats can still slip by. Unless organisms are actually seen on a blood smear, the PCR test is the type of test to request.

What Cats are at Risk?

The cats at highest risk are those that roam outside in the spring and summer (obviously these cats have the highest risk for flea infestation). Cats that are statistically likely to be infected are male cats younger than age 4 to 6 years, with a history of cat fights, and incomplete vaccination histories (in short, cats who've had somewhat casual care). Infection with the feline leukemia virus is also a factor in diagnosis. This may be because this immune-suppressive virus allows proliferation of the organism that is not possible in normal hosts or perhaps the anemia associated with the virus directly leads to a sicker cat who is thus more likely to see the veterinarian and be tested. Making matters worse, the presence of the mycoplasma seems to enhance the ability of the feline leukemia virus to create bone marrow cancers.

An abnormal immune system is absolutely not a necessity in infection with hemotropic mycoplasmas; normal cats are infected as well. Further, infection with feline immunodeficiency virus does not enhance the severity of hemotropic mycoplasma infection.

Blood sucking parasites such as fleas, ticks, lice, and mosquitoes are the leading candidates for spread of the organism. This makes flea control paramount in protection.

Cats can become infected by blood transfusion, though animal blood banks routinely screen donors so this is an unlikely route.

Infected mother cats appear to be able to infect their unborn or newly born kittens. Oral transmission is definitely possible.

Treatment

If hemotropic mycoplasma infection is suspected, initiating treatment is probably a good idea as treatment is much easier than diagnosis. All mycoplasma infections are susceptible to the use of tetracycline. In cats, the derivative doxycycline tends to be most easily dosed as it comes in an oral suspension. Tablets must be used with caution as they can stick in a cat's esophagus, cause irritation, and scarring. The quinolone class of antibiotics (enrofloxacin, etc.) is also effective against hemotropic mycoplasmas. Three weeks of medication is needed to adequately suppress the organism.

Killing the mycoplasma is only part of the therapy, however; it's the host's own immune system that is removing the red blood cells and this must be stopped. Prednisone or a similar steroid hormone is typically used to suppress this part of the immune system so that the red blood cells are not removed as quickly. Very sick cats will probably require blood transfusions to get through the brunt of the infection. Happily, prognosis is fair if the diagnosis is made in time as cats generally respond well and quickly to treatment.

Carrier cats are generally not treated.

Can Dogs be Infected?

There is an organism previously called Hemobartonella canis (now renamed Mycoplasma haemocanis). It's not generally considered to be a problem except in dogs who have lost their spleens and thus cannot effectively remove infected red blood cells. Gene sequencing suggests that Mycoplasma haemophilus may be able to disguise itself slightly when it lives in a dog's body. Blood from infected dogs, however, will not infect cats. It's not clear at this time what the relationship is between these two types of mycoplasma, but it appears that cats cannot infect dogs and dogs cannot infect cats. There is a hemotropic mycoplasma disease in dogs but it is separate from the kind in cats.

Date Published: 7/2/2004 11:07:00 AM

Link:
THE PET HEALTH LIBRARY

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So do you suggest a new type of mycoplasma?

Mathias, who has a lot of knowledge on "regular" mycoplasma posted these treatment guides;

might be interesting regarding treatment of this new kind of myco.
I have tried to find if myco can be treated with rifampin but cannot find any info on that.

Mycoplasma pneumoniae
Azithromycin (Zithromax)
Clarithromycin (Biaxin)
Erythromycin
Telithromycin (Ketek)
Dirithromycin (Dynabac)
Doxycycline or Minocycline or Tetracycline

Mycoplasma fermentans
Gemifloxacin (Factive)
Gaitifloxacin (Tequin)
Moxifloxacin (Avelox)
Clindamycin (Cleocin)
Levofloxacin (Levaquin)
Ciprofloxacin (Cipro)
Telithromycin (Ketek)

Mycoplasma hominis
Gemifloxacin (Factive)
Moxifloxacin (Avelox)
Gaitifloxacin (Tequin)
Clindamycin (Cleocin)
Ofloxacin (Floxin)
Levofloxacin (Levaquin)
Ciprofloxacin (Cipro)

Mycoplasma penetrans
Levofloxacin (Levaquin)
Ofloxacin (Floxin)
Telithromycin (Ketek)
Clarithromycin (Biaxin)
Azithromycin (Zithromax)
Doxycycline or Minocycline or Tetracycline
--------------------------

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not try some clindamycin instead of the flox-family?
Combined with zith for instance, what I see that would cover the mycoplasma groups on Mathias chart.

(I must say it is just soooo interesting that Dr. J in SC says on hois homepage that he has patients that do not respond on "normal" treatment for neuroborreliosis and he gives them IV CLINDAMYCIN and the response is great in 11/12 cases.)

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have previously tested positive by pcr for Mycoplasma fermentans, and recently by blood smear for hemobartonella/mycoplasma. So, does that mean I have/had two different mycoplasma species?

Was on a floroquinolone for three weeks several years ago which caused tendon damage. The hemobartonella/mycoplasma positive was long after that treatment, so it did not wipe out the germ.

Interesting (very) that clindamycin works well for some people, because it does for me. In fact, the combo of clindamycin + zithromax reversed a nearly disabling lower back condition, and in a pretty short time. It is still a good drug for me. Guess we are really just operating in a black box, trial and error, with drugs and suspected infections that may or may not have adequate tests or positive IDs.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

Gabrielle says:

So can I take this as your medical advice to go back on Levaquin and to take the "full" dose of 500 mgs daily for several months? Can you guarantee me that it won't harm me and that it will make me better?

You know that there are never any gaurantees with these drugs...there's too many variables that change with each individual.

I'm not saying that you should have ever taken Lev in the first place, or that it would be my choice agaist Bart and Myco.

All I am saying is that it appears to have still worked for you from your previous posts, even though you mutilated the treatment protocol so drastically. This is why we have such a problem with resistant and mutating bacteria in the world today IMO.

galehane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15437

Porsche says:

This is why we have such a problem with resistant and mutating bacteria in the world today IMO.

Dear gabi
hope you can bear the burden.

Gale

Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

quote:
Originally posted by galehane:
Porsche says:

This is why we have such a problem with resistant and mutating bacteria in the world today IMO.

Dear gabi
hope you can bear the burden.

Gale

No problem, if you want you can also blame me for the global warming and the high gasoline price. [Wink]

Gaby

LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone who has been diagnosed with hemobartonella have a picture of their Fry slide to post? I would be really curious if it looked any different. Or do any people with a very very recent Fry diagnosis of bartonella have a slide to post?
Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
galehane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15437

I hope people with the Hemobartonella/Mycoplasma finding will post their smears in the other thread " to everybody with a....".
Technically one has to scan the picture, send it to "photobucket" or the like and load it from there.

Gale

Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have previously tested positive by pcr for Mycoplasma fermentans, and recently by blood smear for hemobartonella/mycoplasma. So, does that mean I have/had two different mycoplasma species?
-------------

Lou, yes most definitely two different species. Both species may need similar long term treatment to eradicate those bad boys from your blood. Did you see Dr Nicolson's article in the Townsend letters about treatment of mycoplasmas? If not, let me know...I can fax them to you...

I had/have Bb, mycoplasma pneumonia (real nasty strain from some devious lab) but the MP has got back to normalcy.

Treepatrol, excellent post...as usual. [Smile]

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement