LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Parents- need help with article on children with TBD's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Parents- need help with article on children with TBD's
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since everyone has been so helpful on the misdiagnosis post, I thought I would get started on the next article... children with Lyme and TBD's

Can you answer this for me please?

1, Sex and age of child- no names please

2. State where you live

3. What diagnosis was given, if any, prior to learning your child had Lyme disease?

4. What TBD's were they eventually diagnosed with?

THANK YOU!!!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By responding to the questions, I will assume I have permission to use this information in an article. Again, no names will be used.

Thanks again!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

14 female

2. State where you live

OH, previously IN

3. What diagnosis was given, if any, prior to learning your child had Lyme disease?

low IQ (learning disabilities) Didn't qualify for IEP in small rural community in IN, but IEP was immediately suggested at new, large, suburban school with more resources.

Lyme Disease. Learning disabilities are pretty much resolved, still minor difficulties.

THANK YOU!!!!!

[Big Grin] [/QB][/QUOTE]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1, Sex and age of child- MALE /8 years old

2. State where you live/northeast usa /europe used too

hypoglucemia /high bilirubin /high jaundice sent back urgent in HOSPITAL back to Photo light machine in 3 days after was born/ear infections /sent to a surgeon for sore tonsils cronic problems /sore throght /persistant cough /bronchitis /GERD in /have heard anytime that had VERY HIGH FEVERES VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS associated with Vomiting and diarea /BREAK down in rashes around his thighs / any time was a shoot -induced high fevers for a week( never give them vacines shott -he will not get any as long as I will live) .Sensitive to breast feeding -special formula /colic baby .HAS BEEN SAID that the blood of parent was not compatible that is why the boy has JAUNDICE( they were so stupid -they have no clue what lyme was )

Now has been called as AUTISTIC -social problems socializing with kids.( even though IQ was high grades good so far ).Been 1 year in treatment as has improvement .

4. What TBD's were they eventually diagnosed with? born with Lyme /mucoplasma /bartonella but got reinfected several times in backyeard HIGH positive for babesia Microti -Northeastern strain not european , reinfected with tick enchephalitis -turned IN NEUROLYME .

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Female, 10
2. TX
3. Anxiety, Depression, Migraines, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, Psychosomatic, OCD
4. Lyme Disease

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsigel
Member # 11810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsigel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Female 17, sick since 14

2. PA

3. Chronic Daily Headache, New persistent daily headache, status migrainosis, EBV, pituitary enlargement-but was told that is typical in teenage girls.

4. Lyme, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia

Posts: 41 | From Warfordsburg,PA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. One girl age 5 at diagnosis.

One boy age 4 at diagnosis.

2. Live in Southeast Louisiana.

3. No diagnosis given other than Bacterial pneumonia (2 x in 10 days for daughter)

Slow to develop physically (son whom I was told not to compare him to his sister [shake] )

"Normal" complaints of children their ages of aches, pains, headaches, etc.

4. Daughter diagnosed with Lyme and babesia (thus far)

Son diagnosed with Lyme only thus far.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikej2323
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikej2323     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently 14-years old- was 11-years old when symptoms first began.

2. State where you live
She lives in NW Iowa.

Possible cyst or tumor
Guillain-Barre' Syndrome
Multifocal Motor Neuropathy
Myasthenia Gravis
Mycotoxicosis
West Nile Virus
Motor Neuron Syndrome
Chiari Malformation/Syringomyelia

Borrelia: Clinically diagnosed by two MD's. Testing included Bowen's QRIBb; highest at 1:128. Positive for mycoplasma pneumoniae three times; twice by serology and once in CSF. Fry Labs showed positive for Bartonella spp. Two western blots indicate evidence of borrelia exposure, but not CDC-positive.

Currently, she is paralyzed, on a ventilator and unable to speak or swallow.

Mike
[email protected]

www.caringbridge.com/visit/angelsforalex

Posts: 252 | From Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Female age 6

Nevada, previously Idaho and Oregon

Lots of "slight" ear infections, flu, picky eater, acid reflux, Fever of unknown origin, 5th disease, viral rash, low body temp at birth.....more just can't remember

Lyme, possibly Babs

--------------------
ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tad
Member # 14433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Sex and age of child-

Female - 6yrs (infected congentially)

Male - 4 yrs (infected congentially

2. State where you live

Out of Country (Singapore)

Chronic ear, sinus and tonsil infections. Chronic dry cough.

Lyme

Posts: 41 | From Singapore | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mommy*of*3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mommy*of*3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. (Ages at time of diagnosis)
F - 8yo
F - 4 yo
M - 18 months

2. KS (8 yo lives part time in IA)

3. Children were/are asymptomatic (sp?). They have no symptoms and are ahead of schedule for all developmental and cognitive milestones. M-18 months has some food allergies. Children were tested because I was dx with lyme.

4. Lyme. 8-yo possible current infection. 4 yo and 18 mo - probably congenital.

Posts: 101 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catskillmamala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catskillmamala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will do each child separately

1. Girl, age 5, dx age 3.5
2. NY
3. Yeast infection
4. lyme/babeosis

1. Boy, age 8, dx age 5
2. NY
3. lyme dx immediate w/ migrans rash
4. lyme

Also, thanks to other responders. I notice quite a few kids with tonsil issues. My third child is scheduled for a tonsilectomy/adenoidectomy. He was breastfeeding when I was dx. He has an appointment with Dr. J in Sept, but we've been wondering if lyme could be responsible for the breathing issues.

Posts: 524 | From Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. boy
2. age 6 (as of Aug)
3. congenital Lyme; diagnosed at age (just turned)5
4. diagnosis by duck- no diagnosis. complete disbelief that anything was wrong, doc's hopkins ID friends assured him couldn't be Lyme in any case..
5. tested positive for Lyme; according to his treating LLMD, my son's recent total relapse a strong indication of a yet unknown co-infection.
6. we live in Maryland

dill

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Female- currently 16 dx'd at 15 infected at 10/ Female currently 11 dx'd at 10 infected at 4.

2. Live now in Illinois, infected in Pa.

3. 16 yr old---Bi-Polar/Depression/Anxiety/OCD. 11 yr old--Kawasaki disease.

4. 16 yr old Lyme and Bart. 11 yr old-- Lyme.

Thanks Tinnie!

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
male, age 6 now, diagnosed at age 5, possibly infected at age 4

Dx prior to lyme: constipation (due to frequent potty accidents) strep throat, juvenile arthritis was consdered

Diagnosed, after 9 days of fever and over 20 em rashes, all over body, with very CDC positive lyme test. Clinical diagnosis of bart and possible babs.

Subsequent diagnosis: temporal lobe seizures

Thanks for asking!!
kp

Posts: 394 | From tinton falls nj | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

I have not read this post... and won't.... YET.

I am avoiding it for the moment because the adult post is so horrendous that I don't think my heart can take seeing children go through this stuff too.

BUT... I thank you all for posting.. and I WILL come back to it and use the information once I get the other article done and to the editor.

I KNOW this post is going to depress me.. so I don't want to drag it on and on... BUT... I will use it when I am able... probably next week.

PLEASE keep posting and ignore this big old sissy baby here who is hiding behind the curtain to keep her heart from breaking.

Thank you so much!!!

And I hope you understand. Some days you can look at this stuff... other days it eats you alive.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

up for more replies....

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. 15 year old female

2. Maryland!

3. Lactose intolerance, Raynaud's Syndrome,"flu",
anemia, headache due to insufficient hydration,
seen multiple times for upset stomach, headache,
mild joint pain

4.Lyme

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbourne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 year old girl

congenital lyme from tick bite on mother in CT

We live in Texas though

Diagnosed recently at age 2

Told she was lactose intolerant, ear infections, constipation, sinus infections, random unexplained fevers of over 105, slow to achieve physical milestones.

[ 20. June 2008, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: dbourne ]

Posts: 183 | From Texas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikej2323
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikej2323     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooops,...not a parent...hope that's okay.

Congratulations on becoming a grandma!!!

Mike
[email protected]

www.caringbridge.com/visit/angelsforalex

Posts: 252 | From Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. 18 now, 13 at onset of illness, male
2. Connecticut
3. Initial Lyme dx was made, but chronic lyme dx was the hard one to get. After the 3 weeks of Amoxicillin, son was NEVER the same. Diagnoses given in the years to follow:

Depression
Sleep disorder/Poor sleep hygeine
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Drug Abuse (quickly ruled out with blood test)
ADD
Lack of exercise
Overanxious parents
School Avoidance

4. Chronic Lyme Disease, Babesiosis

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. 3 daughters, now 18, 16, 13

all may have been born with this

2. NJ

3. oldest - ADD, depression

middle - caught earlier (but symptoms

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. 3 daughters, now 18, 16, 13

all may have been born with this

2. NJ

3. oldest - ADD, depression

middle - caught earlier (but symptoms
mimiced CFS, MS)

youngest - migraines, checked for arthritis

4. Lyme, Bartonella, (youngest had Erlichiosis)

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Tincup, will you be posting the article when

it is finished? I am sure I am not the only

one that would love to read it.

Congrats on you splendid news!!!

--------------------

cb

Serenity
Member # 7642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serenity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. age and sex. 17 year old female, 11 years old when bitten

2. State, live in NC, bitten in Connecticut

3. Diagnosis prior to Lyme: Drove back to NC and called pediatrician's office within 24 hours of finding the tick. Refused to see her, said to "watch the site". Within 8 days, she spiked fever of 104, headache, "out of body" feelings, mental confusion.
Brought child and tick (still alive!) to pediatrician two times in two days but were told symptoms were not related to the tick bite, "probably viral".

On day 11 classic bullseye thankfully emerged and she was given 2 weeks of doxy. Symptoms cleared up but came back within the month 10x stronger. Despite beginning aggressive antibiotic treatment within two months with the leading LLMDs in the south, our daughter's physical health and cognitive ability have never been the same. She's now on a 504 plan that covers excessive absences, fatigue, memory problems, etc.

4. CDC positive for Lyme, tested positive for Babesia, treated clinically for Bart symptoms.

Posts: 25 | From NC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Male, 15 yrs. old

2. IL

3. Costochondritis, viral, neural, psychosomatic ("it's all in his head")

4. Lyme disease, Babesiosis, and Bartonellosis

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonwithlyme
Member # 10942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonwithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1, Sex and age of child-
Male Now 12-diagnosed at 8

2. State Pennsylvania

Was told he had the flu

Lyme Disease, Bartonella

--------------------
Robin
www.caringbridge.org/visit/dustineckert

Posts: 76 | From Carlisle Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement